Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Love stories of when life was so much simpler. No mass shootings, terrorist attacks, or inner cities that have become war zones. Merry christmas.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve, very nice, what ever happened to your grandfathers old 30 Remington? Do you still have it?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wonderful stories and posted in the correct order.

If I had read The Fawn first I'd still be trying to clear my vision to continue reading.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you also.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thank you very much for sharing with us.

Wouldnt you love to have been a fly on the wall for this? Hey Oliver Stone, make a movie on this one, woiuld you>? You can include the split perspective from the side of the Germans as well.

"so he and his buddy Lloyd stole a pair of Lewis machineguns from the British Flying Service.

The next time Hank and Lloyd went onto the killing field, they got fired on. The firefight was only a temporary inconvenience, one that the two country boys stopped rather quickly. Literally, the dreaded Huns were Berlin city-boys and they were no match for the two hillbillies who knew what guns were about.

The two of them marked their wagon with a big black X, so that the Germans would know it was Hank and Lloyd. After a few skirmishes they were left totally alone. Strange about that."

Again, thank you for sharing.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Steve,
being one of the young men who does not want to admit that he is becoming one of the old men, I will not say it. Besides, they would kick a guy like that off the Campfire for saying something like that about someone he never even met.
But just so you know, I am having my son read all 3.
Great job getting the words just right.
Have a merry Christmas.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Truly awesome sir. Thank you for sharing. All three stories are priceless, but I like grandpa's the best. I lost a great grandpa I never met to gas in WWI. Your stories make me remember why its still worth checking out the topmost forum.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hank died in almost the exact scenario that my Grandpa did, and taught me just about as many lessons about life.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for these, Steve.

Retired cat herder.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks,you were lucky to be in each others lives.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by M1Garand
Steve, very nice, what ever happened to your grandfathers old 30 Remington? Do you still have it?

The rifle ended up being owned by a young man back in Hamilton, Montana. That is fine with me. And YES, it is still making meat.

My family heirloom rifle is a Winchester High Wall M-1885 with an octogon No. 4 barrel in 45-90. My paternal great-grandfather, who was a market hunter, walked from Rock Springs, Wyoming to Ogden and bought the rifle face-to-face from John Moses Browning.

The top flat of the barrel is marked "Browning Bros. Ogden, UT" The UT means Utah TERRITORY. How cool.

God Bless and Merry Christmas,

Steve

PS. Thanks, my friends, I'm totally humbled that you're enjoying my Personal Priting.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tbear
Love stories of when life was so much simpler. No mass shootings, terrorist attacks, or inner cities that have become war zones. Merry christmas.

Yea, and As I told my 86 y/o parents now in a nursing home, you've lived through some of the toughest times in this country--the '36 drought, the Great Depression, WWII--but I believe you've also seen the best in the post-WWII 50's and the 60's.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Friend George,

Your comment reminds me of an old couple that we see every Sunday. Karen and I are Eucharistic Ministers to the Homebound and it is our total privilege to bring our parish's love and the Eucharist to this elderly couple.

They are both 88 years of age and in rapidly failing health.

Both are from Western Montana. They were high school sweethearts, but WWII interrupted the relationship. He went off to war (he was heavily decorated) and she waited in Missoula.

When he came back, he married someone else. Eventually, so did she.

Fast forward a bunch of years when they were unknowingly in the same Adult Foster Home ... and didn't know it. Their sons and daughters reintroduced them. The fell in love all over again and were married six years ago.

Now they are in an Adult Foster Home just a few blocks from our home. They are very much in love and hold hands almost constantly. When Karen and I see their love and devotion to each other, it makes our hearts sing.

And to do our little Catholic liturgy and place the Lamb, the Blessed Sacrament, upon their tongues ..... absolutely priceless.

I'm a writer and I simply have no words.

May God Bountifully Bless ALL of You,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Merry Christmas Steve!
Thanks!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks Steve.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Superbly written....perfectly timed. Thank you.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You don't need me to tell you what a great piece of writing you did, but I will anyways..Wonderful stories,, all of them

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really enjoyed all of those.

Very good read, thanks for sharing them.

Happy Holidays!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,851 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,613
Posts18,473,931
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.