Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

NRA chief urges armed guards in 'every single school,' dismisses calls for gun control

Published December 21, 2012

FoxNews.com

National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre on Friday dismissed calls for increased gun control in response to the Connecticut school shooting, calling instead for Congress to approve a plan putting armed officers in "every single school" in America.

In an impassioned speech, marking the NRA's first in-depth public comments since the Newtown tragedy, LaPierre pointed the finger not at gun proliferation but at violent video games, the media and the absence of armed guards at schools.

He argued that if banks and members of Congress can have protection, schools across America should be afforded the same security.

"It's now time for us to assume responsibly for our schools," he said. "The only way to stop a monster from killing our kids is to be permanently involved and invested in a plan of absolute protection."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ses-calls-for-gun-control/#ixzz2FhpxHzrP

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The President has Armed Guards.
The Congress has Armed Guards.
Banks have Armed Guards.
Airports have Armed Guards.

It is imperative that each and every American be Armed and at the ready to protect the innocent. Those that do not carry should reconsider their position. You might one day be able to save another's life if not your own. If you have guns at your home and they are unloaded, then you are defenseless against an intruder. Remain at the ready at all times. Do not let your guard down. This is a Dangerous World we are living in.
This is MaryLou

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He was spot on. Only mistake I could hear was that he said "26 innocent children" then his next statement mentioned 26 innocent lives..........

He made me proud. Now we need to convince some of those 76,000,000 non-members to join. Whether or not you agree with ALL of the stands the association has taken, they ARE our oNLY voice.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The speech was a good one and I am glad that he didn't concede any points on gun control. However I really wish that he wouldn't have blamed, movies, video games, hurricanes, media etc... for this stuff.

That is just crazy talk. Those things didn't make this happen any more than the gun did. The kid was a psycho and he had a mental break, end of story. You don't make any friends when you blame things like that.

Give your sympathy, rebut claims of others, state your position, make your case, and thank everyone for coming.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why is the media focusing only on the armed guard piece and not the call for more a responsible media in dealing with tragedies?

Oh wait, never mind.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
http://home.nra.org/pdf/Transcript_PDF.pdf

Even better, the transcript.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are a gun owner and aren't a member of the NRA , then you are a dumb ass. NRA, where you like them are not are the only thing standing between you losing your rights to own guns or losing this right for ever. Join now if you aren't a member or in the future telling your kids about the time in this country when people had weapon and could protect their families and weren't dependent subjects to the Government and Jack Boots Police Squads

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regarding the week-long wait for the NRA response, I think it was wise. The NRA wasn't and shouldn't be the knee-jerks that it's opposition is.

As far as the blaming of video games, etc., he is spot on. We are living in a degraded culture that has made those who degrade it some of the wealthiest people in the world. And they're wealthy enough to protect their own children from their filth, where the average citizen isn't.

The overarching message is that we need to stop blaming the instrument mass murderers use, and start blaming the instruments that put murderous motivations into the murderers' hearts, and the refusal of society to address this.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKbushrat
The President has Armed Guards.
The Congress has Armed Guards.
Banks have Armed Guards.
Airports have Armed Guards.

It is imperative that each and every American be Armed and at the ready to protect the innocent. Those that do not carry should reconsider their position. You might one day be able to save another's life if not your own. If you have guns at your home and they are unloaded, then you are defenseless against an intruder. Remain at the ready at all times. Do not let your guard down. This is a Dangerous World we are living in.
This is MaryLou

for once you and I agree.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

As far as the blaming of video games, etc., he is spot on. We are living in a degraded culture that has made those who degrade it some of the wealthiest people in the world. And they're wealthy enough to protect their own children from their filth, where the average citizen isn't.

I agree completely.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

The overarching message is that we need to stop blaming the instrument mass murderers use, and start blaming the instruments that put murderous motivations into the murderers' hearts, and the refusal of society to address this.

Steve.

That is exactly what he should have said and left it at that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I actually happen to agree with blaming the violent games and movies for dissolving the border between acceptable and not in the minds of young people. Computer games are just like an addictive drug, and same as drugs, it is a billion dollar industry. This industry would much rather have every single gun banned as long as they can keep selling bloodthirsty games to teenagers.
Just my own opinion, and I elaborated more here http://pauldaisy.com/news/horrific-crime-legislate-it-out/ if anyone is interested in an alternate view of where such incidents come from.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Popular song on the radio recently...

A teacher's nightmare.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Finally a real solution to the problem. Now if those so called leaders in government will only drop the politics and act. Probably won't though as disarming the people is their goal and not school safety

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
I actually happen to agree with blaming the violent games and movies for dissolving the border between acceptable and not in the minds of young people. Computer games are just like an addictive drug, and same as drugs, it is a billion dollar industry. This industry would much rather have every single gun banned as long as they can keep selling bloodthirsty games to teenagers.

Absolutely true, IMHO. Thanks for posting the link to your blog, it was well-written and very sensible.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Movie video games don't cause an influx in violence? Give us your theory

O
O
The story of the last forty years in America is the mainstreaming of "rock-star morality," and the wreckage of traditional marriage. In the US over 40% of children are illegitimate. Entire new categories of crime have arisen in the wake of familial collapse, like the legions of daughters abused by their mom's latest live-in boyfriend. What will happen to all the children raised in these dysfunctional and fragmented families if the economy really collapses? Hollywood portrays the sane as the insane, the abnormal and perverted as normal. Is it any wonder America is in trouble?

Our economy was destroyed by white collar criminals of immoral character. They are but are a symptom of America's spiritual illness most commonly referred to in previous centuries as "sin". The connection most fail to see is that where there is no God there is chaos.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just renewed for two more years. Figured they need the money now.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
If I owned a gun store I'd give discounts and priority to NRA members now and offer every customer the chance to join.

People spending all this money to buy guns and ammo and not spending $35 to join?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Special going, only $25 for one year, $50 for two.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (257Bob, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,591
Posts18,511,185
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.