-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Admit it, waterfowl can be challenging to fix and eat; most often it ends up dry as the Gobi Desert or, in spite of all the soaking and/or disguising, it tastes a lot like the swamp smells. I'm not being critical, just truthful. However, I am on a quest to find the best goose recipe ever since I have a few in the freezer, and I don't want them to go to waste. Fire away, you avian epicureans: let's have a recipe or two for what ya slew at the slough!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a die hard waterfowler. What I like to do when I shoot ducks and geese is this...give them to people who actually do like to eat them, and then I'll cook myself a nice ribeye!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
goose jerky...

Andrew
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For ducks put in a pot of cool water and slowly bring to boiling. Then cook normally. Gets the strong/slough taste out.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the tips, fellas. Mostly I had been the "give-them-to-someone-else" guy, but have recently been enamored of a friend's superb goose sausage recipe that I'm gonna try with the few I've kept. May try some of the other idees with a spare duck or two. The jerky I've had has been good, though. Just thought there might be something really innovative out there that I hadn't heard of or tried yet. So many geese, so few ideas....

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Unsalted, unflavored jerked duck makes a great training treat for dogs.

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The key with any red fleshed game bird like geese and ducks is not to treat it as poultry. I only eat the breasts rest gets boiled up for the dogs. The breasts get cooked like beef. Of course a little extra prep is needed. My favorite way to cook ducks and geese is to cut the breast into strips the long way about 1/2" thick. Then I poke the strips with a fork several times. Work your way up and down the the strip a couple times poking a line of holes.

Next marinate. Can of coke couple tablespoons soy sauce four or five cloves of garlic crushed and some black pepper. Marinate for at least four or five hours to over night. Ducks don't need as long as geese. Once they marinate drain them and dry thoroughly. Thread couple strips onto skewers. Grill them over a very hot grill preferable natural lump charcoal. Don't cook too long couple three minutes a side at most. DO NOT cook past medium med rare is better. You only need to turn them once. If you like you can brush them with a teriayke sauce as they come off the grill. Everyone that has tried these thinks they are beef or maybe venison.

Another great recipe is to freeze the breasts. Don't freeze solid just want them kind of icy and firm. Use a sharp knife cut very thin slices across the grain. Marinate for about an hour in half a cup of soy tablespoon sesame oil couple cloves chopped garlic black pepper. You can use the slices a couple ways. Use as you would use beef in a stir fry or any chinese type beef dish such as beef and broccoli. Cook hot and fast. Next thing to do with same meat is again cook hot and fast. Then get some flat breads or pitas. Makes a great sandwich. Top with whatever you like. You can also do a marinade of olive oil garlic and Greek spices and come up with a damn good gyro.

Kind of an odd one is to do schnitzel. Use duck or goose instead of veal. Pound the breast down to about a quarter of an inch working the edges out so you end up with a decent sized cutlet. Dust in flour then into milk and egg then bread crumbs. Fry fast in butter. Serve with some spaetzles a bit of red cabbage excellent meal.

Final thing is fajitas. Again very thin slices. I usually just marinate in a bit of oil with any packaged fajita seasoning and a bit of lime.

Really you can do most anything. Just treat as beef. Marinating and hot fast cooking and not over cooking are the keys. Cooking technique will do more for ducks and geese than the seasonings you choose.

B
OP Offline
B
Man, Mike7mm08, you're making my taste buds have a runaway. Can't wait to try a few of the recipes. Thanks for the info. I'll report back after the feast...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love duck, and geese, here's what you do:

In a pot for a marinade put apples. oranges, any wine, old no good or good, and onions, marinade all day in this, also apple juice orange juice etc.

then, pat dry, stuff the insides with onions and celery, and season the outside to your taste, me, garlic powder, pepper, cajon seasonings, and bbq.

Send any guests home early who dont like this as they are sissie's and dont appreciate wild waterfowl........LOL. enjoy!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Duck Breast. Just slow cook skin on breast in a black Iron skillet in duck fat or butter. Slowly raise the heat as the cooking progresses. About medium on my gas burner at the end. Salt and pepper. Stop at medium rare. Deglaze the pan with red wine and red current jelly for a sauce.
Slice thin and serve.

Goose breast is awesome in strips on wood skewers marinated in teriaki and grilled. But I like the jerky a lot too.
I roast a whole plucked goose or duck once a year. A bit more work but worth it. Salt and pepper with orange and sage in the cavity.
If you have a bunh of geese be sure to get the legs off the carcass. Skin off or on. I pressure cook them in chicken stock with no salt.
Debone the meat and serve over risoto or make gumbo. Same for duck legs but I dont pressure cook them.
IF any of your birds are shot up a bit clean the parts in cold tap water best you can and then brine the parts in kosher salt. Just dont add a lot of salt to any cooking after this or you will over do it.
For seaducks a close friend uses a pineapple juice soak to take the strong flavor out. High acidity works very well.
Just a few ideas.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lovemy99
goose jerky...

Exactly

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,076
Posts18,521,761
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.