Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pics and a full report afterward, please! grin

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wonderful shooting demonstration! I wouldn't even try at that distance! You, sir, are a competent marksman!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

"How do you know I wouldn't show up at Camp Perry?....I'm in"

Scenar - Well played... you're one of the few that "Walk the Walk"..... BTW, beautiful buck!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great buck..Love those unusual racks..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice old buck and yotes Pat, congrats.

rost495, I've known, hunted with, and shot with Pat for over 30 years. There are no flys on his shooting abilities with any of his rifles or his Model 12.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
who the )(&_(*& ever said there were flies on his shooting or rifles.

This was a simple question that has been avoided by him over and over again. Dragged into a (*&(*& mudbath.

And then linked to a post I made simply stating that there were also many ways to get to a great shooting rifle rather than pay for a big name to do it.

anyone care to answer my question instead of flogging something else into the mud.

And yep, when I go back to Perry I'll let y'all all know. Havent been in a few years since I decided hunting was more important than competing. I"m not scared of shooting or being beat or beating someone else. Though how the )(_& we got to that point I never have figured out. Evidently a weinie contest isn't enough these days.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Alright, enough is enough. Lets drop it and move on.......

Genetics within bucks play a large part of growing bucks like the one's above. These three bucks were killed in 2009, 2010 and 2011 less than two air miles from where I shot my buck this fall. The only buck I regret shooting is the wide, thin horned buck without eyeguards. He was only 4 1/2 years old. I can only imagine what he would have been at 6 1/2.

Age will regress a set of antlers drastically. I hunted a buck in this same area some years back that was an absolute "pisscutter". I first got my eye on him early in the fall of 2006 while bow hunting elk. He had a large, box shaped frame with deep forks and better than average mass, with a long drop tine coming straight down off the left main beam. I took a few pictures of him through my spotter and figured he was 5 1/2 that fall. I looked for him the rest of the season through November and never saw him again. The following fall, I only saw him one time and he gave me the slip. He had six or eight does with him as the rut was in full swing and I figured his guard was down. What I found out was he forgot about those does in a hurry and left the country when he saw me on a skyline 1/2 mile away trying to close the distance. His antlers were only slightly wider and taller than 2006, but they were much heavier and had a few more "sticker" points on the back forks. I never saw him in 2008, or 2009, but found him again in 2010. He was super heavy and still had the drop tine coming off the left main beam, but everything was short and stunted. That was early October, before rifle season. I never saw him again and assumed he died that winter....I still think about that buck even more than the bucks I've shot and taken home over the years.

I love the mystery of hunting big mule deer bucks.....I hope the desire stays with me many more years.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool old buck! I'd dump him. His pedicles look crooked with the skull?
Always enjoy scenars' pics.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
good narrative, Pat--i can see it all quite clearly in my minds eye.

there is something about seeing a buck over and over, through a season--or a few seasons--that builds a magic that exceeds the ones on the ground.

i often wonder about that godzilla whitey that outfoxed me in '74, and that super wide whitey that outfoxed both of us in '75. we killed some reasonably big whitetails back in the day--success--but the lure of those whose chapters were "unwritten--and unknown" live on in the memory like those special stories that have no end...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great buck, and great shooting!

Isaiah 6:8

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Beautiful bucks scenar. I never get tired of your pics.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

Nice buck, too!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (338reddog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 23 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.