Print Thread
Hop To
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Looking for a "trainer" 1911/.22lr. Which one is the best (most accurate and best functioning). Good trigger a must!

Also on the conversion units, they seem so prone to malfunctions, FTF, FTE, etc.

optics capable a plus.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I don't care much for a 22lr converson kit (myself). I would much rather buy a 'whole' gun, that's 'dedicated' to 22 caliber.

But I also don't care much for any of the 22 caliber 1911 style handguns that I've seen.

If I wanted a quality 22 cal handgun for use as a "1911 Trainer" - that was extremely dependable, and accurate. I would buy a Ruger 22/45 pistol which has the features:
grip design, controls, feel, and handling of a 1911 handgun.

I know 'this' response does not directly answer your question ... but many handgun shooters DO purchase the Ruger 22/45 specifically for '1911' training/practice purposes.

B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Don't appologize, I agree with you about the Ruger, They are very nice and well made.

I need to hit a gun show and check out as many as I can. I do like the looks of the SIG. The Browning is nice but it's TINY.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 22lr conversion for the P220 is one of the most accurate .22 pistols I've ever used. 1.5" groups shot over a fence rail as a rest at 25-30 yards is normal and easy.

It's especially easy with the crimson trace laser dot on the bullseye. I'll guess that at this point I have 100:1 .22s over the .45 through that gun. Of course my 10 year old shoots that .22 by the milk carton full. Since shooting the .45 barrel on that gun now, he does seem to like the feeling of the power. I guess the adage be careful what you ask for is true. I wanted him to shoot the .45, and now the costs will go through the roof if he shoots that as much!

Guess a dillon is in my future either way!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Ciener .22 conversion units are very accurate and completely reliable. My only problem is that JA Ciener is a first rate A-hole, but his conversion unit is the cheapest one out there and it�s a damn good conversion unit, one of the most reliable. They are not offered with any sort of optics rail, so you�d have to do something like a rail grip panel, or some other provision. If you want something with built in rails, then look at the Marvel conversion unit.

I really like the idea of a .22lr conversion unit for training; gets you always feeling the same grip and manipulating the same trigger; best training aid money can buy. And then once you have your conversion unit, feel free to pick up a dedicated .22lr if you like. My best bud has a conversion unit and a good .22lr handgun, but his .22lr handgun just collects dust these days; the conversion unit gets all the range time anymore.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

If I was going to do it, I'd have a conversion unit on a 1911 frame and I would leave it on there.

And I'd have another 1911 in .45 acp, that I would leave alone.

Come on, how many guys on this forum have multiple 1911s?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exactly Kevin, that .22 conversion on the sig resides on the frame the majority of the time. I might also add that the Stingers are phenomenal accurate and amazingly deadly on small game.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The Marvel Unit 1 is great. It feeds standard and high vel just fine. Some of the conversion units can only cycle high vel. Mine is very accurate and it will take a scope rail but it won't fit in standard 1911 holsters and, admittedly, it's is very hold sensitive. That is a good thing because it forces consistency.

The other thing is some conversion units don't have slide hold open after the last shot. Read the specs carefully if you go that route and it is important to you.

[Linked Image]

The very first 20 rounds I put through mine... (left target hig hvel and right ones standard vel).
[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 12/13/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Exactly Kevin, that .22 conversion on the sig resides on the frame the majority of the time. I might also add that the Stingers are phenomenal accurate and amazingly deadly on small game.
I've found that the Mini-Mag is consistently the most accurate high velocity .22lr load; but glad to hear yours shoots Stingers well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tjm10025

If I was going to do it, I'd have a conversion unit on a 1911 frame and I would leave it on there.

And I'd have another 1911 in .45 acp, that I would leave alone.

Come on, how many guys on this forum have multiple 1911s?

I only have one ... It's a Kimber Custom II. I use Kimber's 22lr conversion kit. It is awesome. Mini-Mags are pretty much required for the gun to be reliable. Using Mini-Mags I have never had a malfunction. Some day I'd like a second 1911, either Ruger or another Kimber (never an issue with that either :))

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I like the looks of the Marvel. Does the slide stay back on it after the last shot?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
GSG 1911 22LR, Great guns and function very good. Better than anything out there in my opinion. I own one and it is a shooter. Also the Sig 1911 are good, also made by GSG.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Life member of the NRA
Endowment Member of the NRA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I was just going to start a thread for suggestions of a 1911 style 22 for my son. My main requirement, other than being a quality gun, is to have the same controls as a standard 1911.
The gun will be used mainly for plinking. I came across the Chiappa 1911-22. What are your thoughts on this gun? Remember, it will be used by my 13 year old son for plinking and for learning good and safe gun habits.
Thanks

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I like the looks of the Marvel. Does the slide stay back on it after the last shot?

Mine does not but Marvel sells version that do.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well....I am one of those guys that does have a "few" 1911s...and a "few" of them are .22s.

First question is...what are you doing with your current 1911. Concealed Carry...IDPA...IPSC....Bullseye...informal target work...plinking.... Reason I ask is there are a lot of different setups and the purchase of one may not fit with what you use your 1911 to "train" for.

There are two Marvel Units...the Unit I an Unit II. The Unit I is made to be a very accurate match gun. The sights can be a BoMar style adjustable or Weaver rail. You can get both for the same unit. The Unit II is more like a standard 1911 upper. It is more appropriate if you are doing a lot of practice from the holster and using the 1911 for carry/personal defense.

Ceiner has the standard and Platinum models. Standard is fixed sights and the Platinum is like a Gold Cup. I am not sure of the status of the company right now as Mr. Ceiner was arrested a few months back.

Kimber...has both a dedicated .22 and a conversion unit. I have one of the dedicated .22 and while all aluminum and light is an EXCELLENT shooter.

If you have a Colt and want to stay all Colt there are lots of the old Conversion Units out there that run $350-450.00. A full ACE is now in the $1200 range.

Here are a few of mine...

Marvel Unit II on a Commander...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Top: Kimber
Right: Super Elite w/Colt Conversion Unit
Left: Colt Combat Commander with Pacmayer/Peters Stahl Commander Conversion
Bottom: 1968 GM .45 with Colt round Top Conversion with BoMar sights

[Linked Image]

Dan Wesson Pointman frame with Ceiner Platinum Cup conversion

[Linked Image]

...ten yards...three magazines each gun...

[Linked Image]

...and an ACE...

[Linked Image]

Once broken in and with a magazine the unit likes I have had no feeding problems and most will function with any .22 ammo fed...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Deputy, look at the new Browning, small .22 1911. It is VERY well made

B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
RJM, I do have a highly customized Colt LW Commander. I never shoot it. Will one of the Marvel units fit it? I guess I could check their website.

B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
sorry, i just looked closer at your thread. You have a Marvel on a Comander

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Buzz...as you saw, yes Marvel has a unit just for Commanders...both the Unit I and Unit II. I ended up with both of them. A friend who was into Commanders first bought the Unit II pictured above for combat practice....he didn't like it and sold it to me. Then he bought a Unit II for speed plate shooting...ended up going to a Tactical Solutions custom Buckmark instead so I ended up with that unit also...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The Ciener .22 conversion units are very accurate and completely reliable. My only problem is that JA Ciener is a first rate A-hole, but his conversion unit is the cheapest one out there and it�s a damn good conversion unit, one of the most reliable. They are not offered with any sort of optics rail, so you�d have to do something like a rail grip panel, or some other provision. If you want something with built in rails, then look at the Marvel conversion unit.

I really like the idea of a .22lr conversion unit for training; gets you always feeling the same grip and manipulating the same trigger; best training aid money can buy. And then once you have your conversion unit, feel free to pick up a dedicated .22lr if you like. My best bud has a conversion unit and a good .22lr handgun, but his .22lr handgun just collects dust these days; the conversion unit gets all the range time anymore.

I had a Ciener and at first it had some hickups but I took it and really gave it a good cleaning with Breakfree it ran just fine.
I had a very respected dealer who I believe is very credable suggested if I left the conversion on my Colt I would see wear because of how dirty rim fire is. So I moved the conversion to a Taurus I had but with this in mind I just wound up selling it. Kevin (or anyone that has an opionion of course) what do you think about that?
Seems like if you clean it with regularity you should be fine there are time I wish I had not sold it

I bought a GSG and the safety broke while I was cleaning it and when I took it apart and saw so much plastic I offed it quick BUT IT DID FUNCTION WELL They sent me new parts customer serv was quite good but I believe that any gun worth owning will function long after I am gone

I just picked up a 22/45 from a local shop because it was a great deal I usually stick with Mark IIs but at the deal I wanted to try it. Edit I just figured out this is before the Mark IIIs little less BS not kinda cool
That will function long after I am gone I am sure Not sure how close it is to a real 1911 yet but I will find out soon

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 12/16/12.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

203 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.