Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 30 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 29 30
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Something that I feel also needs to be addressed in this mess is the impact on the LEO and medical personnel who responded to the scene.

I can't imagine having to walk in on a disaster like this and having to sort everything out.

May the Lord keep and comfort them also.

I thought that very thing on the drive home today. terrible impact on everyone involved.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Calhoun

As the father of 3 teenage boys, I can tell you that 95% of kids play violent video games. You wouldn't believe the grief I get for restricting my kids because apparently no other parent in the world does. And even the T rated games are violent, just no gore or extremely foul language.

So saying that it's video games is stupid. No more than saying that all the mass murders before video games were due to parents allowing their kids to play cowboys and indians and pretend to shoot people.

Actually, it's just as stupid as the anti's saying it's because of lax gun laws.

Exactly, inanimate objects do not cause these things to happen. A video game is just a game, a movie is just a movie, and a gun is just a gun. None of them make people do things.

Funny thing is these are the same people who laugh a liberals when they talk about it being the guns fault, yet will turn around and say the same thing about video games, because, much like the liberals with guns banning violent video game wouldn't effect them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wife's best friend was over this last weekend, she lives right next door to this and has a kid in grade school. Froze my insides when I heard about it, finding out that her kid goes to a school in Danbury helped but I can't imagine the pain those families and that community is feeling.

My oldest is 20, and I still get worried when I hear about car wrecks locally until I know where he is.

Prayers to the families, first responders, other kids and the community.

Last edited by Calhoun; 12/14/12.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bucktales
I also am praying for the first responders.
To witness that sort of carnage, especially children,will leave a lasting impression.

That's true. We tend to ignore the effects on them when it's all over.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
One reporter said there was a high caliber .223 rifle involved.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bocefish

CNN also reports that a Bushmaster rifle was found at the scene along with the Glock and the Sig.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

All afternoon, the local news anchor was calling it a "very large two hundred and twenty three caliber rifle".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by heavywalker

As the father of 3 teenage boys, I can tell you that 95% of kids play violent video games. You wouldn't believe the grief I get for restricting my kids because apparently no other parent in the world does. And even the T rated games are violent, just no gore or extremely foul language.

So saying that it's video games is stupid. No more than saying that all the mass murders before video games were due to parents allowing their kids to play cowboys and indians and pretend to shoot people.

Actually, it's just as stupid as the anti's saying it's because of lax gun laws.

Exactly, inanimate objects do not cause these things to happen. A video game is just a game, a movie is just a movie, and a gun is just a gun. None of them make people do things.

Funny thing is these are the same people who laugh a liberals when they talk about it being the guns fault, yet will turn around and say the same thing about video games, because, much like the liberals with guns banning violent video game wouldn't effect them.

No one said anything about banning video games violent or otherwise. Parents do need to understand the damage these games can do to developing minds and be on their guard.

I don't want to take this thread off track but this does need a thread of it's own.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went up to my kids school and demanded the principal and I asked how my tax dollars were being used to protect my kids from 7:50-2:50 everyday

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

WTF is a high caliber .223.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

And that's the truth in a nutshell.

It comes down to numbers and prediction.

Several shootings are committed with AR-15s, and get wide publicity, so they must be the problem. However, what is the percentage of such rifles used in crimes, maybe 2%?

Same with what is known about mental illness. A few persons proved to be mentally ill commit tragic and heinous crimes and it's all over the news, so we conclude that mental illness is the cause and ignore the fact that only a tiny portion of the total mentally ill population commits violent acts.

Some would say the same about veterans, who have to face the stigma because a few do bad things.

Same with video games. Influence of video games may be a factor in the behavior of some people, but not most who watch the games.

So on and on it goes, as we try to find answers to the unfathomable.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Schizophrenics are seldom violent

Who told you that?

In my case, courses in psychopathology and two years working in a hospital conducting diagnostic evaluations. Not a field I stayed in, however.

Ask any mental health professional or look it up yourself.

Don't confuse the fact that certain individuals are violent with a generality.

A fairly recent major study at the medical school at the Univ. of NC looked at several factors as predictors of violent behavior. Mental illness was way down the list, not even statistically significant.

Paul

Well it isn't my experience. In Santa Cruz there are swarms of homeless, it is usually the mentally ill who go on the attack of their fellow homeless.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Paul39
Same with video games. Influence of video games may be a factor in the behavior of some people, but not most who watch the games.

Paul,
There are a fair number of studies coming out recently and locally that contradict the notion that games have no significant effect. Not that I've read them but they have been publicized in your local media.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Extremely sad and there will be another wave of gun control.

That I oppose, but would support the heaviest of punishments for anyone committing a willful crime with a firearm. And I mean serious time. If anything, gun owners should climb on board such an effort.

That will never stop some of the nuts that come totally out of the blue, but might stop some of the young punks that start packing and threatening at an early age.

Question: As I have not been near any news. Did the shooter take himself out?

Last edited by 1minute; 12/14/12.

1Minute
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I too wonder what is the cause of these kinds of shootings. Bad parenting, hundreds of hours killing people of video games, how about the removal from ADD and ADHD drugs.

These tragedies will not stop until the real cause is found and corrected.

I played Cowboys and Indians as a kid and server in both law enforcement and the military but I would do my absolute best to keep from taking a life. Somewhere in the brains of these few something is really wrong. We must somehow find it and fix it.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
496 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is anyone hearing that two pistols found inside the school and .223 found inside a car???

AN OATH IS NOT SOMETHING YOU GIVE BACK UNLESS YOUR A POLITICIAN!

RACISM ALWAYS EQUALS FEAR!

THE WANTS OF THE FEW SHOULD NOT OUTWEIGH THE RIGHT OF THE MANY!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
cnn now reports that there was no body in the Hoboken home. What a mess of misinformation.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Think about it, Barkhoff. The mentally ill who are among the homeless are not a representative sample of the mentally ill population. They are unable to cope, which is a major factor in their being homeless. Same with those who cause trouble requiring the attention of law enforcement. You don't see the majority who go about leading responsible lives, albeit with some degree of impairment.

Want to see dangerous mentally ill folk? Check a state mental hospital where the criminally insane are kept. I once served on a board with the assistant director of such an institution. Told about a patient who threatened to decapitate a staff member and roll his head down the hall, and did it. The most dangerous person I encountered in my brief hospital tenure wasn't even a psych. patient, he came from neurology.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by heavywalker

BINGO....the hypocrisy is palpable.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Went up to my kids school and demanded the principal and I asked how my tax dollars were being used to protect my kids from 7:50-2:50 everyday

Good on you....what did they say? (not meant to side track this thread)

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 18 of 30 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (35, AceBall, achlupsa, Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 12 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,968
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.