Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART
I am betting there are lefty's sitting around a table some place plotting which one gets to tackle you while the other grabs your rifles.

grin. Those are some mighty fine rifles there buddy. I could learn to use a left handed rifle if I needed to grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Didn't even know those were ever made.

Very cool!

And K is pretty damn knowledgable of most left rifles. K, I'd love to run across a lefty like that 338. Ummmmmm...The OP should look into something like an Echols Legend stock. Wouldn't that be the cats azz!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have had two of these Mauser 3000 based rifles over time. The actions were very well done. Both of my guns had custom stocks on them and shot well. The only problem I had with mine were extractor issues. These are push feed guns and the extractors can get debris under the mechanism and cause problems. A good cleaning would fix the issue.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Roscoe, the Mauser 3000 is not the same animal as the Carl Gustav, although they're almost as scarce.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I talked with Sid Justice about duping the stock. He took the time to answer all my questions. He quoted me a real fair price for the dupe. We just need to firm up the cost of the blank. He will even supply a extra dupe of plain straight grained walnut for $100 extra. I've talked with a couple of guys who though he did real good jobs for them. Besides, He's almost local.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by 270Mag
Roscoe, the Mauser 3000 is not the same animal as the Carl Gustav, although they're almost as scarce.

It was my understanding that they were both based on the same action. Is the Gustav a push feed design with a sako style extractor?
Regardless they appear to be nice rifles. The 3000 was very well made IMO.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Roscoe
Originally Posted by 270Mag

Is the Gustav a push feed design with a sako style extractor?
Regardless they appear to be nice rifles. The 3000 was very well made IMO.

Yes

- Henry Ford
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The features are very similar (like the L-61 Sako of the same period), but they are not the same action.

I've always been a fan of the Mauser 3000, and currently have two, both left-handed; a .270 and an unfinished barreled action in .340 Wby. As Roscoe said, they are very well made actions.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
FWIW Mauser 3000 were a different action altogether that was made by Heym and were a very slick bolt action, just like the Carl Gustav.

That is a nice stock on your CG 338.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Kinda weird that the floorplate engraving is not exactly the same.

[Linked Image]

- Henry Ford
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well,the stock is off for duping. I'll need a pad for it when it gets back. What would you recommend? I'd like something that will soak up recoil well. Also, would you change out the red classic rad on the 338? I assume that gun could really use a better pad. The one on it is hard. Not real sure about changing the "classic" look of the red pad. But, taming recoil might just win over looks.

- Henry Ford
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was sent an e-mail by a fella in Sweden with some interesting facts I didn't know about these actions.

The smoothest bolt action ever is a Husquarna/Carl Gustaf 1900 Sporter Match 222rem with reduced boltlift (60 deg). Even a matchtuned Krag feels like a mismatched Mosin Nagant compared to the CG1900. The CG 1900 is specially made for the old Olympic shooting event "Running deer double shot". This event requires two shots at a running deer target at 100m in less than 4.6 seconds. ( the deer target runs 25yds in 4.6 seconds. The X-ring is 6"). The CG1900 has ruled the game from 1970 till today and have beaten all comers like custom pumpactions, all bolt actions and all straight pull rifles like Blaser R93. In this event you need the smoothest and fastest repeating action with an acceptable trigger and fast locktime. After 37 years the CG1900 is still smoothest shooting action and it has the official results to prove it.

- Henry Ford
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That is quite a find. No idea how many were imported but I have only seen photos of two or three others and none the high grade. Could be a custom stock not sure.

As far as the recoil pad I would make them as much of a matched set as possible. I would put a red or black Pachmeyer on both, a solid old English even though a basket weave would be more retro.

I would spring for Conetrol mounts and maybe even put Redfield scopes on them or an older Leupy 4x.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are very nice, if one came available here hopefully I would be able to buy one. Those are beauties.

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Whilst the stock is out for dupe, I thought I'd look at optic options.

[Linked Image]

I was able to find a set of Buehler bases for the 06. According to ex-employee of Bueuhler's (Bob Ray), at some point FFV changed the position of the front base screws and Buehler changed the front mount by milling off around .20 from the rear of the front base. The Buelher bases at were on the 338 when I bought it did not have this mod. The new Buehler bases do have. So, I will mill this off the base that I have and have the base hot blued so they will both match. Operationally, It may or may not be a big deal, but I want them to match. You can see the overhang here:

[Linked Image]

The 338 came with low (Buehler #6) rings. The height is going to be fine for the scope I want to try. So it's off to Ebay for another set. That is unless someone here has a set they would part with. With this scope there is NO front to rear adjustment at all. So without the stock here, it's hard to tell if this this is going to work.

- Henry Ford
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, now the real work begins.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

- Henry Ford
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

209 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 2500HD, 34 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,614
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.