-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
B
I know, but Im about what if's. What if your right strong hand is out of the fight. Wouldnt be better on strong side for the weak hand. You could still get to it on weak side ankle, but maybe faster on other ankle. Time matters. What if.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Can't recommend a holster for that gun. What I can tell you is that the gun needs to be very light and the holster very secure if you wish to ankle carry anything.
The only situation where it is practical is where you know you'll be touched in the waist area and you must not be made.
Fine for guys like Popeye Doyle, but usually not for for the rest of us. E
Yep.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Agree with you & TLEE. Initially, ankle holsters seem a good way to carry a small gun especially for backup. I work as an armed guard & tried carrying a .380 in an ankle holster around the house & it simply didn't work. Not only uncomfortable, but difficult to access. A small holster in the middle of my back works the best. I hope I never have cause to use my regular handgun much less the backup.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Ankle holsters have their place, I have one made by Renegade. Renegade is the consummate Mom & Pop shop, you can only order by phone or fax; but they make the best ankle holster out there.

Ankle holsters are really good when you�re sitting down, such as at a restaurant or driving. If you�re not sitting down, the ankle holster is really a poor choice. There�s just no discreet way to reach for a gun in an ankle holster if you�re not already sitting down. So they�re great in certain specific circumstances, but they are very specialized; just have to keep that in mind.

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree with Kevin.

Renegade Holsters is at the very bottom of my list and will never again see a dime of my money. When I was a young, new and a very, very broke cop, I bought one of their ankle rigs. It was comfortable. Within a couple months of wearing it on patrol (with a J frame) it had holes wearing through the material.

My then girlfriend (now bride) and I had to save up just to buy the ankle rig. I had to buy everything for my position from gun,gunbelt and ticket book to uniforms, all on 583 bucks every two weeks. We were piss ass poor.

I called up Renegade and told them that the ankle rig had worn through in spots in just a matter of months and was no longer secure. I asked if they could fix it.

I was basically told to go pound sand and that they did not warranty the holsters past 30 or 60 days ( I do not recall exactly what I was told it has been a while).

I did not want to be without a BUG, so I ended up using duct tape to hold it together for months while we saved up enough to get a new ankle rig from someone else.

Here are some pics. I saved the holster as a reminder of piss poor customer service and a perfect example of how NOT to treat people.

You can still see the old glue from the duct tape:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can�t comment on your experience, but that holster doesn�t look ANYTHING like my renegade.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Kevin can you post some pics of your renegade? I am curious now to see what you have.

Mine has their little tomahawk emblem in the corner and with the Phoenix AZ mark.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks, and a belated Merry Christmas!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not a ankle holster but I have a 5.11 holster undershirt for deep backup carry and it works very well with a small auto or J-frame.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mac,

Mine has the Renegade emblem, but the holster section of mine is made of thin leather, not cloth/cordura or whatever yours appears to be made of. Mine looks exactly like the one pictured at this forum (scroll about half way down): http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-holsters-carry-options/116162-ankle-carry-2.html

Now understanding that my Renegade doesn�t get carried daily, all day, every day like yours appears to have been. In fact it typically only gets carried if I�m going inside someplace for a meal or will be sitting for a long period of time. For just walking around, I ditch the ankle holster and pocket carry if it�s a BUG, or hip holster carry. So mine has not seen anywhere near the wear that yours has. Still, given the construction of mine and the fact that I�ve had it for at least 8 years, I tend to think my Renegade would fare much better than yours has. And after 8 years of irregular use, it looks little different than it did the day I got it. The only thing I can think of is that yours is a very old design or something.

But for me�and this is just me�After trying a few others, I strongly prefer the Renegade. If I managed to wear mine out, I�d buy another one. They�re typically less expensive than other brands, and mine has worn very well. Plus, my pistol seems to ride more securely, yet is available in a flash. The elastic strap over the back of the trigger guard is very slick.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i carry a smith ti 342 pd everyday in a galco ankle glove. these are the only ankle rigs I've used in my 18 years as a cop. i find them comfortable , dependable, and reliable. it's my main method of off duty carry as well.

FJB
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I too have found the Ankle Glove to be the most comfortable.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I found their website, it looks like I have their "model 50"

http://www.renegadeholstersdirect.com/page14.html

The real issue for me was not simply that it began to fail in a matter of just weeks. The issue was the piss poor way they treated me.

It had to be one of the single worst examples of customer service that I can ever recall in an industry that usually prides itself in taking care of customers and "doing the right thing".

I think they probably have a decent product and the non elastic versions of the holster, the ones with the leather cover look like they would work great, but after I was treated in such a manner, when I needed them to make things right at a critical time, I really don't think they deserve any more business from me.

I am a pretty easy going guy, but I don't forget.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Ankle holsters have their place, I have one made by Renegade. Renegade is the consummate Mom & Pop shop, you can only order by phone or fax; but they make the best ankle holster out there.

Ankle holsters are really good when you�re sitting down, such as at a restaurant or driving. If you�re not sitting down, the ankle holster is really a poor choice. There�s just no discreet way to reach for a gun in an ankle holster if you�re not already sitting down. So they�re great in certain specific circumstances, but they are very specialized; just have to keep that in mind.

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree with Kevin.

Renegade Holsters is at the very bottom of my list and will never again see a dime of my money. When I was a young, new and a very, very broke cop, I bought one of their ankle rigs. It was comfortable. Within a couple months of wearing it on patrol (with a J frame) it had holes wearing through the material.

My then girlfriend (now bride) and I had to save up just to buy the ankle rig. I had to buy everything for my position from gun,gunbelt and ticket book to uniforms, all on 583 bucks every two weeks. We were piss ass poor.

I called up Renegade and told them that the ankle rig had worn through in spots in just a matter of months and was no longer secure. I asked if they could fix it.

I was basically told to go pound sand and that they did not warranty the holsters past 30 or 60 days ( I do not recall exactly what I was told it has been a while).

I did not want to be without a BUG, so I ended up using duct tape to hold it together for months while we saved up enough to get a new ankle rig from someone else.

Here are some pics. I saved the holster as a reminder of piss poor customer service and a perfect example of how NOT to treat people.

You can still see the old glue from the duct tape:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can�t comment on your experience, but that holster doesn�t look ANYTHING like my renegade.

Kevin post a picture of your holster I would like to see it as well. Do you wear it a lot? I was thinking of one as well.

FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A year or so ago I made an imitation of my Crossbreed Supertuck out of some leather I had laying around. I made it to fit the SW Bodyguard 380 I bought for the little woman and used the spare Supertuck clips I had (I use the velcro ones). As it turns out, this little guy makes a very smooth transition from IWB to the inside of a cowboy boot - which she usually wears when not in uniform, duty belt, etc... The boots hide it nicely while keeping it securely on her person. As others have stated, it's not the ideal position to draw from, but better than leaving it in the truck.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Ankle carry is not one that I would recommend as a primary carry except in unique circumstances. In some situations of warm weather business attire, I will slip a J frame into a pants pocket. This beats ankle carry (for me).

It is a pretty rare situation I cannot come up with a solution to better arm myself. Ankle carry is 99+% of the time simply for a BUG for me.

These days I work plain clothes and my J frame rides in my left front pants pocket most of the time. I can stand casually with my left hand in my pocket while I talk with people I don't know as I determine if they are a going to be a problem.

Another thing about ankle carry is that you actually have to practice drawing from various positions besides just kneeling down and drawing the gun.

I am a weapons retention instructor and when asked about the subject, recommend that users learn to draw with either hand, while flat on their back, just as if they had been knocked down, or shot.

It is also recommended that a smart carrier learn to access the weapon while flat on your back and have someone on top of you in the mounted position (think ground fighting/grappling).

This one is very, very critical for LEOs, as many are killed by their own weapons after being pounded on, having a security holster defeated, then executed.

While the BG is fighting to get the primary, trap his hand on it, then draw the BUG and let 'er rip.

Sorry for the thread drift, just thought I might share a little extra info that some might find of interest. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only thing I know about ankle carry is a story from The Miami Herald from about 30 years ago which I remember distinctly for the unfortunate "oops" factor.

It seems two Cubanos in a bar got into an altercation, comments of "maricon" and "puta" were exchanged, and one man bent over to retrieve his gun from his ankle holster. As he bent over the other man pulled his gun from his waistband and put a bullet through the back of the first man's exposed head.

The reader may reach his own conclusions.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,308
Posts18,487,182
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.