-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I own a Savage Model 10 .308 that I have shot about 200 times. A couple of weeks ago I shot a deer and did not extract the fired case. Yesterday I went hunting and noticed the round was a little tight when chambering. After hunting the bolt took excessive force to open. I have been shooting handloads with no problems until now. When I try to drop a dummy round in the chamber it will not go in all the way. What could be the issue here?

Thanks for your help.

GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Are you 100% sure there is no obstruction in the chamber? Also, I have seen bolt actions before that had always worked properly, then the slightest debris was in the chamber or on the cartridge, bolt was forced down, and the chamber was permenantly damaged. If that is the case, you may need to have the chamber polished or recut.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the barrel nut is tight, then it is going to be a result of either rust or other fouling caused by leaving the fired case in the chamber, a fouled ejector, or you have an out of whack hand load. Get yourself a good light and examine the chamber, check the bolt nose ejector to make sure it moves freely, and insert a factory new case into the chamber and see how the bolt closes on that. If the chamber is fouled you will need to clean it. A shotgun bore brush on a cleaning rod would be a good start towards cleaning up the chamber. If the ejector is fouled, you will need to clean it, if the bolt closes hard on a factory case then you are not telling the complete story. grin

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the replies. I did try a factory round and the bolt was tight so I didn't force it. The bolt will close on an empty case.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, but is it closing on a case that was fired in that rifle, or, a factory new case? Because if the bolt closes that tight on a factory round and fine on a new, empty case, and you don't have the means to pull and reset the barrel, then it's time to invoke the old saying about finding someone to look at it, because something doesn't jive, unless of course the barrel is loose.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B2

The obvious starting place (in my mind) is to check for fouling or debris, as MALM suggested. If that checks out, verify that the barrel nut is tight. Finally, measure the OAL and neck length of your hand loads against the seating depth of the action. Because if your reloaded brass has not been trimmed, you may have several cartridges that have lengthened due to firing, and would need to trimmed. Factory ammo is not going to be the same length as your hand loaded rounds, so I wouldn't confuse the issue by introducing factory rounds into the equation.

I'd be interested in what you find out, if you're willing to share the results with the forum.

God made men, Samuel Colt made them equal!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,917
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.