Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
About 10 or 12 years ago, a female co-worker's husband was found murdered and floating in a creek near their home. He was quite the avid collector of all kinds of stuff. He had an extensive and quite eclectic collection of arms.

I had always been very kind to her, so she approached me about what she should do with her husband's stuff. When I asked her about his arms, she said that she hadn't a clue about what he had or the value of them. I suggested that she let me help her to dispose of them for her.

It worked out great. He had some very fine pieces, as well as some rare and even weird (to me) stuff. I had to do some research to find values and what not. I ended up spending some time on this. She repaid me by giving me my choice of a dozen of whatever I wanted from the collection, and I would arrive at the office with wads of cash for her on a regular basis. She was well pleased, and so were my kids and I.

My daughter got a Browning 22 LR that was sleek and very nicely done. The shells fed through a hole in the side of the stock and she also got a very nice Model 7 in 243. My youngest son got a Remington Model 1100 in 410 and a Ranch rifle in 223. My older two kids got some good stuff as well, but my memory eludes me on exactly what, except that my older son did get a M1 Carbine that was in great shape. He still has it. I got a Colt Sauer in 06 (smoothest bolt action I have handled to this day), a Browning A5 in 12 ga, a Dissipator and a older Colt AR with the NAM look, and a AR Pistol with a LOUD 7 1/2" barrel (what use is it?) as well as a few more that went down the road. And lest I forget, I also got a real deal Thompson Chicago Typewriter in 45 acp (semi-auto only) that shot very nicely from the hip at reasonable ranges. I parted with it, but now wish that I had kept it, even though I only had the stick mags for it. A drum would have been nice.

My point is; if you pass on, and your wife does not know what your collection is worth, she could be taken advantage of. I would not have charged Sue a dime for helping her, but she loved me and my family because we had been very good to her over time and she knew she could trust us. She also knew that I was into firearms in a big way, and that I knew far more about them than she or her daughters did.

Unless your wife has someone that she can trust to help her dispose of your arms, or unless she knows the values herself, you will be doing what is best for her now to dispose of some of your darlings.

I know it's difficult. If a gun is reliable and shoots really well, they stay here, even if it's ugly and means more cash shelled out for another safe, but they are, after all, just tools that we use for a purpose (I can't believe I just wrote that!). Do what is best for the one that you love the most...that's the bottom line... in my mind. I will be 58 in a couple of weeks. It will be time for me to begin whittling away at my stuff soon too. Heck...I could buy a nice custom home from the proceeds if I divested myself of everything, but I don't want another home to maintain.

HR IC

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I feel your pain. I too have been attempting to downsize a little. The ones I'm currently down to are like my kids. Here is a link from David Petzal's "Gun Nut" blog at field and stream that touches on this. http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2012/06/which-ones-sell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There are a few I regret selling after the fact, years later, but a few times it was either sell a rifle or lose a roof. Easy choice there.

I think if I was like probably the majority of hunters in the US and only hunted deer locally or maybe in a few places, I'd stick to 2. A main, a back up, lets go hunt. With the variety I hunt I probably COULD get away with 2 as well, but at least in my mind something will always be lacking, and over kill/under kill. You know, the typical thoughts of us gun nuts lol. But I really am trying to whittle things down lately. I'm trying to get it down to 2 rifles for small/med game, and 2 rifles for med/large game.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

I'm in my late 60's & 5 years ago I decided to cut down to 50 guns. I sold about $20,000 of good stuff but it wasn't any fun. In the mean time I went on a spell of find some real deals on SAKOes, straight stock Marlins & custom rifles so my current inventory is about $7,000 higher than it was when I started. Most of my transactions were on local web sites.

I keep an Exel spread sheet of my inventory with values. My best friend will sell off my guns if I die first.I have given a few nice guns to friends children, who will use them. My Son In Law & Daughter live in Germany & have no interest in my guns. I have NO back up plan.

I know a good counselor....it will only cost ...ahem...5 0r 10 rifles... grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Also, if you want to discuss emotional stress, lets talk about a 60 year old woman attempting to sell off stuff after her husband just died. Stuff she likely doesn't fully understand nor appreciate how to go about selling such stuff.

Seems her worries/concerns would take precedence over keeping a rifle that Billy wanted since age 11 after watching the Lone Ranger.

YMMV

A couple of years ago I helped a lady sell off some of her deceased husbands guns. To him it was his "collection" and he had some fine rifles. To her it was just stuff. She was also afraid someone would break into the house and steal it, putting her at risk. She got a nice big check out of the deal and peace of mind. The local gun dealer got some new inventory that brought folks into his store. It was a win/win for both. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have sold a bunch of my prized guns over the years mostly to pay medical bills for my wife. I feel a bit of a pang when boxing up some of them like my Marlin Marauder 35 and Browning 1886 SRC, but as has been stated so well already, they are just things. Besides, even the very rare ones can usually be replaced with a little effort and patience.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 12/13/12.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
So you're saying sell the rifles but keep the Mustang?

[Linked Image]

that's exactly what I'm sayin'...:-)

Nice Mustang......

Shoulda kept this one......

[Linked Image]

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes I'll sell for a specific reason. A few years ago I sold about $12K worth of guns, ammo scopes, dies, etc to fund an equipment purchase I didn't want to go in debt for. Lost some nice customs, a 4" stainless Python, a Sako 22-250, some real beauties. Never looked back since my ultimate goal was met. I view guns as better than money in the bank but fluid enough to generate quick cash with. Banks pay what, 1%?! I think I'll buy guns thanks.

LOL
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
On October 1 of this year I owned 58 guns.

On October 26 of this year I owned 45 guns.

On October 29 of this year I paid off the last $30,000.00 of my mortgage with the money from the guns I sold.

I don't miss the guns, or the mortgage, a bit. What emotional stress?

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 12/13/12.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mortgage free is a good place to be. Nicely done.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
On October 1 of this year I owned 58 guns.

On October 26 of this year I owned 45 guns.

On October 29 of this year I paid off the last $30,000.00 of my mortgage with the money from the guns I sold.

I don't miss the guns, or the mortgage, a bit. What emotional stress?

That was a smart use of your rifles. wink I was thinking home remodeling.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been enjoying this tread. Something I think about often now that I'm pushing 60 years of age. One of the things I suggested to my wife if I pass first, is to have every scope taken off the hunting rifles I own and put them on ebay one at a time. It's amazing what used higher quality scopes go for on ebay. Also keeps her from getting ripped off on a expensive scope on a rifle when she sold the rifle.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heck,
I have 7 centrefires, a rimfire and three o/u shotguns .....and I think I have TOO many.......

thanks guys for putting my collection into perspective!!!!!
Gus

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,547
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.