Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi guys. Want to start shooting up all my factory loads so I can start cooking up some handloads for the glock 20. Question is, can you safely reload the brass from the factory glock barrel and will it last? Should I buy an aftermarket barrel before shooting up the rest of this stuff? I see they make a specific sizing die to take care of the glock "bulge", but I dont want to limit my loads to only a few runs because of working the brass so much. Maybe this really isnt as bad as some internet folks make it out to be. What say you?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
in my opinion your better off buying and using a good 6" aftermarket barrel with its better supported chamber
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=175327&CAT=240

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 340mag
in my opinion your better off buying and using a good 6" aftermarket barrel with its better supported chamber

Storm Lake makes better barrels. Also, look at a G20 as the big brother to a G17/19. You shouldn't be putting a ton of rounds through it. As John Burns quoted Brian Enos as saying after firing a couple of rounds through one of Ross Seyfreid's hand cannons, "Looks like a great way to [bleep] up 20+ yrs worth of trigger control".

Having said that, if you want "bear loads" out of a G20, you load new brass one time, and throw it away. Milder loads? YMMV.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Shooting even heavy handloads through my Glock 20 w/a Bar-Sto 6" barrel hasn't induced a flinch in my trigger control. To be fair, I've put at least 30K factory rounds through my old duty pistol...a Glock 20.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Shooting even heavy handloads through my Glock 20 w/a Bar-Sto 6" barrel hasn't induced a flinch in my trigger control. To be fair, I've put at least 30K factory rounds through my old duty pistol...a Glock 20.

Not tryin' to be a dick, but evaluate your support hand Bill Drill times with said Glock 20 and get back with us.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure where you are going with those comments, but I've had zero issue shooting many rounds through both of my 20's. Thats not exactly what I call punishing recoil.

Back to my original post, so you guys do recommend an aftermarket barrel?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You would be well served getting an aftermarket barrel with better case head support prior to shooting up the rest of your factory loads. That is the safest and most prudent advise on the issue, I believe.

That said, I've shot a few thousand handloads out of my Glock 20 long before I ever heard about case head support issues. Many of those multiple times from the same brass no doubt. I still don't have any cases I've seen that exhibit a bulge of any kind. I load for accuracy but also find many of the more accurate loads come from max or near max loadings. So my loads have not been mild loads for the most part. I have a notion that most if not all of those who have blown up their 20's from handloads are doing so with overloads dangerously beyond top book loads. I'm sure I'll hear from many on that one, but what else would my experiences of thousands of handloads without so much as a bulged case indicate?

When I bought my aftermarket barrel, a Storm lake because it was the cheapest, not the best, I also bought 1K of new Starline brass. I was not willing to take a chance losing fingers or my eyes, or ruining my pistol. So even though my experiences indicated there was not an issue, the experience of others compelled me to invest for safety.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
You would be well served getting an aftermarket barrel with better case head support prior to shooting up the rest of your factory loads. That is the safest and most prudent advise on the issue, I believe.

That said, I've shot a few thousand handloads out of my Glock 20 long before I ever heard about case head support issues. Many of those multiple times from the same brass no doubt. I still don't have any cases I've seen that exhibit a bulge of any kind. I load for accuracy but also find many of the more accurate loads come from max or near max loadings. So my loads have not been mild loads for the most part. I have a notion that most if not all of those who have blown up their 20's from handloads are doing so with overloads dangerously beyond top book loads. I'm sure I'll hear from many on that one, but what else would my experiences of thousands of handloads without so much as a bulged case indicate?

When I bought my aftermarket barrel, a Storm lake because it was the cheapest, not the best, I also bought 1K of new Starline brass. I was not willing to take a chance losing fingers or my eyes, or ruining my pistol. So even though my experiences indicated there was not an issue, the experience of others compelled me to invest for safety.
Thank you for your reply. Funny thing is out of all the close to 1000 rounds I've ran through my various 20's, I've never saved the brass because of whta I've read. Lately I've been shooting some and saving it and have found the case to bulge some but not to an extreme amount. Figure at worse I would be working the brass a little more than it needs and would lessen case life. Is the storm lake barrel accurate? Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Have you had luck with the lone wolf? I've heard some people really like them. Thanks

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
one note if your brass is buldged dont fix it trash it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Have you had luck with the lone wolf? I've heard some people really like them. Thanks

Ive got a JARVIS 6" 10mm barrel in my GLOCK 20
http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Home/tabid/35/Default.aspx
and its worked fine for several years, but I POSTED THE OTHER BRAND SIMPLY BECAUSE THE PLACE I PURCHASED THE jarvis barrel from IS NO LONGER IN BUSINESS

my barrels were highly polished, heres a link to one I see listed but it looks like its well used,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=309947290

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Is the storm lake barrel accurate?

Adequately accurate but not to the degree I would like. It will be replaced one of these day.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Besides the case head support issue, real, imagined, or perceived, it's really not a great idea to shoot lead bullets in a Glock OEM barrel.

I've used some LW conversion barrels & they are at least as accurate as the factory OEM stuff, IMO & that's suitable for my needs.

I really don't know of any issues with any Glocks with any calibers other than 40...........& I have 2 of my own in 40 w/o any issues, ever or at all.

MM

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Besides the case head support issue, real, imagined, or perceived, it's really not a great idea to shoot lead bullets in a Glock OEM barrel.

MM

This has not been my experience with Glock 9mm's. Having said that, I would not shoot ANY reloads through a factory barreled Glock 40 cal.

I would always clean the lead from my Glock barrel with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. A friend "cleans" his by shooting a box of FMJ's through it, and that has worked for him for nearly 60,000 cast bullets through the same G17.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RickyD
Is the storm lake barrel accurate?

Adequately accurate but not to the degree I would like. It will be replaced one of these day.

Weld up the back of the hood and refit it. A Glock however, is only gonna be so accurate. An M&P has far more potential for accuraccy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

This has not been my experience with Glock 9mm's. Having said that, I would not shoot ANY reloads through a factory barreled Glock 40 cal.

I would always clean the lead from my Glock barrel with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. A friend "cleans" his by shooting a box of FMJ's through it, and that has worked for him for nearly 60,000 cast bullets through the same G17.

I can believe your experience as I am sure that you know what you are doing, & if cleaned at any decent interval, there may not be a problem.

Any decent lead remover & a copper brush will suffice........do it all the time on .45 barrels.

Problem is, lots of guys don't get it & let the lead build up to a problem level.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys for the help. I just ordered a new barrel.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have used Lone Wolf barrels for some time now in my G21 SF, works great. Just ordered a Lone Wolf in 10 mm and 40 for my Glock 20. I shot 100 rounds in each barrel and they shot great, and accuracy was great. I will be reloading for both my 45, 10 mm and 40 S&W for my glocks. Lone Wolf makes so good barrels.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Life member of the NRA
Endowment Member of the NRA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redhawk1
I have used Lone Wolf barrels for some time now in my G21 SF, works great. Just ordered a Lone Wolf in 10 mm and 40 for my Glock 20. I shot 100 rounds in each barrel and they shot great, and accuracy was great. I will be reloading for both my 45, 10 mm and 40 S&W for my glocks. Lone Wolf makes so good barrels.
Great to hear. Makes me feel a little better about my purchase. Thanks

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've used KKM in a couple and they have been 100% reliable so far and very accurate. From what I've heard LW puts out a good barrel as well...I just don't have experience with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (7mm_Loco, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, Anaconda, 14 invisible), 1,412 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,491
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.