Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I've never owned a Subaru, but I've read good things about their reputation and durability. What are the main differences between an Outback and a Forester?

Does one have heavier-duty components, or are they basically the same?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Forester is a bit higher and boxier, if I was going for one it would be the Forester. I think they are a bit less expensive also.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't know the current situation, but in 2002 the Outback was built on a larger frame, while the Forester was on the smaller (Imprezza?) frame. The Outback was just a taller version of their standard wagon, maybe a few heavier components. It was never considered a true off the road vehicle.

That may have all changed.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Forester is what my wife now drives

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Components I know nothing about, but ride comfort and drivability of Outback is superior to Forester. Forester has more cargo space, and more boxy. My family has owned both. I prefer the Outback. I live in the NW 6 miles from the pavement and never had chains on one yet. Of course like anything they have their limits, I have had my Dodge 2500 stuck in the driveway with the Outback parked right behind it. Have used a dozer at times to clear driveway. I can say nothing bad about either.

Last edited by Elkmen; 12/23/12.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That was my take on the two when I was shopping in 2002. I bought the Outback. As I recall, the cargo area was similar.
The Forester looks like it has "grown up" over the years, more like a FS SUV, but I haven't been in the market.

My Outback was a semi-lemon, but I did wreck it so that it needed major repairs. Even before that it had little problems. I might consider another, but I won't buy a new vehicle that doesn't have factory service nearby. The nearest Subaru dealer is 50 miles from here. Subaru is quite selective about dealerships, doesn't have them everywhere.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're going an older model, get the Forester (before it was an SUV). If you're getting a new model go for the outback.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Outback is way roomier than the Forester, and offers more horizontal storage in back vs vertical storage for the Forester. The auto Outback has a continuously variable transmission (CVT) with paddle shifting, which might be available in the Forester next year. Mileage for the Outback is better also, likely because of the tranny (as in transmission, not trans-gendered lesbian who identifies as a man).
The Forester is due for a refresh, and I consider it a somewhat dated model.
I prefer the Outback, although I am not too impressed with the sheet metal, which is thin. This translates into the better mileage, perhaps.
Can't go wrong with either. This new style Outback has the kinks worked out, and the Forester is rock solid also.
Both are very able to tow a small trailer. My old Forester hauled deer hunting gear and dead deer for years, while towing a Bear Track alu trailer.

Have an A1 Day!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My wife has a 12 forester, she loves it, no problems with it.

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sit in both.

In 2008 I tried each. In the Outback, I could not get enough room to move my foot from gas to brake without hitting the steering wheel with my knee. The Forester had plenty of room to work the pedals.

Bruce

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CherokeeMike
What are the main differences between an Outback and a Forester?

Around here the Outbacks have a 2012 Obama/Biden sticker and an angry fur trader behind the wheel. Most of the Foresters just have an old faded anti Bush sticker.

But being Vermont that may just be a geographical thing!

Last edited by Dogballs; 12/23/12.

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

There are no gayer commercials on TV or radio than that for Subaru.

- Rogue
srp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Outback is the crossover for the Legacy, and the Forrester is the crossover for the Imprezza, The outback, while larger, gets better milage this year because of the superior cvt tranny, which the Forrester is scheduled for next year.

A fool uttereth all his mind - Proverbs 29:11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My girlfriend has a 98 Forester with 206K on it. It's an impressive car but I don't like the boxer engine. Changing the spark plugs is difficult, the camshaft seals failed several times, and it's more complicated than it needs to be.

Quando omni flunkus moritati

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (257_X_50, 160user, 257Bob, 163bc, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,786
Posts18,477,223
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.