-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never owned a tactical weapon and likely never will unless we decay so much as a society that I need one. (At which point they will not be available).

However, despite the MASSIVE increases in the sales of "black guns" their use in violent crime has remained very low -- less than 2%. 9mm, 10mm and .380 handguns areused in about 70% of violent crimes.

Why? Those big bulky angular rifles don't stick in your waistband easily. They don't conceal. They are not practical. But they are lot of fun to go out shoot. Multiple targets, action shooting. They a FUN.

And they are rarely ever used in a crime.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 12/16/12.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
BTW, I do not one a weapon. I own some firearms but refuse to call them weapons just because of the image that comes from the word.

I have started to talk about some of my friend's baseball weapons and assault golf weapons but all my guns are firearms.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mudhen
I didn't buy a black rifle when Clinton's AWB was about to be passed and I didn't buy a black rifle when Obama was elected the first time. However, I went over to my local gun shop yesterday and bought one of only four that he had left. This was not a protest against anything. I just figured that if I was ever going to get one, there is probably no time like the present. The shop owner said that he had been through multiple pages of sources on the internet yesterday and all of them were showing "zero availability".
I had the exact same experience on the day of the shooting. I'd had my eye on a Mini-14 "Tactical Model" for a few weeks, but was waiting till I was more flush with available cash to buy it (I was thinking February), but that plan changed on the day of the shooting. I went right out to find one that very evening.

The first two gun shops I went to, after checking their suppliers, said that there were literally no Mini-14 "Tactical Models" available from any of them, and both clerks said it was likely due to the shooting and them getting gobbled up immediately. I checked one other store, and they happened to have the exact model I was looking for on the shelf, just one left. I snatched it, along with four extra Ruger-made 30 round mags (it came with one 20 rounder).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
11 years of highly publicized war, and movies and video games that are in synch with combat operations doesnt help.....but the truth is that it sells. My son is 15 years old, at age 11 he could identify "Black Rifles" at Sportsmans Warehouse and honestly I had no clue what they were, you can thank Call of Duty video games for that and we didnt even buy him those games when he was that little but a lot of his friends parents would.We are a very war minded society and it has a lot of appeal to the younger generations.I have to admit that it is very concerning, I too have been to gun ranges both here in Texas and in Alaska and when you see these kids in the early 20's dressed like they are preparing for a special operation in Fallujah Iraq with a 1/2 dozen 'Black Rifles" and semi autos' strapped to their thighs blasting away at Human shaped targets it is more than disturbing cuz it seems its always one of these detached young idots that spends all day drooling over the God damm things while playiing call of duty Black ops in a dark room that causes these tragic incidents!

B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Boltman: Do you really believe that an all out ban on "assault" weapons would have changed the outcome of what that guy went to do their Friday? If that is the case... that is disappointing.

I didn't think I wrote anything close to saying I thought there should be a ban or a ban would accomplish anything. In fact, quite the reverse - I think bans and threats of bans are a big part of the problem - which is the resulting reaction. I will say I wish a lot of the weapons that have been sold in the last 4+ years had not been sold. What I mean here is that I wish the poeple that were motivated to buy from panic - didn't feel panicky and hence made purchases on the basis of panic. The ensuing culture that results from panic is not an optimal one.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
I want all bass boats to disappear. There should be laws.

I want to see all Boltmans disappear.
There's enough superhero figures out there fighting crime and saving humanity that every time I encounter another Boltman I can't help but think of the redundancy factor and just shake my head.

It has come to the point with all these loathsome lippy libiots crusading in their capes to cage countless others over their own statistically insignificant fears of every little thing on God's green earth that I think the time has come to outlaw any and all comic strip characters for the good of mankind.

That or just tell them to pack their chit and move to a country that better reflects their view of how much little freedom a mommy/daddy government should afford its subjects.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boltman: Do you really believe that an all out ban on "assault" weapons would have changed the outcome of what that guy went to do their Friday?

Hell YES!
It would have made ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD in CT!

obviously...

when he went in and shot up all those school kids there would NOT have been an "assault" rifle in the trunk of his car parked out in the lot.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by boltman
Boltman: Do you really believe that an all out ban on "assault" weapons would have changed the outcome of what that guy went to do their Friday? If that is the case... that is disappointing.

I didn't think I wrote anything close to saying I thought there should be a ban or a ban would accomplish anything. In fact, quite the reverse - I think bans and threats of bans are a big part of the problem - which is the resulting reaction. I will say I wish a lot of the weapons that have been sold in the last 4+ years had not been sold. What I mean here is that I wish the poeple that were motivated to buy from panic - didn't feel panicky and hence made purchases on the basis of panic. The ensuing culture that results from panic is not an optimal one.

Look at it like this, those folks were concerned enough to get prepared to be responsible for their own well being and not dependent on someone else to take care of them. What's wrong with or bad about that?

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I'd be happy to see the possibility of tyranny disappear. I'd be happy to see the southern border secured so that ranchers, hunters and residents aren't in fear for their lives and need to go armed. I'd be happy if race riots didn't happen in large cities and minority shop owners didn't need to defend their families and businesses.

But even if all of that happened, there'd still be prairie dogs that needed killing. grin
hauling ass coyotes just missed buy a youngster with a bolt gun, too. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Hell YES!

obviously...

when he went in and shot up all those school kids there would NOT have been an "assault" rifle in the trunk of his car parked out in the lot.

Huh?????

All the victims at the school were shot with a rifle, at least some of them up close, and all were apparently shot more than once, Chief Medical Examiner Dr. H. Wayne Carver said. There were as many as 11 shots on the bodies he examined.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Saw a kid at the local gun store pick up an AR, the look of sheer ectasy that came over his face would have been ok if he was fondling his first boob but I was somewhat disgusted. Maybe I felt something of the same when I picked up the Ithaca 37 Santa left me but I don't think so.

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mudhen,
an interesting article and one which at least seeks to shine a light on real problems. Gun owners also need to be more pro-active rather than just digging into their usual hard line defensive position. I think the NRA should consider helping to fund research programs and do so clearly and publicly.
As far as the assault rifle thing is concerned, I do think they almost reflect the reason for the 2nd Amendment. The Second Amendment isn't about guns, it's about liberty and the defence of liberty. The right to keep and bear arms is a defence against tyranny and oppression.
On the other hand, the misuse of any firearm is a threat to liberty so it is important for the pro-liberty, gun owning, population to make a serious effort to help stop this misuse.
There are times when this might mean supporting a Democratic initiative and, if the initiative makes sense, we need to support it.
I really think that, at some point, society has taken some wrong turns and we have to try and find our way back to the proper path.
Most of the perpetrators of crimes such as the one in Newtown are people who might be classified as "losers". If they could be identified earlier and steered right, they might be saved before they derail entirely. If we could do something to short curcuit the crime, we might not have to worry so much about losing our right to bear arms. GD

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Hell YES!

obviously...

Huh?????

All the victims at the school were shot with a rifle, at least some of them up close, and all were apparently shot more than once, Chief Medical Examiner Dr. H. Wayne Carver said. There were as many as 11 shots on the bodies he examined.

Facts are such pesky things.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This school massacre was not committed by a person using a gun. More children died than at Sandy Hook School. Note the date.

Insanity and evil have no bounds, nor time limits.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103186662

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The unrestricted avaiability of semi-automaitcs capable of accepting 20 and 30rd. magazines is the enabling factor in shooters in Aurora, CO, the Oregon mall and now the Conn. elementary school to do their horiffic deeds. Irresponsible individuals like the Conn. shooter's Mom did not secure her weapons where her menetally disturbed son could not access them.
I may not have thought much of Bill Clinton as man or as our President, but he was spot on when he said "I never saw an AK-47 in a duck blind". Weapons as I have described, call them "assault weapons" or whatever you want simply do not belong in the hands of other than the police and military. It is long past the time when this should be recognized and dealt with. GCA '68 was a knee jerk reaction to the assasination of RFK, it has done nothing that I can see to deny any 2A rights that I am aware of. How would those of you who cling so fervently to your assault weapons and your perceived right to own them feel if one of your loved ones were a victim of the shooters in Aurora, the Oregon Mall or the Connecticut elementary school?????????

Last edited by gunswizard; 12/16/12.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
here it comes,..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm starting to fart Rainbows here...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Holy Shyte.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I own a couple of black rifles. I own a few lever guns. I own some revolvers and some auto loading handguns. I own some shotguns and rimfires.

I have no plans to shoot anybody with any of them.

In that regard, I think I'm typical of all but an extremely tiny minority of gunowners.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
-tactical this zombie that -double tapping everything blah blah blah

I am a bit tired of this schit. Did your mommy cut the fingers off of your gloves for you? I do love the "how do I get the mag outta this thing" look. Not to mention the huge flinch when dropping the hammer on a empty chamber. Have seen a few Rambowannabes at our range. Good news is when the dumbphucks run outta money, you can buy their stuff for cheap.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 19 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,669
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.