Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MarkG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So after years of holding out, I decided to give the Slick Tricks a try.. My biggest issue was never being able to find (or tune) a fixed blade to shoot right. I'm just a hunter, not an Archer purist.

So I got them in the mail last night and had maybe 15 mins of daylight left. I put one together, unscrewed my 2 Blade Rage from one of the arrows in my quiver. Then screwed on the Slick trick.

I shot the same arrow about 7-8 times into my block at 25 yards. Dead Nut center every time. I am impressed with this little broad head. I am shooting the 1" Standard 100gr slick trick.
I had used the 3 blade Muzzy heads in the past but they never shot well for me, and my groups really opened up at 30 yards with the Muzzy. The slick trick head seems TINY compared to what I was used to in a fixed head, but I have no doubt it will preform well.

I have a feeling these heads will shoot fine out to my personal limit just over 40 yards. I will find out tomorrow.

I had a couple extra and got so excited I called a buddy over and gave him my last two to try for himself.. lol

Can't wait to get one in a deer.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Mark,

Heading out with mine to try them tomorrow as well. Been using Rages with success, but like the way the Trick fly. I'm used the same heads, with the same grouping results. I don't dare shoot more than one arrow at the same point, unless I want to re-fletch an arrow.

Good Luck!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
We didn't convince you just steered you in the right direction! Slick Tricks do the convincing.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used them the last three years, well used one that last three years.

Same broadhead, replaced the blades this year. Have been very happy and see no reason to change.

Life is just one damned thing after another
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Haven't tried 'em here yet men, can/do they cut a better, bigger hole than the 125 gr G-5 Striker Magnums?

If so they must be a helluva head.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Haven't tried 'em here yet men, can/do they cut a better, bigger hole than the 125 gr G-5 Striker Magnums?

Gunner

Hey, I knew I'd find you somewhere....Come on, let's go to the rifle forums and talk some magnum stuff over there grin cool...The indians got smart and got rid of their bows and arrows (hint hint)....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had shot Muzzy MX4 heads for a number of years with great success. They flew like darts. I killed dozens of deer with them.
I tried Slick Tricks this year, the 1 1/8" magnums. They also fly like darts.
Have killed a couple deer with the ST with very good results.
Frankly I don't see much difference between them and Muzzy, except the ST has a steel ferrule. The aluminum ferrule on the Muzzy does bend on some bore hits or bassthroughs.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I read about the ST head over 4 years ago and tried a set. Now just about any one I hunt with in the area is using them. They just plain shoot to point of aim and they make a nasty hole that puts a deer in a bad place when you hit them.
Enjoy your deer steaks.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

i've been using the 100gr for a few years. they do a good job of putting 'em down.

unfortunately, didn't draw the bow out there this year. only had a 1 1/2 year 3 point come within range.

-ken

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not a bowhunter at this point(time) but set my boys up with bows this year and purchased Slick Tricks for them after reading about them here. They shot just like the field points and my 10 year old took his first deer this year with a textbook shot. I'm a believer...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Two does down yesterday, both with Slick Trick 100 gr standards. The bigger doe was hit quartering away at 20~ish yards, missed ribs on the entry and exit, but punched through the shoulder blade on the far side and completely exited. Arrow crossed through the blood supply above the heart where the lungs join, she went down in sight at 60 yards.

The yearling was 40 yards, and a solid liver shot, but I couldn't see that until I recovered the deer. Thought I had missed, but found a large blood spray on the ground, then the arrow covered in bright red. The deer went about 60 yards, and fell down dead, no kicking. Liver blood supply was gone, and most of the bleeding was internal. The external trail was very light and all skin bleeding, no indication of the liver shot.

Big doe went to the local Hunter's for the Hungry program, little doe is processed and going to relatives.

I am a fan, but think I'd up the blade width for animals bigger than an East Coast whitetail...

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They work great. As far as bigger critters I've killed a moose and a black bear with mine. I shoot the 85gr standard. Flies like a dart.

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Slick Trick 100 (Not me, I was just the pack mule)
[Linked Image]

Slick Trick 100
[Linked Image]

Slick Trick 125
[Linked Image]

They work. "Terminal Ballistics" appear to be about the same as most other broadheads. They fly much better than most broadheads in a bow that isn't perfectly tuned IMO.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Gunner
if you use the grizz trick they will , i promise , lol .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I killed three bears in the last two years with the same arrows and slick trick broad head. All three passed through all hit under 20 yards. They were 507, 465, 275 lbs, only touched up the original blades after the first one, replaced them after the second bear.

I'm shooting them at 62lbs and they have zipped thru all but elk and bison consistently.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Gunner

Hey, I knew I'd find you somewhere....Come on, let's go to the rifle forums and talk some magnum stuff over there grin cool...The indians got smart and got rid of their bows and arrows (hint hint)....
The Indians went to rifles because they could afford cheap Chinese milsurp guns. They can't afford the high priced archery gear we have today.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I use the standard 85 grain ST's out here and haven't lost a deer yet.
Love the sucking sound they make when passing through the lungs.
Don't know why but I want to try the Grizztricks, these work so well for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slicks are just that... a slick broadhead.

I'll stick to my Wac'Ems but you guys keep airing out critters with the ST's

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I've used STs for 5 years or so, really like'm... the only wac'em I've seen personal, complete pass-throughed this bull I called in for a hunter in '08... at 60yds... it went 42 yards from where it was hit.

Kent

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1Akshooter, 1936M71, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,807
Posts18,496,383
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.