Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Of course the G19 is no pocket pistol.

The OP didn't ask for opinions on pocket pistols.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Whatever you shoot the best and feels the best to you plus is 100% reliable with your chosen carry ammunition.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
for a guy that has never owned or carried a CCW before recommending a glock 19 isn't a good idea. I still stand by that. start someone off with a gun that big and it will just get left in the safe. I personally hate IWB holsters for everyday use. it also leaves you stuck with an untucked shirt tail which isn't always an option for alot of people. this is especially so with a mostly full gripped glock 19.

I think it makes more sense to start a guy off with a small gun and if they want more go up from there. if you conceal a full size 1911 or glock 17 or 22 or even glock 19 more power to you. I just think it makes more sense to let a person decide to up gun down the road. someone mentioned the glock as a brick, yeah its a bigger gun, IMO it may overwhelm people trying to carry it all the time. a kahr CM or PM9 is also a great choice. but for me the width isn't the issue is more size.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's all a compromise.

For the OP, he's already accustomed to his 22Mag, and 44Mag.

Carrying a G19, or similar sized pistol, doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me.

He did indicate 9mm, 40 or 45. It's certainly his choice to make, but I wouldn't opt any of those chamberings in a pocket sized gun. That's just me.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
for a guy that has never owned or carried a CCW before recommending a glock 19 isn't a good idea. I still stand by that. start someone off with a gun that big and it will just get left in the safe. I personally hate IWB holsters for everyday use. it also leaves you stuck with an untucked shirt tail which isn't always an option for alot of people. this is especially so with a mostly full gripped glock 19.

I think it makes more sense to start a guy off with a small gun and if they want more go up from there. if you conceal a full size 1911 or glock 17 or 22 or even glock 19 more power to you. I just think it makes more sense to let a person decide to up gun down the road. someone mentioned the glock as a brick, yeah its a bigger gun, IMO it may overwhelm people trying to carry it all the time. a kahr CM or PM9 is also a great choice. but for me the width isn't the issue is more size.

I personally love IWB holsters.

And Glock 19's.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If someone won't carry a Glock 19 they will not carry anything else either that's considered a fighting gun.

J frames and 380's are nice to carry but they are not a fighting pistol. They are simply "get the [bleep] off me guns".

Fighting gun min is a Glock 26/27, Kahr CW size pistols and similar.

Dink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sig 938 or believe it or not a Glock 19, yes I carry one frequently under a tee shirt and have not been "made".

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You pulled that out of your rear end, because everything you just posted is made up B.S. when it comes to civilian concealed carry weapons. If you're talking fantasy combat computer games shooting zombies, you may have something. But a civilian in need of an offensive fighting gun may should be looking at a rifle with a handgun being used to fight your way to the rifle. In the real world, day to day in your home, your business, or out in public as a civilian, you need to think less about weapons for an extended fire fight against zombies, and think more about something you can easily carry, easily deploy, and accurately get off a couple rounds in about three seconds within a range of about twelve feet. Being about 50% of all such recorded incidents occur in the home, you probably want a round that will have low flash so you do not loose your night vision. It is not the only choice, but a J-frame shooting short barrel 38 Specials is not only an outstanding choice, it is often most recommended for such encounters. I'd save the fantasy zombie talk for computer games.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Not sure I follow this and it may be a bit misleading for someone reading this thread to gather some info to pick a concealed carry gun. But the Glock 19 is not a concealed carry pocket pistol along the lines of guns that do fit in that category such a a small J-frame. The Glock 19 is a valid choice for concealed carry, but it is larger and falls into the category of mid-sized holster guns. Nothing wrong with a gun in that category, but it is what it is and some may prefer something that falls into the pocket gun category.

The latest statistics released, which recorded 500 civilian self-defense firearm incidents showed that most of the encounters were inside four yards, were sudden, were brief, and had fewer than three rounds fired. The most common caliber used in all the recorded incidents were 9mm/.38 Special. Large caliber handguns are generally not recommended for such encounters. The weapon needs to be sized such that it is easily concealed and carried at the times needed. Some situations truly warrant a pocket pistol where a mid-sized hoster gun may be too large and too heavy.
Pocket carry is a sub category of concealed carry. I never do it, myself. I only carry concealed in an IWB holster, which doesn't require limiting myself to a handgun fit for pocket carry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MM, Nothing personal, not trying to ruffle your feathers I Kinda feel the need to walk on egg shells when talking to anyone about choices in riflescopes and concealed carry handguns. Some get very personal when it comes to choices not their own. I was just trying to put some clarity on gun size and fit and add some perspective for someone new who may come across this thread looking for guidance. As example, your smallest concealed carry guns are the Glock 17 and 22 which are full sized duty guns that weigh over two pounds. This may be perfect for some in compact concealed carry, but for others, this may bring nothing to the table and be no more than carrying a full sized duty gun.

Not sure how compact the OP needs to fit his bill, but if the weapon is to be used for civilian concealed carry, I'd recommend staying in the neighborhood of a 9mm/.38 Special shooting ammo designed to work close quarter in short barrels with low flash. Getting too much larger than a 9mm/.38 Special in a short barrel compact gun, you start running into added recoil and muzzle flash that is neither needed nor wanted in a defensive close quarter encounter.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
MM, Nothing personal, not trying to ruffle your feathers I Kinda feel the need to walk on egg shells when talking to anyone about choices in riflescopes and concealed carry handguns. Some get very personal when it comes to choices not their own. I was just trying to put some clarity on gun size and fit and add some perspective for someone new who may come across this thread looking for guidance. As example, your smallest concealed carry guns are the Glock 17 and 22 which are full sized duty guns that weigh over two pounds. This may be perfect for some in compact concealed carry, but for others, this may bring nothing to the table and be no more than carrying a full sized duty gun.

Not sure how compact the OP needs to fit his bill, but if the weapon is to be used for civilian concealed carry, I'd recommend staying in the neighborhood of a 9mm/.38 Special shooting ammo designed to work close quarter in short barrels with low flash. Getting too much larger than a 9mm/.38 Special in a short barrel compact gun, you start running into added recoil and muzzle flash that is neither needed nor wanted in a defensive close quarter encounter.

Best smile
Particularly short barrels are not required when carrying concealed, unless one is talking specifically about pocket carry, which is the least advisable method of concealed carry IMO. Short barrels also don't reduce recoil, as you seem to be suggesting. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Not sure I follow this and it may be a bit misleading for someone reading this thread to gather some info to pick a concealed carry gun. But the Glock 19 is not a concealed carry pocket pistol along the lines of guns that do fit in that category such a a small J-frame. The Glock 19 is a valid choice for concealed carry, but it is larger and falls into the category of mid-sized holster guns. Nothing wrong with a gun in that category, but it is what it is and some may prefer something that falls into the pocket gun category.

The latest statistics released, which recorded 500 civilian self-defense firearm incidents showed that most of the encounters were inside four yards, were sudden, were brief, and had fewer than three rounds fired. The most common caliber used in all the recorded incidents were 9mm/.38 Special. Large caliber handguns are generally not recommended for such encounters. The weapon needs to be sized such that it is easily concealed and carried at the times needed. Some situations truly warrant a pocket pistol where a mid-sized hoster gun may be too large and too heavy.
Pocket carry is a sub category of concealed carry. I never do it, myself. I only carry concealed in an IWB holster, which doesn't require limiting myself to a handgun fit for pocket carry.

mid-sized holster guns are also a sub category of concealed carry. Nothing to stop a gun sized in the pocket gun category to be holstered. Only point I was making is that some may have a need to pocket carry. Walking around shirtless in shorts is an example where one may prefer to conceal a handgun in their short pocket. Gun not only needs to be compact enough to fit, but it needs to be light enough to work. Another reason why I favor a J-frame, though that is not the only good option.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're taking my post out of context. Not sure where you get that from my post. I wasn't saying a larger gun/barrel has more recoil. Was saying going too large in chambering in a short barrel compact gun may add to recoil and flash in a negative and excessive way. Using my LEO secondary conceal carry gun, being a snub nosed model 60 .357 magnum. Though I shoot 100% scores on daytime qualifications using full .357 mag ammo, testing has shown that using short barrel engineered ammo chambered in 38 Special increases efficiency when shooting low-light close quarter combat courses. This is due to this short barrel ammo having reduced recoil and reduced muzzle flash. Being that the latest statistics showed that 50% of the recorded self-defense handgun incidents occured in the home, that data shows that using such a reduced recoil, reduced muzzle flash ammo would be to a greater advantage than any terminal ballistic performance one would gain using the magnun ammo.

I'm not picking sides and drawing lines in the sand, it is just the opposite. I was just pointing out where some had drawn a line in the sand as certain hanguns being not an option, when in reality, all the facts and data show differently. Because of my occupation and my position, quite a number of folks new to guns have stepped forward seeking advice on concealed carry handguns. This is especially true since the latest school shooting. Not every handgun is the perfect size and choice for every person.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 12/31/12.

- Clint Eastwood
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

No, but the OP did say that some double stack pistols felt a little big in his hands. That may indicate a need for something in Kahr realm or similar -- or simply something with a single stack mag. Of course, only he can tell by actually handling some candidates.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

No, but the OP did say that some double stack pistols felt a little big in his hands. That may indicate a need for something in Kahr realm or similar -- or simply something with a single stack mag. Of course, only he can tell by actually handling some candidates.

I've never seen a grown man, who wasn't from the "shire", who's hand was actually too small to obtain a proper grip on a Glock. I teach people to shoot for a living, and I know what a proper grip looks like. I see grown men unable to properly grip a 92F all the time, but never a Glock. Women are a different story.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
You pulled that out of your rear end, because everything you just posted is made up B.S. when it comes to civilian concealed carry weapons. If you're talking fantasy combat computer games shooting zombies, you may have something. But a civilian in need of an offensive fighting gun may should be looking at a rifle with a handgun being used to fight your way to the rifle. In the real world, day to day in your home, your business, or out in public as a civilian, you need to think less about weapons for an extended fire fight against zombies, and think more about something you can easily carry, easily deploy, and accurately get off a couple rounds in about three seconds within a range of about twelve feet. Being about 50% of all such recorded incidents occur in the home, you probably want a round that will have low flash so you do not loose your night vision. It is not the only choice, but a J-frame shooting short barrel 38 Specials is not only an outstanding choice, it is often most recommended for such encounters. I'd save the fantasy zombie talk for computer games.

Best smile

Yep every shoot out is at 5.9 feet with three to five shots fired.

Well unless you get one that is not average.

Please continue to carry your j frame it might work out for you. Then again it might not.

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some prefer using the straight thumb / close to the slide grip technique for combat shooting, and may prefer a smaller grip than normal to hold that high. Through Sig, our team came up with a new smaller grip design specifically for shooting straight thumbs. I've seen guys with big hands prefer small grips and guys with smaller hands prefer large grips. It's not cookie cutter by handsize alone.

Last edited by GaryVA; 12/31/12.

- Clint Eastwood
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Here is a average gunfight for you. The only difference is the bad guy had the snubby loaded with speer +p (135 grain I think). Its worth looking at the pics.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/98...h_Moar_Graphic_Pics_on_pg_29_and_30.html

Dink

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I've never seen a grown man, who wasn't from the "shire", who's hand was actually too small to obtain a proper grip on a Glock. I teach people to shoot for a living, and I know what a proper grip looks like. I see grown men unable to properly grip a 92F all the time, but never a Glock. Women are a different story.

If you were my instructor I'd shoot myself.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If you were my instructor I'd shoot myself.

Travis

You probably wouldn't need my help Travis.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (8MMX57JS, Akhutr, ak_Rick, 7 invisible), 906 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,103
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.