Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hazcat Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I'm looking for an economical buttstock for my 1908 1899. I See that Boyd's has finished buttstocks, but their foreends are unfinished - I'm afraid i might have a hard time matching finish. Gunstocks unlimited has both unfinished - that's what I'm looking at now
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pag...vage-99-recurve-butt-straaightl-grip.htm
Does anyone have experience with these companies? I'm looking at the straight grip with recurve, because I shoot the gun - I'll keep my eyes open for a perchbelly buttplate if I decide to retire it.

Why am I replacing? The buttstock on the old .30-30 has been through a lot in the last 104 years. The crescent buttplate is gone, and someone squared off the end and fitted a JC Higgins recoil pad - the perchbelly doesn't make a very graceful line anymore... The old tang crack repairs are nicely done walnut inlay and pretty cool, but the current thick coat of polyurethane takes away from the beauty of the old patina on the gun. I think I'll strip and oil it for display of the joinery, but its days as a buttstock for a working rifle are over. The foreend was also sanded and pollyed, and the sanding took the profile below the front edge of the receiver. Pity.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What about striping the Boyd's and staining to match?

I'm looking a 99 with late birch stocks and thinking it needs a new set, I'd rather refinish than try to inlet with my skills and limited tools.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I bought a stock from GUNSTOCKS INC and am very happy with it. The stocks come slightly over sized and need to be sanded to fit. I had a few questions for them during the process and found themto be very responsive and helpfull.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
On the other hand, I bought a Gunstocks inc., stock a few years ago and was sorely disappointed. To say slightly oversized is an understatement as half the tree was still attached. Also, the upper rear corners on the forearm were rounded off and not square. I ended up not using it. Maybe they have improved since then as I've heard other people express better luck. I recently bought a 99 stock from dakotacliff on ebay and was pleasently surprised.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I recently bought a stock set from DakotaCliff and had the same problem you talk about having with Gunstocks Inc. WAAAAAAAAAY oversized. I'm going to be taking almost 1/4" of wood off all the way around on the butt, and almost as much on the fore end. Disappointed. Sanding is one thing, touching up inletting ok, but hogging off 1/4" is not ok. They can do better than this, why aren't they?

LOL
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Actually, I prefer a lot of wood left on one. Armed with a Nicholson #49 cabinetmakers rasp, I can knock it off in a hurry and get the exact shape I want. Ditto inletting. Just get it fairly close and then have at it with chisels and bottoming tools. A tight fit without resorting to epoxy bedding is a good thing.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe it'll go better than I anticipate.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought two sets of wood from Gunstocks inc, and was pleased with both.I gave to my gunsmith to finish and fit them to a couple of 99's I had, I;m not much of a wood worker, and didn't want to mess them up.

READ THE BIBLE-IT WILL SCARE THE HELL OUT OF YOU!
NO 99"s ARE JUNK, FDP
NRA Endowment Life Member
US Air Force Retired,Phantom Phixer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i get Wilcox gun works of Cherryville BC. Canada to do mine .he leaves on what i want .1/16 over --1/8 over whatever

he also fits if i send him a reciever.he's doing 6 stocks for me now.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,387
Posts18,527,654
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.