Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We shouldn't need secret service for the president either. Or to guard bank deposits. But we do.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Let alone the fact you gotta be close and I sure as [bleep] ain't taking a Taser to a gunfight!

Tasers fail more often than they work. Both probes have to make contact and are often deflected by clothing, etc., or they flat out miss, and you've got one chance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sackett

You're living in a [bleep] fantasy world! You ever been around an actual Taser, apparently not?!.. [/quote]

Enlighten me then. How is that worse than putting multiple guards in every freakin' school across this country. the school in Newtown is K-4, we shouldn't need armed guards or kids with bullet-proof backpacks at a school that goes to the 4th grade.

bob[/quote]

It's worse because
IF you manage to get to within about 20' without getting shot and
IF you manage to hit the bad guy with both probes and
IF the probes penetrate and
IF the probes are sufficiently placed to incapacitate and
IF the probes don't pull out when the bad guy falls and
IF the bad guy doesn't fight through it
THEN it will work.

Not great odds of even getting passed #1, much less the rest working out.

And what we should have to worry about doesn't matter, this discussion is about what we do have to worry about.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately, in this case the Principle was close enough, as she confronted the shooter outside. He then shot out the window to get into the school.

Another option is to have electronically operated locks on the doors so when they are shut you cannot get in. Yes, you can shoot through the door, but most schools here in CT that I've been in have brick walls. Maybe it would give enough time for the police to show up. In Newtown it took 30 seconds.

And back to my original point, I still believe the NRA could have done more. Offering to sit and discuss ideas with Congress would have been a smart move and one the media wouldn't have been expecting. After all they (the media) is fanning the fire for changes.

bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by sackett

You're living in a [bleep] fantasy world! You ever been around an actual Taser, apparently not?!..

Enlighten me then. How is that worse than putting multiple guards in every freakin' school across this country. the school in Newtown is K-4, we shouldn't need armed guards or kids with bullet-proof backpacks at a school that goes to the 4th grade.

bob[/quote]

It's worse because
IF you manage to get to within about 20' without getting shot and
IF you manage to hit the bad guy with both probes and
IF the probes penetrate and
IF the probes are sufficiently placed to incapacitate and
IF the probes don't pull out when the bad guy falls and
IF the bad guy doesn't fight through it
THEN it will work.

Not great odds of even getting passed #1, much less the rest working out.

And what we should have to worry about doesn't matter, this discussion is about what we do have to worry about. [/quote]

I agree, that the beginning has just begun, and it's going to get real ugly in CT. We have anti-gun Senators & Representatives (both at State and local levels) an idiot Governor who just abolished the death penalty and was on TV shedding a fake tear just like Obummer. I fear for Connecticut's gun owner's future.

bob

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You don't do away with cars because of drunk drivers. You punish drunks. But you still have people killed because of drunk driving. Do I need to mention cell phones. It's about the peasants being armed. It's about freedom. On another note all secondary and high schools in Houston have armed police on site. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I fear for Connecticut's gun owner's future.
============

The Supreme Court has already ruled. Familiarize yourself with the doctrine called Stare Decisis.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by RISJR
You give idiots hope.

So you are feeling hopeful right now?

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
A 7 word sentence with no typos...Wow!

Good work,man. That has to be a first.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re: video games.... IIRC there was a school shooting that targeted a group of Christian kids who gathered around a flag pole for morning Prayer..... Think it happened in Ohio..... Maybe 15 or more years ago..... The killer made an amazing number of killing head shoots in just a few seconds. He had been heavy into a video game that simulated such shooting.....

Re: possible soultions..... Offer teachers with the interest shooting instruction on the level I would guess sky marshals get..... Something way beyond a basic concealed carry training. Those that pass rigors high stress training are then payed extra for a covert "sheep dog" role.

Link about the above school shooting.... Parents lost case against film and video makers.... Still I remember the shock at how accurate and deadly this 14 year old was..... Just saying....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_High_School_shooting

Last edited by 2ndwind; 12/21/12.

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Re: video games.... IIRC there was a school shooting that targeted a group of Christian kids who gathered around a flag pole for morning Prayer..... Think it happened in Ohio..... Maybe 15 or more years ago..... The killer made an amazing number of killing head shoots in just a few seconds. He had been heavy into a video game that simulated such shooting.....

Re: possible soultions..... Offer teachers with the interest shooting instruction on the level I would guess sky marshals get..... Something way beyond a basic concealed carry training. Those that pass rigors high stress training are then payed extra for a covert "sheep dog" role.

for the record ther is lil in common with shooting in game and shooting in the real world.....being good at one doesnt make you good at the other....kinda like saying playing Guitar Hero well means you can play a real guitar crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
There are 175,000 public schools in the country. This is a state matter. Feds need to keep their noses out of it.

States can't afford to do something like this it will take federal monies to make it possible and why not every bit of the money the feds have came from the states.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Earmark the kid's safety screen. Finally, a earmark no one would bitch about.

William Arthur Ward

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
There are 175,000 public schools in the country. This is a state matter. Feds need to keep their noses out of it.

States can't afford to do something like this it will take federal monies to make it possible and why not every bit of the money the feds have came from the states.

I repeat, cut off aid to other countries and protect my country first, I swear, I am sick of my taxes going to all the leeches around the world...screw 'em, let them take care of their own asses. If they screw with us, turn their country to glass.

Take that money and put it into our schools <banging head on wall>

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RISJR
I fear for Connecticut's gun owner's future.
============

The Supreme Court has already ruled. Familiarize yourself with the doctrine called Stare Decisis.

Not sure if the doctrine would help in the below proposals:

Prohibit the sale and possession of any rifle, shotgun or pistol with a capacity of more than 10 rounds.

Expand the definition of an assault weapon.

Require all firearms to be registered with a model and serial number.

Institute a 50 percent sales tax on ammunition.

Require a permit to buy ammunition.

Stop the online purchase of ammunition.

only in CT....

bob

Last edited by sackett; 12/21/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by 12344mag

I repeat, cut off aid to other countries and protect my country first, I swear, I am sick of my taxes going to all the leeches around the world...screw 'em, let them take care of their own asses. If they screw with us, turn their country to glass.

Take that money and put it into our schools <banging head on wall>

I agree completely, that would be federal money.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the States are smart, they will take the ball and run with it. [bleep] the feds and their ideas. Lord knows we don't neet some TSA type of crap. You figure most police don't work an 8-5 job. They could pull an off day, just like they do for football game security, and get a little OT. I did a little math in my area and 1 officer at each school a day ended up being about $5 a year per household.

Also heard on the radio where they were suggesting that officers should do their paperwork in school parking lots when they have the chance.

I'd bet stopping by for lunch wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
......and if the schools want extra fees, I'll pay.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
pass a school protection tax and people would line up for it. this is one tax that i would agree with. and it wouldn't cost much. using my town as an example, 9 schools, figure 12 cops to cover it at $40k a cop plus another $25k/yr for bennies and supplies. $780k a year to fund it. divided by 9000 households works out to less than $100/yr per household. part of that would come from federal funding i'm sure.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
A lot of Counties around here already have cops at school n you dont notice the additional cost In property taxes, the 1's in our county work for the county sheriff office n not pd but think other schools use pd instead. Not a new concept here in tx. For sure want to keep it at county n state level n not have feds involved

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 30 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,270
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.