Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
$1 more than the average Democrat voter makes. In other words... if you actually earn a paycheck (particularly from a private company and not government), regardless of amount, you are 'highly paid'.

Who makes $1 more than Warren Buffett or Bill Gates, both Democrats?

They're hardly the "average" Democratic voter, wouldn't you say?

No but they have the same mind set all turds do!

NRA Lifetime Member

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Stush
Approximately one dollar more than the person asking the question....

Sounds about right.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Stush
Approximately one dollar more than the person asking the question....

Sounds about right.

$13/hr. according to another thread here.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was also privileged to have supportive parents that encouraged me, pushed me, and helped me financially, so as to enable me to go to the University of British Columbia to get my degree.

In the town I live in - university degrees are pretty few and far between.

Should people like me (the privileged) pay a higher tax rate then those who earn less than me?

In my opinion - we should.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Beats me.

I go to work,....make stuff because it's just what I do,....have direct deposit.

I honestly don't exactly know what my take home pay is for a 40 hour week.

My wife writes the checks out and pays the bills and nothing's been shut off yet,..so it's evidently a good system.

All I know is,...usually when I want to buy something, there's enough money for it.

I never really developed that materialistic "thing",...but seems to me it must be a burden.

Bristoe - I was in your shoes back in 08/09 when after 17 years of marriage I had the Big D, I had no clue as to my pay check size or our bills or insurance or anything and I had to learn it all real quick, it was over-welming, I got it under control quckly and will never let myself NOT be in total control of my money/expenses again. But for you, you'll prolly be lucky enough to never experience Divorce.

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Powerguy
What exactly is the threshold one must cross to be considered highly paid?

Thoughts?

It probably depends on what the cost of living is where you are. Take an "average" salary from California and move to Montana, and you're rich.

We just had a friend who has lived in California for the last 30 years retire, and then move away because he can't afford to continue living there on his retirement income...

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago, someone did a survey on how much more money people thought they needed to be happy. Regardless of income level, from low to high income, they all said 10%.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Should people like me (the privileged) pay a higher tax rate then those who earn less than me?

It still seems to me that everyone should pay the same percentage of income, whatever that is... Say, 10%. Earn $10,000, pay $1,000. Earn $100,000, pay $10,000. That seems very simple and easy. No loopholes, no deductions.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was also privileged to have supportive parents that encouraged me, pushed me, and helped me financially, so as to enable me to go to the University of British Columbia to get my degree.

Then by all means write that check to the government every year only don't compel us to do the same.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
A lot of it what is high paid is totally where you live. I was down at the local PD a few years ago getting a pistol permit and they had a bulletin board with town positions advertised. I might be off 1K or 3K, but if UI remember

asistant Hr director 106K

starting pay town cop 91K

I really thought that the cop was over paid, but assistant HR for a town at 106K? no wonder I pay 9K in property tax on 2200SF 3 bedroom house

Last week I was out in northern CA and I rode the BART, apparently the starting pay for a BART cop is 123K and transfers from other departments up to 160+K, thats just from the adds they hung in all the stations.

I wonder if Cops in CA get retirement at 20 years..be nice to collect half that paycheck and move to the sticks down south.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn

It still seems to me that everyone should pay the same percentage of income, whatever that is... Say, 10%. Earn $10,000, pay $1,000. Earn $100,000, pay $10,000. That seems very simple and easy. No loopholes, no deductions.

Penny
The problem is that probably 50% of my income is going to taxes already. Income tax, property tax, school tax, sales tax, fuel tax, sweet geezus it never ends and this bloated leach is bleeding me dry ! Methinks your 10% figure would be best applied to cuts in Government spending, across the board, every department, wages and bennies of Govt. employees {including and especially those who are elected}, Welfare, military EVERYTHING ! I simply can't afford to support this giant , slimy parasite anymore !

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn

Penny

I would go with that..I think that some of the estimates for fair tax were we would need 18-23% to cover the bills. I think I would go for that as well.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Thoughts?

Any amount that the government can justifying taxing. And believe me, the rich aren't going to pay more. It'll be the middle class who the government will decree are rich & not paying their fair share.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
doesn't the 250k number put you in the top 1% ?

If you cross 98k they stop collecting social security tax from ya...

so maybe it's 98k?

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/13/12.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Thoughts?

I think it depends on what you do. I get paid more than I should for what I do. grin Do I make a lot of money? I wouldn't say so but others might.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Beats me.

I honestly don't exactly know what my take home pay is for a 40 hour week.

I'm in the same boat. I couldn't tell you what I make per hour without looking at a check stub. My annual salary isn't even right because I get OT and take as much as I can get so that is different too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by noKnees
A lot of it what is high paid is totally where you live. I was down at the local PD a few years ago getting a pistol permit and they had a bulletin board with town positions advertised. I might be off 1K or 3K, but if UI remember

I really thought that the cop was over paid, but assistant HR for a town at 106K? no wonder I pay 9K in property tax on 2200SF 3 bedroom house

Last week I was out in northern CA and I rode the BART, apparently the starting pay for a BART cop is 123K and transfers from other departments up to 160+K, thats just from the adds they hung in all the stations.

I wonder if Cops in CA get retirement at 20 years..be nice to collect half that paycheck and move to the sticks down south.

Housing in the BART area typically starts at $550,000 and easily goes to over
$1,000,000 for average homes in the East Bay area.

State CHP have PERS retirement that gives them 3% for each service year after they turn 50, with a cap at 90%. Bigger municipalities are similar.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Well, my ex-wife is an HR director and makes a hellova lot more than that so for that position, I'd say it's low.

You pay $9K in property taxes because you're crazy enough to do that for that home. Jeezh...I thought mine were pretty high. They're less than 1/3 of yours. Do you like it there that much?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Then by all means write that check to the government every year only don't compel us to do the same.

Brilliant idea!

Taxation by choice.

Why didn't I think of that! grin

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs

Housing in the BART area typically starts at $550,000 and easily goes to over
$1,000,000 for average homes in the East Bay area.

State CHP have PERS retirement that gives them 3% for each service year after they turn 50, with a cap at 90%. Bigger municipalities are similar.

Onerous pension liabilities is the primary reason municipalities are broke. Their resort is to hit up taxpayers for more $$$ to fund unsustainable pensions. Keep in mind that our population is growing older, which means fewer workers to fund pension liabilities. So where is money going to come from to fund public sector pension liabilities if our labor force is shrinking?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,243 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,253
Posts18,486,286
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.