Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7239754 12/29/12
B
bn1234 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
We were hunting yesterday with the temps in the 20's and windchill in the teens and I couldn't keep fingers warm. The rest of my gear(Socks, Boots, Pants, Coat, Hat) was fine, but not any of the 3 pair of gloves I tried.

Any of you cold weather hunters have any gloves you like?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear green wool mil-spec thin gloves but for over a decade I have sworn by a roo-tube and a couple hand warmer packs inside.....sim to this one below

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How do you carry a rifle whilst hunting when using that thing?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Slung on your shoulder, leaning on a tree, or in my case....laying on a gun rest on my tree stand as I wait

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How is it without the hand warmer packets

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like glommits with thinsulate. Aroound here, you can get them at Menards, Fleet Farm, etc. Make sure that they only have leather on the palms or they won't breathe.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
+1 on Glomits when its cold; cold varying by personal ability to tolerate. The Handpouch pictured is popular here in NE Wis for stand hunting.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by bn1234
We were hunting yesterday with the temps in the 20's and windchill in the teens and I couldn't keep fingers warm. The rest of my gear(Socks, Boots, Pants, Coat, Hat) was fine, but not any of the 3 pair of gloves I tried.

Any of you cold weather hunters have any gloves you like?

I'll try to resist calling you a candyss. Went coyote hunting here in ND this morning. Snowshoed out a half mile from the road, then a mile west towards where I think they are denning up. Was out there for 2 hours - temp was -10, with a 8mph wind out of the northwest.

[Linked Image]

What kind of gloves are you currently using? Cold fingers are the first thing to send me in the direction of the truck. I have a tough time keeping my fingers warm, and am continually looking for "the gloves" that will give me the service I am looking for. Haven't found the "be all/end all" yet. Mittens are best for keeping your hands warm, but obviously aren't very rifle friendly. I try to make do with Thinsulated deerskin/elkskin gloves, until I start getting cold.
You could do the mitten thing with a liner glove of sorts, yank the mittens off with your teeth when it's time for dexterity. Mittens back on when the smoke clears. Others will chime in with some better advice, perhaps. I'd be willing to spend some serious money if it'd keep my fingers warm every time I'm out....

Kaiser Norton

Last edited by Kaiser Norton; 12/29/12. Reason: added photo

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
How is it without the hand warmer packets

It works great even without the packets....it allows me to wear a thin glove but still keep warm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably 10yrs. ago--army surplus store in Omaha, bought two pair of "artic expedition" snow mobile gloves. Mitten type with slit in palm to allow finger exposure. Back of gloves have a pouch for a "hand warmer" to be inserted into. Then I wear a super thin set of Thinsulite (sp)inside the mitten. Dexterity is great, stays plenty warm, and they are large enough that you can pull your thumb inside to keep it from freezing off. I think I saw some similar on (sportsman's guide} in their surplus section. L.L. Bean has a set of battery operated ones I been looking at---maybe?
G

"If you don't stand up for what you believe,,you stand for nothing"
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have the same problem of cold hands/fingers. Still trying to find a three(3) finger glove/mitt. Could be called "crab claw" gloves. Ive seen them many years back. Backpackers/skiers have them.

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It doesn't get as cold down our way as it does where a lot of you folks live. Occasionally, a cold front will drop us to minus 10 or so, but that is not the norm. We do get some terrible wind with the attendant wind chill.

My usual hand cover used to be thinsulate liners under leather. Now days that is usually replaced by thinsulate lined leather. I also really like the mil surplus wool liners under leather. For the worst cold, I have a pair of tan colored highly insulated thinsulate fabric gloves with leather grip surface. (kind of like ski gloves) that work really good. Problem is, comes time to shoot, the right one has to come off. Jack

I do not hunt in near or sub zero anymore. Been there, done that, not much left to prove. If I do, it would likely be from a ground or elevated enclosed and heated blind. The older I get, the more I like warm!

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leather flannel lined mitten with a trigger finger. > 20 degrees.

< 20 degrees I insert polypropylene gloves and insert Thinsulate gloves for below zero hunting.

No screwing around removing mittens.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a pair of wool mittens with the fingers in them, kinda flaps back out of the way to leave you with gloves with the tips of the fingers removed. used them a lot in all kinds of weather for hunting doing chores and fishing. works great in the upper midwest where it can get pretty cold

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nothing works. My hands are always cold, but my feet never get cold.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Ice Armor gloves for me from October through March. I use the medium weight ones for most of the year, but on the cold coyote hunting nights the heavy weights come out.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine doesn,t look just like that one but instead just something at picked up a wally world years and years ago.
I love it with or without handwarmers,and keep a compass and all sorts of things in the Zippered pocket.
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For stand hunting the muff is where its at its pretty nice IMHO. For walking glo-mits with thinsulate are the next grab for me.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a variation of glomitts from Sportsmans Warehouse. Instead of bare fingers, they have thin fabric full fingers inside the mitten. The fingers aren't insulated but it's just enough to keep the fingers relatively warm when the mitten is pulled back since you don't have bare fingers exposed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got a pair of thick mittens that have a slit in the palm with a suede flap. You can sneak your trigger out of the flap when you need to. Worked pretty well before I went to glommits.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,094 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,620
Posts18,533,112
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.