Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm waitin' to hear Bristoes take on this matter. Dude knows moonshine.

GB1

Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

He's working I'll bet.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is it legal for personal consumption or not? I know of some fellas that make it that say so, I've read otherwise.

Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I really don't know.
Maybe one of the LEO'S on board will read the thread and know the Federal/state laws.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's a site that may sell stills. Has many different states listed and required permits.

http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/id8.html

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bobby (the jack booted thug who's dad lives in OK)your safe to make 200 gals in Missouri. Get busy.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the 70s we worked with the Tennessee National Guard.... They would bring water buffalos filled with scuppernong brandy, moonshine made with wild grapes...a couple a hundred gallons to Ft Stewart for manuvers.

Twould litterally knock one out of his boots. I personally saw a black man turn green after a few hits on the jar.

Them were the days!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I went to a 5-day field trial event last spring and some of the southern boys brought all sorts. My favorite of those I tried was flavored with green jolly ranchers; sweet and I'm sure it could have snuck up on an unsuspecting fella.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Oh,..I'm no expert, but the best I ever had was made the old fashioned way (no added sugar) and had a very nice corn flavor. An industrial electrician I used to work with would make up a small batch of it for himself and friends during the holiday season.

After seeing what he went through to make it, I concluded that not much moonshine is going to be very high quality. It takes *way* too much work for it to be worth doing when it's done the old way.

It wasn't overly strong,...maybe 110 proof, or so.

The commercial liquor that most closely resembles moonshine is Buffalo Trace White Dog,...but it's got too much rye in it for the corn flavor to come through.

Georgia Moon is crap,...80 proof sugar whiskey with no flavor at all.

O
O
Here in West Virginia they sell legally taxed corn alcohol in a Mason jar in liquor stores. They do so in Virginia also. I do not care for it these days, but it is as good as the stuff I used to purchase in the 1960s via dead-drop, placing a $10 bill in a Pabst Blue Ribbon can, poked in a knot hole of a tree near the New River Bridge in SW Virginia, going back latter to find a Budweiser can substituted for PBR in the hole, which was the signal to go to the rope around the bridge abutment and pull up my gallon jug which was left to chill in the New River.

Last edited by Outpost75WV; 12/26/12.
IC B3

Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Outpost75WV
Here in West Virginia they sell legally taxed corn alcohol in a Mason jar in liquor stores. They do so in Virginia also. I do not care for it these days, but it is as good as the stuff I used to purchase in the 1960s via dead-drop, placing a $10 bill in a Pabst Blue Ribbon can, poked in a knot hole of a tree near the New River Bridge in SW Virginia, going back latter to find a Budweiser can substituted for PBR in the hole, which was the signal to go to the rope around the bridge abutment and pull up my gallon jug which was left to chill in the New River.

The mason jar shine was $10.99 a jar out here. Passed on that and bought one called Platte Valley corn whiskey. Got home and looked at the back of the jug, says 3 years old 80 proof Distilled in Kentucky, bottle at McCormick Distilling Co. Weston, Mo.
So I'm going to need to read before I buy in the future. Not a fresh Moonshine for sure.
Drank some out of the old Hard Rock Las Vegas jigger.
Not bad. Burn on the old sore throat just right.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Never was a fan of sugar liquor, but shine made the old way from malted corn and cornmeal is a treat. When you pull the lid and have that sour corn smell you know your there. Don't think the legit guys will ever be able to match it.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm sure the legit guys could make it, but the price would be so high that nobody would pay it.

Back in the old days, processed sugar wasn't widely available, so the whiskey makers had to make do with the sugar that occurs naturally in corn.

After processed sugar came along, good home-made corn liquor became a thing of the past.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Is it legal for personal consumption or not? I know of some fellas that make it that say so, I've read otherwise.

It is illegal to have or distill your own spirits. Period. I will buy the bonded stuff. Got a nice bottle of Kansas Clean Distilled for Christmas. Very unique flavor which reminds me of some of the better shine I have had in the North GA area. I just prefer to know what I am drinking now days.

What does it mean when the primers fall out of the case?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Had some made the old way not to long ago, but your right it is a labor of love, not to sell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
After processed sugar came along, good home-made corn liquor became a thing of the past.

According to the TV show, so it may be true or not, no sugar equals about one gallon per bushel of corn. With sugar a lot more. Back in the 1970's I was working in East Arkansas and we got the Memphis, Tennessee TV stations. One night while channel surfing I ran across a show about making moonshine, on PBS. They showed the whole process from building the still, making the worm and all the way to making whiskey, step by step. When they ran one quart, the Feds (there all along) came in a busted it up. It was made for educational TV and I have always wondered if a person could get a copy of the video. Another one that I wanted was when Sir Edmond Hillary (I think) was mapping India by triangulation. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Now that's the way it was done...

Had a fellow in the community that always knew where you could find a jar or 2. Ask him about getting some and he would ask you if you knew where a certain tree along a certain road was. If you knew, he would tell you to leave the money buried in the can. You go dig where he told you and sure enough there was just what you ordered, 1 jar- 2 jars- or a gallon, it didnt make any difference, with a prince albert can. If you didnt know where he was talking about, he would name off places until you did.
I asked one of his daughters wasnt they afraid he would get caught? She just laughed and said that would never happen, and she was right, he never got caught!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by blanket
Never was a fan of sugar liquor, but shine made the old way from malted corn and cornmeal is a treat. When you pull the lid and have that sour corn smell you know your there. Don't think the legit guys will ever be able to match it.

No comparison. Real true corn shine goes down like water.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

The bridge in Giles co? There is still a little shine being made in those hollows. wink

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
They say 80 proof on the Georgia Moon, but it sure tastes the part.
I actually like the Platte Valley a bit better, and as I recall its around 100 proof. The color is a little off putting being sort piss yellow, but its dang good stuff.

that's cause it's aged in milk jugs

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (1badf350, 1234, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,045
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.