Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Our winter storm warning has been cancelled, it has been upgraded to a "blizzard warning".

http://wx.hamweather.com/local/us/ne/lincoln/warnings.html#adv0

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN OMAHA/VALLEY HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO NOON CST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL SPREAD INTO THE AREA BY MID TO LATEAFTERNOON...POSSIBLY BEGINNING AS OR MIXED WITH LIGHT RAIN. THE SNOW SHOULD BECOME HEAVY THIS EVENING BEFORE DECREASING AFTER MIDNIGHT.

* WINDS/VISIBILITY...WINDS WILL BECOME NORTHEAST AT 15 TO 30 MPH BY LATE AFTERNOON AND THEN NORTH AT 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 45 TO 50 MPH BY MID TO LATE EVENING. THESE STRONG WINDS WILL THEN PERSIST INTO THURSDAY MORNING. ALTHOUGH VISIBILITIES COULD DROP AS THE SNOW BEGINS...THEY WILL DROP TO NEAR ZERO AS THE SNOW BECOMES HEAVIER AND WINDS INCREASE THIS EVENING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...7 TO 11 INCHES ARE LIKELY.

* IMPACTS...THE VERY STRONG WINDS AND HEAVY SNOW WILL CREATE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AND POTENTIALLY CLOSE ROADS. WHITE-OUT CONDITIONS ARE LIKELY...ESPECIALLY IN OPEN AREAS. TRAVEL COULD BECOME IMPOSSIBLE.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
and you get free obamacare, woooohoooo!

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by watch4bear
and you get free obamacare, woooohoooo!

I do? Really? laugh

I does look like we will get to play in the snow. grin

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you going to build democrat snowmen?

MOLON LABE

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Nah, I'll be too busy digging out my 1/4 mile long driveway in the morning.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love to see liberals actually work.

MOLON LABE

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Even with a tractor using a blade and bucket it is going to take a few hours if the snow drifts are bad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Too bad it's not covered under obamacare.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
NeBassman...

Same story out here in the southwestern part of our state. Our snow started in earnest about 9AM MT today. We already have 6-8" and it is snowing heavily. The last time I checked the wind was steady at 33 mph gusting into the low 40 mph range. Can't see much outside. Visibilty is down to about 100 yards right now. This storm will be hard on our pheasants and other wildlife due to the fact that we so little cover with the drought and CRP grazing and mowing this summer.

The moisture is badly needed and we are thankful for it. I was planning to head to the goose pit in the morning. I am sure that I wouldn't get there if I tried, so will stay home and play on my little tractor moving the snow off the driveway and other areas that need the snow moved. When we get storms like this I really wish I had a snow blower for the tractor instead of just a rear blade and loader bucket.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great. I wonder how long its going to stay that way. I'm headed to that neck of the woods on the 29th. Will be towing a car hauler to Cheyenne/Wellington area.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by badger
Great. I wonder how long its going to stay that way. I'm headed to that neck of the woods on the 29th. Will be towing a car hauler to Cheyenne/Wellington area.

http://www.wyoroad.info/highway/webcameras/I25CheyennePOE/I25CheyennePOE.html

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Our forecast is calling for highs in mid to upper 30's for this weekend so that should help get the highways in good shape. Hard to tell what will be happening weather-wise by 10 days from today.

I hope one of local National Weather reporting stations made an error. Look at the wind gust reported recently:

Wind

Speed / Dir

30 mph from North

Wind Gust

172 mph !!!!!!

Wow, I knew the wind was bad...but I'm sure its not that bad!

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N

The extended forecast for Dec. 29th here in the Lincoln area is:

SATURDAY Dec 29

Flurries Possible

Hi:14�F

Lo:-8�F

Highs this weekend are not supposed to break the freezing mark, the snow should still be here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Total crap shoot. Blizzards (generally) move through quickly and the Interstates get opened quickly but you never know more than a few days in advance when to expect one. Usually followed by sub-zero Arctic air so keep that in mind when you prepare. Sunny, winds down, good driving but damned cold.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 66 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,390
Posts18,527,744
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.