Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Plus a bunch.

Hey- I might turn my '06 into a 9.3x62 (is that right?) this winter! You've been running one of those, right BSA?

Yeah, and I'm loving it my friend...I've been thinking about turning something else into one too grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If an '06 ain't an elk rifle extraordinaire, then no such rifle exists.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The 30-'06, 7x42 Swaro's and a pair of Kenetreks

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
30-06 will be mare than adequate. Lots of bulls have been droped with the 06

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Laguna

It doesn't exist then. Extraordinaire .. no. Probably-adequate-aire ... sure. There's nothin' extraordinary 'bout something that for which there are so many things that are better, even if it's the yardstick by which they're measured.

Last edited by T_O_M; 12/14/12.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Plus a bunch.

Hey- I might turn my '06 into a 9.3x62 (is that right?) this winter! You've been running one of those, right BSA?

Yeah, and I'm loving it my friend...I've been thinking about turning something else into one too grin

In my years of swapping rifles, I traded two overly heavy 30-06's. One was a Sako, the other a Shilen DGA sporter. Either would have been a good candidate for re-boring to 9.3x62. That would have lightened the barrels and the resulting guns wouldn't have been too heavy for that round.

So, if you guys have an '06 safe queen that fits that description, give it a thought.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Plus a bunch.

In my years of swapping rifles, I traded two overly heavy 30-06's. One was a Sako, the other a Shilen DGA sporter. Either would have been a good candidate for re-boring to 9.3x62. That would have lightened the barrels and the resulting guns wouldn't have been too heavy for that round.

So, if you guys have an '06 safe queen that fits that description, give it a thought.

DF

Or 270....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
try some 180 grain Nosler Partitions or Accubonds out of your new CDL SF 30-06.. if you buy a new gun I'd go with a 300 WSM or 300 RUM..

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Would have to re-barrel to do that.

Ingwe may stumble across your post and suffer an emotional set back.

Just saying.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm
You've got a 30-06. The rifle is way down your priority list.

This. I'm struck by this at the end of every public land elk hunt I make. There is so much hard work and luck involved, as long as your rifle and load meet minimum requirements to kill an elk at the range you are likely to see them they are almost an afterthought. A great hunter in a great area with a .260/140 Core-Lokt will out perform a lesser hunter in a lesser area with a .340 Wby/225 TTSX landloads.

Expat

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 12/15/12.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
I'm struck by this at the end of every public land elk hunt I make. There is so much hard work and luck involved, ...
Expat

My sentiments exactly. So much of an elk hunt is so hard or in some way challenging. Painful feet, wet feet, tired legs, sore back or shoulders, burning sinuses from the dry air, dehydration, cold mornings, rainy afternoons followed by snow the next day, uncomfortable and thus poor sleep, navigating in dark unfamiliar territory, are all issues that I now concern myself with vice the cartridge selection. Although, the choice of a light rifle helps with some of that.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by prm

This. I'm struck by this at the end of every public land elk hunt I make. There is so much hard work and luck involved, as long as your rifle and load meet minimal requirements to kill an elk at the range you are likely to see them they are almost an afterthought. A great hunter in a great area with a .260/140 Core-Lokt will out perform a lesser hunter in a lesser area with a .340 Wby/225 TTSX landloads.

Expat

A great hunter/marksman is a lot more likely to bring home elk than one not so experienced. I do agree with you that cartridge choice would be an afterthought in most cases...I also grew up using the 06 and know of its virtues...I just choose to use different rifles chambered for different cartridges to break up the monotony

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Laguna

It doesn't exist then. Extraordinaire .. no. Probably-adequate-aire ... sure. There's nothin' extraordinary 'bout something that for which there are so many things that are better, even if it's the yardstick by which they're measured.

How do you get better than dead elk?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm

This. I'm struck by this at the end of every public land elk hunt I make. There is so much hard work and luck involved, as long as your rifle and load meet minimal requirements to kill an elk at the range you are likely to see them they are almost an afterthought. A great hunter in a great area with a .260/140 Core-Lokt will out perform a lesser hunter in a lesser area with a .340 Wby/225 TTSX landloads.

Expat

A great hunter/marksman is a lot more likely to bring home elk than one not so experienced. I do agree with you that cartridge choice would be an afterthought in most cases...I also grew up using the 06 and know of its virtues...I just choose to use different rifles chambered for different cartridges to break up the monotony

Heck yeah! Different guns, calibers, and cartridges are fun, but that is more about rifle-loonyism than elk hunting.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't read all the posts and im sure it was said but your 30-06 should be more than enough gun with a TTSX or Partition. Unless you're like me and use any excuse you can to justify a new rifle smile Heck , next time i head to CO ill probably leave the 338 fed at home and bring the 25-06. Big magnums are simply not necessary to kill most game. Stick with what you can shoot well, thats far more important than a more powerful rifle you shoot half as good as your trusty '06

Last edited by dubya; 12/16/12.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Use your 06 unless you are looking for aa reason to buy a new rifle. If so, I'd go with a 338 WM.

NRA Benefactor member
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The few elk I have spoken with sead they would like it put if had to be dune. I guess there not real up on calibers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dubya
Big magnums are simply not necessary to kill most game. Stick with what you can shoot well, thats far more important than a more powerful rifle you shoot half as good as your trusty '06

I agree 100% !!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gravestone
Originally Posted by dubya
Big magnums are simply not necessary to kill most game. Stick with what you can shoot well, thats far more important than a more powerful rifle you shoot half as good as your trusty '06

I agree 100% !!!

Me, too. My .30-06's have yet to let me down.

Nevertheless, I'm not getting rid of my 7mm RM, .300WM or .338WM.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Took my first elk hunt last fall. A 49 yr old flatlander. We camped at just under 9,000 ft and hunted up to 12,000 ft or so said the Garmin. It sure felt like it! Take the lightest rifle you have in the class of the 270 or the old Otter6 and put the money into optics and GOOD boots. Break them in too. I went with a couple different models of Danners and they were fine. No blisters. Don't overlook GOOD socks.. They should be layered like other clothing. A dry pair at lunch time sure feels great too. Shoot a quality bullet. No magnum will make up for butt shooting a critter that size so practice field shooting out to at least 400yds. I'm not saying you will have to take a 400yd shot,but practicing at that distance will help point out your flaws. Making it easier to correct them. I borrowed my b-in-laws "Trigger Stick" one day and soon bought my own. A bit of a pain toting it around,but man that thing is really steady. We both have the bi-pod tall version. I think it's worth the time to take it along.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,144
Posts18,484,119
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.