Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a large amount of hanguns, but one thing I do not have is a full frame, large cap gun and with a possible impending ban on >10 mags, I need to get one

I have had a few Glocks and still have a G30 and G27 but both are sub compacts

I have a good friend who has an M&P and I really love the feel

Neway, what do you think? Should I stay with Glock or go to a M&P and should I go .40 or 9mm????

I will probably use this a primary home defense gun

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
M&P 9. It's ergonomically superior to the Glock. 9mm with modern loads is more than effective enough, less recoil, and higher capacity, not to mention cheaper.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
TRH.....I was already leaning towards the M&P and towards 9mm

I think I will pick one up today

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
.40 M&P.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Boococky
...Neway, what do you think? Should I stay with Glock or go to a M&P and should I go .40 or 9mm????...

....it seems like alot of people (even died-in-wool Glock fans) like the "feel" of the M&P and with an Apex trigger, they're pretty great guns----in 9mm however, the M&P's have had a few issues----we have a local LEO that took his new M&P 9 to the range and after failing to qualify with it found that the barrel had no rifling!! I've got a 9 that I had Bowie Tactical work on---wonderful trigger, very reliable but shot a "spreader pattern" group at 15 yards---I talked to Take a Knee and he recommended having the barrel re-crowned. Sure enough the gunsmith looked at it and said that it definitely needed to be recrowned as it was cut at an angle. I had it recrowned and it still won't shoot into minute-of-Buick. The M&P .45 shoots great (also a Bowie Tactical), but with 9, I'd either go with the Pro model or stick with Glock--JMO-YMMV.

Last edited by gmoats; 12/17/12.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Mine's more than accurate enough. Lemons can happen with anything.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gmoats
...Neway, what do you think? Should I stay with Glock or go to a M&P and should I go .40 or 9mm????...

....it seems like alot of people (even died-in-wool Glock fans) like the "feel" of the M&P and with an Apex trigger, they're pretty great guns----in 9mm however, the M&P's have had a few issues----we have a local LEO that took his new M&P 9 to the range and after failing to qualify with it found that the barrel had no rifling!! I've got a 9 that I had Bowie Tactical work on---wonderful trigger, very reliable but shot a "spreader pattern" group at 15 yards---I talked to Take a Knee and he recommended having the barrel re-crowned. Sure enough the gunsmith looked at it and said that it definitely needed to be recrowned as it was cut at an angle. I had it recrowned and it still won't shoot into minute-of-Buick. The M&P .45 shoots great (also a Bowie Tactical), but with 9, I'd either go with the Pro model or stick with Glock--JMO-YMMV.

My M&PL in 9mm is only a sample of one but, after being recrowned with a Manson Tool, it quite accurate. S&W has been known to have shoddy QC on occasion but, unlike many out there, will speedily provide a remedy. A recrowned M&PL factory barrel won the production division at the Bianchi Cup a couple of years ago.

My guess is all of the firearms manufacturers are so busy cranking out so many guns these days that tooling doesn't get changed out as often as it should. US made rifle barrels, appear to be a pig-in-a poke as well. The exception, IME, appears to be Remington 5Rs (and ONLY the 5Rs) and, according to JB, current production Ruger 77's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I say glock 9mm, still to this day there is not a lighter gun that carries as much rounds as the glock in the same class of pistol, everything out there is heavier that I know of, M&P XD's all of em. The glock has a better trigger and more accessories. with 9mm you get more rounds in the mag and cheaper ammo. everyone wants to say the glock isn't this or that, the grip angle sucks, its too fat whatever. lay a dozen pistols on the table and if I had not shot a pistol in 2 years the glock would be the one I would be shooting the best the fastest. they aren't the prettiest, most high tech, newest thing out there. but if you want a gun that just shoots and shoots well my choice is a glock.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I say glock 9mm, still to this day there is not a lighter gun that carries as much rounds as the glock in the same class of pistol, everything out there is heavier that I know of, M&P XD's all of em. The glock has a better trigger and more accessories. with 9mm you get more rounds in the mag and cheaper ammo. everyone wants to say the glock isn't this or that, the grip angle sucks, its too fat whatever. lay a dozen pistols on the table and if I had not shot a pistol in 2 years the glock would be the one I would be shooting the best the fastest. they aren't the prettiest, most high tech, newest thing out there. but if you want a gun that just shoots and shoots well my choice is a glock.

Well stated. Also why the M&P will remain a range gun only for me is they screwed the pooch when they made only a full-size and a subcompact, not replicating the absolutely perfect size of the Glock 19.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My choice is a M&P .40

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
In 9mm I'd go with the Glock 17, in 40S&W I'd go with the Simth& Wesson M&P.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
My choice is a M&P .40

+1........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
In 9mm I'd go with the Glock 17, in 40S&W I'd go with the Simth& Wesson M&P.

I picked up a 17 yesterday afternoon...I love it

-Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Glock 17, nuf said!

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Life member of the NRA
Endowment Member of the NRA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Glock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right now I own the M&P9, just over 100 rounds fired with good accuracy (for me) and zero malfunctions. I too looked at and handled Glocks; the M&P just felt better in my hand. Now, if I had lots of money, I'd buy a Sig. IMO, they are the best out there. Just me.......

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M&P series for me. I find them completely reliable, easy to shoot well and very accurate. For me I think the M&P is the best of the plastic pistol genre. I've fired over 6K rounds through a Glock G22 and packed it everyday, but it wasn't infallible and suffered a broken extractor fairly early in its time with me. I packed a Sig P226 for a time and while it was a nice enough gun the double action/single action transition never came naturally to me. I shot a Springfield XD enough to know it wasn't the right fit for me personally. Next came the M&P series and I have found a nearly perfect fit for my needs. After 2,500 trouble free rounds the M&P and I are settling in nicely.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My M&PL is my only S&W semi. A friend put 36K through his before the extractor broke, no other parts changes or failures. MY 5in will NOT run dry like a Glock will. I'll have failures to go into battery if I don't keep it wet.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I'll have failures to go into battery if I don't keep it wet.

Thats what she said

Sorry, I couldnt resist

-Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I picked up a 17 yesterday afternoon...I love it

Good for you. You won't regret that decision.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 792 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.