Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,056 of 1,842 1 2 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Had a neighbor that picked Suckers every spring. Pretty darn good eating too.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a buck last night who already dropped his antlers, really early for this area. thought it kinda odd but he appears healthy otherwise.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Pickled walleye?? Thats just crazy enough to work!! Pickled sunnies are awesome too!

Ryan - A buddy of mine called me yesterday and said he seen a buck up close while bowhunting that had already lost his antlers too. Strange...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw one a week or two ago close that had dropped them, I passed him up. I would have let this one go too but he was at 150 yards and I couldn't tell. longest ML shot to date. got a yearling doe 20 mins later coming to the same field he was in, it was a good night!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You're going to need a bigger freezer man!

grin

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 smile I've given a few of them away to some friends who really needed the meat but couldn't make it out hunting, or didn't have any luck. I'm still going to try and make it to new mexico in January to cow elk hunt as well smile we'll see how that goes. I have the OK from my wife, and I can take a few days vacation time.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Research your pickled northern before you get started. Northern pike can carry a parasite that cold process salt pickling will not kill. Use a heat process for pike.

And don't eat any if you don't know how it was processed.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh so now the troof comes out...nordern pike have space herpes! eek

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I knew this when I was a kid growing up on the iron range, it's true. Most people don't know about it and pike is probably the most popular fish to pickle in MN. (personally I like pickled sucker)

google "northern pike pickling parasite" or something similar. I've found data on this right on the MN DNR website in the past.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how nasty of parasite is it? how common? I suppose I can look it up myself smile

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It's probably why you're so damn skinny Ryan, you're full up with the pike worms.

grin

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've never heard of that Dave. Good to know. Here is the first thing I found when I googled it:

Pickled Northern Pike Recipe

This recipe can be used with any fish but northern pike works best. Before using this recipe be sure to freeze the fish at least 5 days. This will destroy any parasites that are present in the fish or bacteria that may have been picked up during the cleaning process.

So it sounds like it will be ok if you freeze it first?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Broad Fish Tapeworm, Diphyllobothrium latum
Adult broad fish tapeworms are found in the small intestine of fish-eating mammals such as bears, cats, and otters. They are huge worms, often more than several yards long. Several species of fish, primarily northern pike, carry these tapeworm larvae. If you eat improperly cooked fish infected with these larvae, they are likely to grow in your intestines too.
Life Cycle: 1 The eggs pass in the droppings of the host mammal to water, where they hatch into free-swimming forms called coracidia.
2 Coracidia are eaten by microscopic crustaceans called copepods. Inside the copepods, they develop into larvae called procercoids.
3 When a fish eats an infected copepod, the procercoids move into the fish tissues. They develop into wormlike forms called plerocercoids.
4 When a mammal eats an infected fish, the plerocercoid attaches to the wall of its intestine and grows into a mature tapeworm.
Effects on Fish: A broad fish tapeworm does not weaken a fish or stunt its growth. If a healthy northern pike, for example, eats an infected fish, the plerocercoid will migrate into the pike's flesh and encyst again. The plerocercoid will not develop into an adult tapeworm until a mammal eats the fish.
Effects on People: Warning�if you eat an infected fish, tapeworms are likely to grow in your digestive tract. They are not only gross, but they also can cause a nutrient deficiency, especially a vitamin deficiency. People have died after getting this type of tapeworm from sources such as inadequately cooked or cold-processed pickled northern pike.
To avoid this tapeworm, only eat thoroughly cooked fish. Cold-process pickling does not kill tapeworms or cysts! If you pickle fish, be sure to use heat in the processing.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
. thought it kinda odd but he appears healthy otherwise.

Not anymore. grin

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Here is a quote from U of M extension
Caution: the broad fish tapeworm

The broad fish tapeworm infection can be contracted by humans from eating raw or undercooked species of fish found in the Great Lakes area.

Those who wish to prepare raw pickled fish should first freeze the fish at 0� F for 48 hours.

The larvae of the broad fish tapeworm pass through smaller fish until they lodge as hatched small worms in the flesh of large carnivorous species of fish, like northern pike, walleye pike, sand pike, burbot, and yellow perch. This worm, if eaten by humans in its infective stage, can attach to the small intestine and grow to lengths of 10 to 30 feet. shocked The infective worms are destroyed readily either by cooking or freezing. Two recent outbreaks of this tapeworm in Minnesota were related to eating uncooked pickled pike. Those who wish to prepare raw pickled fish should first freeze the fish at 0� F for 48 hours.

Yeah...I don't think I want a 30 foot worm in me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my neighbors at the cabin has me bring him any slimers I catch by accident when trolling for walleyes. He smokes them, and they are REALLY tasty.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love smoked and pickled fish. Growing up in eastern South Dakota my grand parents canned a lot of stuff but my favorite was smoked bullheads and carp.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Any of you Norwgeian wannabes ever have rokkefisk?

It is a crock or buck of small trout that have been gutted and then layered in a bucket or crock with a little water and pinch of salt, and then left there for a month or three.

To serve, simply drag out the crock, rinse and serve. Pretty good actually. I had it only one time when I lived in Oslo, but it was good stuff. Never had the courage to try making it myself.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Never heard of it.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I love to spear ,its my favorite way to ice fish.
Back when the wife and I were dating,my BIL had a few ice houses for rent on Leech.
He had one that a 30 lb or so muskie would visit almost every day.
Lets just say,it made a big impression on my city girl,about 6 inches below the ice. laugh

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Page 1,056 of 1,842 1 2 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 58 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.