Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Okanagan
1. Your well intended thinking is what the communist leaders called "useful idiots". It is precisely why the Second Ammendment is in danger, precisely why Hitler was able to incrementally eliminate pesky constitutional laws and incrementally move a "civilized" nation into secret police and death camps. You think that you are only giving up a few rifles that don't interest you and that nobody really "needs". You are giving up the Second Ammendment and the whole ball game.

2. They are not assault rifles. They have a handle shaped like assault rifles. Changing the handle on a semi-auto rifle no more makes it an assault rifle than camo painting a VW bug makes it an Abrams tank. You know that, but using the anti-gun choice of words gives up the discussion before it starts.

And this is why I am proud to call you a friend.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd just be happy to see crybaby liberals who are lost in the delusions of "Disneyland like society" just disappear...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd be happy to see the possibility of tyranny disappear. I'd be happy to see the southern border secured so that ranchers, hunters and residents aren't in fear for their lives and need to go armed. I'd be happy if race riots didn't happen in large cities and minority shop owners didn't need to defend their families and businesses.

But even if all of that happened, there'd still be prairie dogs that needed killing. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The weapon of choice ( due only to availability) in Third World countries is the machete.

The ethnic cleansing violence that has swept through many African countries in the past bunch of years was carried out with machetes. Many thousands of "innocent" people have died this way Do you want to see machetes disappear?
It's not the tool it's the brain and the evil that can consume it that are the problem.
I've heard quite a few "gun" folks claim they would be OK with getting rid of assault weapons because they are only for killing people. This, while standing at the trap field holding a shotgun. In their minds it's the gun's fault and they are stupidly thinking that the liberal gun haters will be satisfied with the assault weapons and leave their "good" guns alone.
What dreck! Your post is so full of misguided notions that I really don't hold much hope that mine will even register in your warped perception.

Get your head out of your posterior and understand that we all (gun owners) need to stand up and fight this with much more vocal and personal support (especially money).

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

If a drunk driver caused the death of 20 children on a school bus, would it be reasonable to ban cars? Or maybe just the kind of car he happened to be driving that day? Cause if there were no more cars we wouldn't have to worry about any more deaths due to drunk driving. Does taking a person's drivers licensee away from them stop them from getting behind the wheel and driving drunk? Has gun legislation ever stopped the bad guys from getting guns?

People that commit these crimes are psychopaths. They don't need an "assault" rifles to carry out these deeds. You cannot legislate intent. We've seen similar crimes committed in other countries without any guns involved.

Boltman: Do you really believe that an all out ban on "assault" weapons would have changed the outcome of what that guy went to do their Friday? If that is the case... that is disappointing.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
boltman, none of that makes any damn sense at all. Might as well just wish for a 'my little pony' world, where all is perfect, and folks just love each other, and always do the right thing.

That isn't going to happen either.

You might well wind up needing a nomex suit.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by boltman
...from non-military, non-law enforcement hands anyway. Now, I'm not saying banned. I wouldn't support a ban, confiscation, etc. I'm just saying if they (magically) disappeared, I think we would be better off.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
IMO, your root cause is a mental defect looking for weakest to bully with inherit media hype.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Every time I get fed up with you and put you on ignore I let a few months go by and peak only to find you are making good sensible posts.

Mr Bricktop, sometimes you confuse the heck out of me. confused

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave588
IMO, your root cause is a mental defect looking for weakest to bully with inherit media hype.
Look up the definition of "inherit," [bleep], and decide if that's the word you want to use in your half-assed attempt at insulting me. Ignorant f*ck-ass.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't buy a black rifle when Clinton's AWB was about to be passed and I didn't buy a black rifle when Obama was elected the first time. However, I went over to my local gun shop yesterday and bought one of only four that he had left. This was not a protest against anything. I just figured that if I was ever going to get one, there is probably no time like the present. The shop owner said that he had been through multiple pages of sources on the internet yesterday and all of them were showing "zero availability".

Quite frankly, I blame the entertainment industry. A few years ago, someone surveyed prime time television shows and found that a viewer could conceivably watch literally hundreds of people being "killed" on television each week. Despite Hollywood's supposed horrific aversion to firearms (or perhaps because of it), it has been a long damned time since I watched any kind of drama that didn't include the criminal and or LE use of firearms in the plot line. My wife watches the No. 1 show on television religiously (NCIS). Despite only looking casually, it seems to me that on just about every episode involves a homicide and a justified shooting. Movies are just as bad.

Video games are even worse. They give the player(s) an enormous number of opportunities to obliterate opponents (some good, some bad, some just opponents) in the name of fun. I would love to know how many people the average gamer blows away in a typical week. I'll bet that it ranges from the hundreds to the thousands, depending on the games.

My point is that kids these days grow up with this subliminal belief that the ultimate solution to unhappiness or frustration is to pick up a gun or several guns and go kill someone (or a lot of somebodies). They see it every week on television or in the movies or in their gaming. People die, often horribly, and there are no real world repercussions.

I honestly don't know what to do about it.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
Every time I get fed up with you and put you on ignore I let a few months go by and peak only to find you are making good sensible posts.

Mr Bricktop, sometimes you confuse the heck out of me. confused
"Gun control" is not a popular issue among the majority of Americans, gun owners and NON-gun owners. The right wants to use it as a wedge issue and have done so effectively. The element on the left who want to advance that agenda are morons.

Labeling and banning "assault weapons" and "automatic handguns" is only a means to treat the symptoms of a more complex problem.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Who needs these military-style assault weapons? Who needs an ammunition feeding device capable of holding 100 rounds?" Feinstein wrote on her campaign website.

I'm not going to come down to hard on what you wrote, Mister. Like you , I find the "Double Tap / Tacticool" culture boring, and certainly not my particular area of firearms enthusiasm.

That said, I'd have to say that you and the demented beotch that wrote the quote above are pretty clueless as to just WHERE some of your fellow Americans live, and WHY they want to have this class of arm handy.

Wait,....you're as far as I can see, still American,...as far as the hosebag goes,....well,.......

Thanks for your views, regardless, and have a wonderful Christmas .

Greg

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/16/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by boltman
...from non-military, non-law enforcement hands anyway. Now, I'm not saying banned. I wouldn't support a ban, confiscation, etc. I'm just saying if they (magically) disappeared, I think we would be better off. I've been around guns over half a century and they have been my main hobby all these years. Let me add, I've had many debates with liberals over the years about, "assault" weapons, logically pointing out the folly of seeing these weapons as more deadly/dangerous because they are painted black, have a plastic stock, etc.

I've shown many my Remington M08 .35 semi-auto circa 1906 and pointed out the main difference between this rifle and the typical "assault" type rifle is that it is not painted black, the .35 is a much more powerful and deadly cartridge than the .223 and my rifle is less likely to jam. True it holds less than most .223's but again, a rifle that jams is not to be coveted.

Again, I don't want to see them banned as of course, it is just one step closer to all of our guns going away. However, I don't like the culture that steadily builds around these weapons. I don't like seeing young people drawn to these weapons vs. hunting weapons. When I was a young boy and teenager in school, my friends and classmates had three topics: cars, guns and the fairer sex. We brought gun catalogs in school and passed them around. If the teacher caught us with one, he would confiscate it but only so he could read it and then would give it back.

The only black rifle that was around back then was the AR-15. I recall the sporting goods store I frequented would often have one on hand (probably the same one - they weren't a good seller). I would pick it up and shoulder it and it was a conversation topic with my friends. The bottom line was even though it had some appeal to all of us, none of us wanted one bad enough to save up for it.

For the past many years I have heard my gun show friends sputter a lot about these rifles. A common comment: "all the young guys seem to be after is those damn black rifles." I was at a bookstore yesterday and it seems the majority of the gun magazines focus on new, "assault" style weapons. This also includes the shotguns such as the Kel-tec bullpup that hold about 14 rounds and now a Sig that holds 16 shells (four tubes that rotate) and can be emptied in less than seven seconds. These are not designed for sporting purposes such as hunting, shooting clay pigeons, target practice.... These weapons have one main purpose - to kill others. And, I don't minimize the need to be prepared to defend oneself. If forced to defend myself, I would use a gun but an "assault" weapon wouldn't be my first choice.

I've existed side by side with "assault type" weapons. For most of that time my attitude had been more neutral. Basically, I don't ask that you like the guns I like; don't ask me to be excited about the guns you like. Again, to summarize, my main issue is the culture that is escalating around them. I would call it a culture of fear that I don't see as healthy. I am feeling more troubled when I see young teenage boys drooling over assault weapons.

So, I don't want to see anyone's black rifles and shotguns taken away, but if they just magically vanished I don't think we as a society would be worse off. I'm showing my age of course, but I would just like to go back to the time when no one had much interest in them.

Let me just close the last zipper on my flame suit....

You are officially partially brainwashed by the libtards; please heal yourself.

You are drinking the liberal kool-aid.

Just stop and really think about it. Think: could these shootings have been done with a 30-30 or revolver? (Yes)

You will then be healed.

The term: "assault rifle" and "automatic" in place of "semi-automatic" need to disappear, along with a lack of reasoning.

To fix things lets ask, "Why is this done?" and "Are they not afraid or bothered of the consequences or results?"

The culture needs a repair.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can understand the urge to ban high-capacity assault-style weapons... I also know the anti's will never stop there, so despite my own personal opinion, I will never support such a ban. A line has to be drawn somewhere. This is where I draw mine.

OTOH, I can't see why firearms training shouldn't be mandatory for the owning of a firearm... that would go a long way to curing our problems.

Everyone loves to cite Switzerland and Israel, but I guarandamntee you their firearms training is substantial.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to agree with you. I hate "assault weapons". I much more prefer to call them "Defense Rifles"!!!

As to the rest of your post, let me remind you that the ORIGINAL "Assault Weapon" was the single shot, muzzle loading, Brown Bess smoothbore musket, privatley owned and used by the civilian militia.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A good bit of our issue today is probably related to the term "assault" weapon. There are many of the black arms that I would not call assault weapons, but they do convey the image. Likely a cool factor for a lot of wanna be's.

Put a beautifully crafted Holland and Holland double 500 Nitro and one of the AR look alikes with a 30 rd clip on a table and ask which instills the most fear in a non shooting participant. Any guesses.

Truth is wonderful, but perception is what moves the masses.

1Minute
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 99guy

If a drunk driver caused the death of 20 children on a school bus, would it be reasonable to ban cars? Or maybe just the kind of car he happened to be driving that day? Cause if there were no more cars we wouldn't have to worry about any more deaths due to drunk driving. Does taking a person's drivers licensee away from them stop them from getting behind the wheel and driving drunk? Has gun legislation ever stopped the bad guys from getting guns?

People that commit these crimes are psychopaths. They don't need an "assault" rifles to carry out these deeds. You cannot legislate intent. We've seen similar crimes committed in other countries without any guns involved.

Boltman: Do you really believe that an all out ban on "assault" weapons would have changed the outcome of what that guy went to do their Friday? If that is the case... that is disappointing.

Very well stated. And further, a ban of any kind will not prevent the irrational behavior of the criminally minded or mentally challenged. It's only service will be to provide "false security" to those who know schitt about firearms.
It was not the firearm that killed those kids the other day. This was very well planned and consciously thought out by this kid. He could have done the same damage with any .45ACP and a few clips.

The easy fix for .Gov is a ban. It's much harder and would cost much more than they are willing to spend to fix the real problem...if that would even be possible.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Now you did it, off ignore. Let's see how long we can make this one last.

I believe labeling some firearms "assault weapons" and "automatic handguns" was done just to get them banned. I have been in conversations with anti gun people who would have filled their pants if they knew I was carrying when they drop the assault weapon bomb. I then stop and tell them I need an exact definition of the term they are either left speechless or define something that sounds like a SAW. They know that assault weapons are bad but they don't know what they are.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bricktop
I would be HAPPIER to see detailed root case analysis/cause mapping of this incident (and other recent mass shootings) performed before any "simple solutions" are selected. No emotion, no opinion. Let's find out what led to what and assign action items.

May take a while and a few government grants. From yesterday's Houston Chronicle:

The science of rampage violence is, alas, in its infancy
Friday, December 14, 2012

Columbine. Virginia Tech. Gabrielle Giffords. The Batman shooting. And now this. What is going on?

After these terrible tragedies people are quick to look for something beyond the shooter to blame: Guns, video games, poor mental health treatment. Some or all of these may be to blame. But rational policy must be based on evidence. And evidence comes from research.

What motivated the Batman shooter?

So what does the evidence tell us about these kinds of terrible tragedies and the people who commit them?

Science can tell us a little about the psychology of these mass shootings, but we�re far from understanding who is doing these things, and how we can better identify them in advance.

Let�s start with the U.S. murder rate. It�s fallen in half during the last two decades, according to F.B.I. data.

Even as this decline has occurred, there seems to be a rise in what researchers have come to call �rampage violence.� Alas as scientists have only begun studying this phenomenon in recent years, our understanding of it is relatively weak.

An article published in June in the American Journal of Public Health (see abstract), for example, argues that present research approaches to understanding rampage violence are not effective, and that �There are numerous important, unanswered research questions that can inform policies designed to prevent rampage violence.�

Harvard�s Shorenstein Center has posted a nice compendium of recent research in this area. Here�s a summary of what we do (and don�t) know:

PREVALENCE INCREASING: �Our current understanding of the phenomenon indicates these incidents are not peculiar to only western cultures, and appear to be increasing. Methods most prominently used include firearms by males who have experienced challenging setbacks in important social, familial and vocational domains. It is recommended behavioral sciences and mental health researchers increase research efforts on understanding mass killings, as the current socioeconomic climate may increase vulnerability to this phenomenon, and the incidents are not well understood despite their notoriety.� (Journal of Police and Criminal Activity, Oct. 2010).

PSEUDOCOMMANDO MASS MURDER: �The pseudocommando is a type of mass murderer who kills in public during the daytime, plans his offense well in advance, and comes prepared with a powerful arsenal of weapons. He has no escape planned and expects to be killed during the incident. Research suggests that the pseudocommando is driven by strong feelings of anger and resentment, flowing from beliefs about being persecuted or grossly mistreated. He views himself as carrying out a highly personal agenda of payback. It is argued that revenge fantasies become the last refuge for the pseudocommando�s mortally wounded self-esteem and ultimately enable him to commit mass murder-suicide.� (Journal of American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, March 2010)

NOT VIDEO GAMES: �The quest to understanding school shootings has led to several wrong turns, most notably the quixotic desire by politicians, advocates, and some scholars to link both school shootings and less extreme youth violence to playing violent video games, despite considerable and increasing evidence to the contrary.� (Journal of Police Crisis Negotiations, 2011.) (Apparently I am wrong about this.)

SCRIPT NOW ESTABLISHED: �Not only do these massacres follow an almost stereotypical course, but the perpetrators tend to share common social and psychological disabilities. They are isolates, often bullied in childhood, who have rarely established themselves in effective work roles as adults. They have personalities marked by suspiciousness, obsessional traits, and grandiosity. They often harbor persecutory beliefs, which may occasionally verge on the delusional. The autogenic massacre is essentially murder suicide, in which the perpetrators intend first to kill as many people as they can and then kill themselves. The script for this particular form of suicide has established itself in western society and is continuing to spread, and to diversify. (Behavioral Sciences and the Law, 2004)

What to make of all this? It�s time for the research community to step up its game on rampage violence.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.