Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Never have owned a Remington 700 and with all these freaky stories of the rifle going off when the safety is switched to fire or when unloading. Yes, I understand this could happen with any firearm but mostly you hear about the Remington. My local Sportsmans Warehouse is selling the stainless model 700 for $450 with a junk scope. Seems like a great deal. I heard they corrected the trigger issue in 2007, should I be worried? I would like to get one in .270 Win. or should I stick with Savage and the Accutrigger?

Save Some Elk, Shoot A Wolf...........
HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would have kept the M70 you just sold!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Get it the triggers are fine load up some 130 partitions or Barnes and kill stuff, I can't believe I just said that as I hate a 270, as a matter of fact scratch that and buy a 30-06

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I would have kept the M70 you just sold!

Ha, I have more....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The Remington should be fine, it'll have the new trigger anyway. I'd load up some 130gr Hot-Cors or Interlocks though..work great on deer sized on down and they are half the price of Partitions. wink

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Im not questioning the capability of the .270. Whats in question is the safety of these new Remingtons.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you don't f with the triggers and keep her clean you will not have any problems. I have been shooting 700's since 1964 with no problems.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've bought 3 in the last 2 weeks. After looking them over I said time to get some. I think they are doing better, build wise, than a few years ago.

I've owned several over the years, most bought used. In every case they were gunked up with WD 40 and the trigger/safety were an accident waiting to happen.

So, yes, find your favorite caliber, scope it up and go play.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wouldn't do it. The net is filled with tales and rumours from folks that haven't ever owned a Remington but are still experts. And they've all got a tale that they heard from their BIL that got it from a guy who overheard it in a bar.... Also, as any real hunter knows, the woods are littered with the various hunks and pieces that fall off of Remingtons.
With their junky construction and unreliable functions it is just amazing that there are more Remingtons being sold than all of the other rifles combined.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys... I am going to check them out tomorrow. I think these are the ADL model.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would without hesitation.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
I wouldn't do it. The net is filled with tales and rumours from folks that haven't ever owned a Remington but are still experts. And they've all got a tale that they heard from their BIL that got it from a guy who overheard it in a bar.... Also, as any real hunter knows, the woods are littered with the various hunks and pieces that fall off of Remingtons.
With their junky construction and unreliable functions it is just amazing that there are more Remingtons being sold than all of the other rifles combined.

I knew I could get the truth on the campfire!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had several new M700s lately and all were reliable, accurate, and lighter than other stuff. I've become a fan.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Bought my first one in 1967 and it still shoots great.I recently bought a youth stainless ADL in 7-08 for my daughter and grand kids from Sportsmans Warehouse. $450 and it shoots 1 in groups with most factory loads.
Sportsmans is the only place in my area that has these in stainless and I think they are a bargin at this price. Unfortunatly they don't have them in 280 Rem or the WSM's

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FoxTrotter
Bought my first one in 1967 and it still shoots great.I recently bought a youth stainless ADL in 7-08 for my daughter and grand kids from Sportsmans Warehouse. $450 and it shoots 1 in groups with most factory loads.
Sportsmans is the only place in my area that has these in stainless and I think they are a bargin at this price. Unfortunatly they don't have them in 280 Rem or the WSM's

Do you know what trigger these Sportsmans Warehouse adl's have? How is the trigger on that 7mm-08?

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy it, I currently have three Rem 700's in 270, and have owned/traded many more. I have been shooting them since the early 80's and have never had a problem that was not user error.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by wyohunter99
Im not questioning the capability of the .270. Whats in question is the safety of these new Remingtons.

The problem was never the safety. It works just fine. The problem is that guns made from the 1940's until October 2006 used a trigger connector in between the trigger and sear. In rare cases the connector malfunctions and lets go of the sear without pulling the trigger. When this happenens the safety is the only thing holding back the firing pin. When the safety is moved to the fire position the gun fires.

This can and has happened to brand new, perfecly clean guns with no trigger modification. It can and has happened to any of these guns at any time. It may happen one time after 40 years, and never happen again. Or in the case of most guns it will never happen. Just because someone has a gun, or several that have not done it proves nothing. Most of us have ever been struck by lightening, but we all know it does happen. The odds of a Remington doing this, and you being struck by lightening are about equal.

Remington redesigned the safety in 1982 after losing numerous lawsuits to allow the gun to be unloaded with the gun still on safe. This did not address the problem, which was identified in 1946 by Remington employees. But it did significantly reduce the opportunities for it to happen. The connector was removed starting with 2007 model guns. Just as Remington engineers urged back in the 1940's when they predicted problems.

I own a gun made in 1974 that has shown it will do this. I'd still buy a Remington product, especially one made 2007 and newer if I liked the gun. I'd not have a problem buying the gun in question. I don't even need another rifle, but have seen those and have considered buying one because of the price. With a replacement stock you'd have a good gun for little cash.

Here is an explanation of what is happening.

http://www.rifflawfirm.com/areas/pdf/remington4.pdf

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I don't know if the trigger on my youth model is the new x pro as I don't have the box with the hang tags. It does not have the screw in the bottom of the trigger for adjustments.
I haven't adjusted it and it is a little heavy for my taste but fine for hunting and it beaks clean with no creep.
I'm amazed at how well it shoots for a gun with a 20 in barrel. My daughter who only shoots once a year just shot a 2 1/2 3 shot group at 300 yards with factory Barnes Vortex 120 TTSX. Two of the 3 were touching.
Buy it and put it in a mcmillan ks. I would but I don't need a 270 or 30-06

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
Originally Posted by wyohunter99

Most of us have ever been struck by lightening, but we all know it does happen. The odds of a Remington doing this, and you being struck by lightening are about equal.

Its funny you should say this because I have almost been struck by lightning many times!!! It likes me for some reason? So maby it not a good idea. LOL

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have been a long time Remington fan and frankly I am not happy with them of late. Their quality is spotty. I have had good an bad ones from similar vintages. Don't expect to get good lightweight trigger pulls with the new trigger, some will, some wont.
You could get. Good one but you might not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (44mc, 2UP, 470Evans, 375TN, 35, 21, 16 invisible), 1,567 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,956
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.