Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7164658 12/09/12
dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This past summer i built a big 12x8 enclosed & insulated stand with my cousin that overlooks a large corn/bean field adjacent to our land. There are always deer out there with quite a few big bucks roaming around and most shot's are within 200 yards but i seen a monster, and when i say monster i mean the biggest buck ive ever seen, looked like a 7x7 but could have been bigger. It was at a ranged 517 yard's and i just couldn't take the shot with my 30-06. The farthest ive shot a deer was just over 260 yards. I recently bought a 25-06 and im wondering if it'd have the knockdown power for a ~400 yard shot on a deer that likely weighs 250-275 pounds? I'll be shooting 100 gr TTSX loads. Should i buy a 264 win mag or 7mm mag specifically for sitting in this stand or will my 25-06 be sufficient? Either way i need to practice shooting at longer ranges this off season so i can make a clean, ethical kill. Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Cory

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Going from 260 to 517 yards is a big jump.
Sounds like some serious range time is in order.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Like i said in my last sentence, ill be spending some time at the range this off season.
Maybe you missed that part?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 7 mag should do the trick. There are a better variety of bullets too. Have you tried shooting your 06 at those extended ranges? You might be surprised.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No problem with either of the -06 cartridges. The 100gr TTSX will get the job done superbly, assuming you put the bullet in the right place. No need for another rifle, just a bunch of practice, as you mentioned.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Personally, I'd be using my 260 Rem over a 25/06...

a little practice AND the right scope features... would be as easy as a 100 yd target after a while...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Cory,

If you're 30-06 is reasonably accurate and you have quality optics with the right features and use good high BC bullets, that shot would be well within it's capability. Might be another option for you to consider.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
either '06 will work just fine with practice. you will need @10MOA witch is @ 3/4 turn on most scopes.

Since your stand is "fixed" in one location,great practice would be to set clay pigeons all over the place and mark the "come ups" needed to break them.Learning wind at the same time. A range finder is a plus.
jbm calculations can help you with your drops.

Last edited by rem06; 12/10/12.

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
dubya,

The .25-06 or .30-06 will work fine.

So would any of the other cartridges people have pushed so far on this thread, which is pretty much the state of the world: A lot of cartridges work for a lot of hunting--especially deer hunting.

But in my experience the .25-06 is one of the better deer rounds for ranges like you'll be shooting.It doesn't kick very hard, is easy to get to shoot accurately, and kills 'em quickly. It's highly favored by hunters in Montana not just for deer but elk, and is also popular among hunters living in western Canada after really big-bodied deer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't hesitate taking a shot on a deer at 500 yards with the 25-06, that is if i know for sure where my rifle was hitting at that distant. The 25-06 is about as good as it gets for Whitetail at any distant you can place your bullet where it needs to go. I'm not sure the Barnes is the best bullet in your rifle shooting at that distant since it may not open up all that well way out there. I would use the Nosler 100 or 115 gr BT or the 110 Accubond with Rel 22 if shooting past 300 yards , but this is just my opinion.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put a turret on it and watch things get really easy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rem06
either '06 will work just fine with practice. you will need @10MOA witch is @ 3/4 turn on most scopes.

Since your stand is "fixed" in one location,great practice would be to set clay pigeons all over the place and mark the "come ups" needed to break them.Learning wind at the same time. A range finder is a plus.

dubya,

This is sage advice from rem06. While either will do the job, personally I'd lean toward the .30 cal's more energy on target at 500 yards. So try both at the clays, or silhouettes or whatever, and see which rifle you shoot the best at long-range.

The idea to practice from the blind is positively brilliant. The more you can do immediately post-season the better in terms of approximating hunting conditions (weather, wind, clothing, etc.). IDK how relevant it would be in your situation, but as next season draws near, you might cut the field practice back after mid-summer so as not to interfere too greatly with the deer's patterns.

You've picked a nice challenge. I hope you find the big boy's sheds and that he's still around for you next year.

RH

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Postscript,

You might also consider putting up wind flags at various points around the field. Stakes with surveyor's tape would do I think. Doing so well in advance of next season would let the deer get used to them.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem06

Great idea!

dubya Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bea175
I wouldn't hesitate taking a shot on a deer at 500 yards with the 25-06, that is if i know for sure where my rifle was hitting at that distant. The 25-06 is about as good as it gets for Whitetail at any distant you can place your bullet where it needs to go. I'm not sure the Barnes is the best bullet in your rifle shooting at that distant since it may not open up all that well way out there. I would use the Nosler 100 or 115 gr BT or the 110 Accubond with Rel 22 if shooting past 300 yards , but this is just my opinion.

I found the Barnes VORTX 100gr TTSX 25-06 loads on sale fairly cheap so i picked up 5 boxes and figure i better use em up. Ive had awesome performance out of the TTSX in 7-08, 30-06 and 338 Federal (expansion and penetration). The longest shot I've taken a deer at with one was only ~150 yards though so i don't have long range experience with them although Barnes states they reliably open up at velocities as low as 1200 fps i believe. The Nosler BT may be better at long range but i already have 100 TTSX loads and they're so far so good for me and i may as well try them. They've also been the most accurate bullets in my other Montana's do I'm hoping it'll be the same with the new 25-06 Montana.

To everyone else, thank you for all the great opinions. It really is helpful. Im lucky to have a job where i only have to work 8 months a year (concrete work) and still make decent money. I have the next 4 month's off smile so ill have plenty of time to get some more long range experience. Im going to talk to the farmer and make sure it's okay to put up multiple target's at different ranges and angles in his crop field. I'm sure he won't care as he hates the deer eating his crops! Thanks again fellas, keep the opinions coming!

Cory

Last edited by dubya; 12/10/12.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Sorry Dubya,

You are correct, I missed your last line.

My advice, put some good glass with mildot/TMR, and turrets on which ever rifle shoots better. The deer will be too dead to know the difference. Spend some good quality time at the range. Hold yourself to a 1 MOA standard, and move out 100 yards at a time. It's a good way to streatch yourself. You might not get him this year, but next year, that buck won't be very safe.

As an alternative, if you want to get serious about the LR game, build a purpose build LR rig...Think 7mm STW/300 RUM, in a long, heavy barrel configuration (like a Sendero), with good glass, reticle, turrents, and magnification....maybe 6.5-20 range.

Once you get good with it, it will change the way you hunt.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Skip the magums. No deer will know the difference.

Turret for the 25-06, and practice.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Skip the magums. No deer will know the difference.

Turret for the 25-06, and practice.
the deer wont but it will make it alot easier to shoot farther distances

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would switch bullets to a 115grn ballistic tip, but the 25-06 is plenty of gun for a 500yrd shot on deer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its not a 25-06 but rather a 257 Weatherby (which is very similar) shooting 100 grain TSX's. Range was 425 yards and I merely held high on the shoulder.Quite a bit heavier than 250 lbs.....all it did was one or two 5 yard circles and DRT'd!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,662
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.