Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I was at my good friend's place the other day, doing what I could to bring holiday cheer and some good conversation (mostly about guns, hunting and politics of course) into what can be long days for him. He is fighting through a terrible course of the gaunlet life can eventually become when your flesh starts to turn against itself.
This all said, his mind is fresh as a daisy and keen as a scalpel making the dialogues very much a warm fire in the fist of winter.
For my friend it is a vexing thing seeing good tools that have become familiar as old friends, and some newer ones as exciting as a hot date, sitting in safes and drawers not doing as their makers intended. He decided to make sure that his hunting tools continued in a posthumous legacy of outdoor pursuit, and the enjoyment of hourly tinkering with powder and ball.
During my recent social calls, Monashee decided I needed to help him organize some things so he could send me home arms overflowing with such generous gifts as I could never repay. Thankfully I am not the only recipient of his bigheartedness, and I was able to dable some in organizing other items before his mind was overcome by the daunting weariness of his form. During our banter he asked me to post pictures of some of his beauties as he is a savvy person, but not so much with the Photobucket.
So for his and your pleasure I give you a picture and a brief description of 4 of Monashee's rifles. I ask that if you have read this you say a short prayer for the man that his strength will return to match that of his mind so I can return these home. Until that hope can be realized they have a place at the front of my safe and I will be take them to range and the field regularly as they were intended.

[Linked Image]
L to R then Front.

1.Remington 700 LA BDL SS

Spirally fluted bolt w/hidden skeletonized handle
Bevan King barrel w/ 6 flutes 24" in 280 Aclkey Improved
Wildcat Stock with 14" LOP
Built by Rembo making this a collection of Canadian components with a Canuck at the wrench

2.Remington 700 SA BDL SS
Spirally fluted bolt w/ skeletonized handle
Shilen Barrel custom contoured 24" in 6.5 Remington Magnum
Remington Ti Stock
Built by Greydog

3.Remington 700 LA ADL SS
Spirally Fluted Bolt w/ skeletonized handle
Ted Gaillard barrel (around #3) 6 flutes in 25-06 Ackley Improved
McMillan KS ADL Stock (the rifle was a rebarrel KS)
Purchased from Rembo, Rebarrelled by Dave Jennings

4.Remington 700 SA BDL SS
Action is trued
Bevan King barrel 6 flutes 24" in 22-250 Ackley Improved
Remington Mountain Laminate Stock

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rem338win;
Thanks for posting the photos and for visiting Monashee.

Though we've only met via the phone and by exchanging emails/PM's here, he and his wife are on my list of folks that I pray for daily.

If you happen to talk to him again please reaffirm that to him, but please know that I've told him that pretty much every time we've corresponded.

Anyway sir, thanks again for doing this favor for him. All the best to you this Christmas and in 2013 too.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for posting these. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him and his lovely missus. They is good people.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
We have never met, but, I have told him that if I can ever assist him on any of his medical visits here to Vancity,I will be happy to do so.

I have dealt with a wife who fought serious medical issues from when we wed in 1982 to when she finally retired last June and she still has them. She won't quit and talks of moving to the Kootenays so I can live where and as I want to.

So, I am so impressed by people who live with illness and yet really LIVE and never give up. Life is hard, gets much more so after 60 and, yet, it is such a gift, we are so blessed to just live in Canada/BC and people like Monashee add so very much to that, God Bless him and those fine people who help him and his lady.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
He is still reading these pages, so rest assured gentlemen that he is hearing what you are saying.

Merry Christmas.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best Wishes and Thoughts

(Beautiful Rifles)

Life is just one damned thing after another
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Prayers sent and Merry Christmas to him and the Mrs.

Roy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonderful rigs, I especially like #2. Prayers sent up from Montana.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Prayers, well wishes, and a Merry Christmas to Monashee. I remember speaking to him about Dozier knives a couple of times. I hope his mind stays strong and he body returns to strength.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prayers Said.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Prayer will be sent.Wishing things go better for Murray.Dam

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
May the God of all comfort attend our brother; thanks for posting this!

May his strength return, or may he be able to sing as Simeon:

Lk 2:29 �Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace,
according to your word;
30 for my eyes have seen your salvation
31 that you have prepared in the presence of all peoples,
32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and for glory to your people Israel.�

I have no doubt Christmas will hold extra personal meaning for him & his family this year!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sit here with a heavy heart after speaking with Murray this afternoon. He and Denise took me into their home a stranger a bunch of years back, and I left a friend. Been in touch ever since...nicer people don't exist!

Murray if you're reading this, hang in there partner!

PS... Number 4. was built by Rembo as well.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Beautiful rifles! Most of us don't know the fine details of each other on here (or even the slightest) but at least we all come from the same cloth and appreciate life, family, hunting and the tools of the trade.

Merry Christmas to you my fellow sportsman/shooter, as I tip my black coffee with a splash of Baileys. Wishing you the best.

NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Merry Christmas and prayers sent.
Though I'm younger than most, I was just sitting in my stand the other day thinking of what to do with my guns if something should happen to me. The thought of them not being used or sold off for scrap really bothers me. I would much rather a good friend have them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If someone will pm me an address, I will send him a card in hopes of producing a smile on a random day.

Greg

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I haven't spoken to Murray for a while now. We've had a few phone conversations over the years, always involving a rifle sale or swap.

We have never met in person although I feel I know him in some some small way. Calls to finalize a gun deal always turned into a half hour or more. Three or four years ago Murray traded me a Sako AI in 17 Rem in a McMillan stock for rifle #3 which was a 30-06 at that time. I still have the Sako and it won't be going anywhere any time soon.

I kind of thought I had something to do with #4, thanks to my old rifle swapping/buying/building buddy 280_Ackley for pointing that out.

The 280AI was originally built for myself, I just can't hang on to rifles. It's in a good place now. I built another one very similiar just last spring. By some miracle it's still here.

rem338win,..Murray is fortunate to have friends like you nearby.

I wish Murray and his family all the best.

Merry Christmas to all.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prayers Sent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best wishes with kind thoughts & prayers on Christmas Eve.......for the both of you.

Seeing & having a friend in such straits is hard on both parties.

MM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.