Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i heard a guy talking yesterday.
never had this experience of course in arizona.
But he said in sub zero weather in remington 700's he had the bolts shear and break.
Anybody familar with this?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I know some people have had issues with the bolt handles coming off with 700's. I also know that cold weather can make things very brittle. That being said, I've never had a remington fall apart when being fired in -40's and -50's type temps. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't happen. If a particular rifle is prone to having bolt handles break off, then yes it would make sense that it could happen more easily at very cold temps. Other than that, I would say I have no idea what he was talking about.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Gets chilly here. Nothing has not worked.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure this has happened to some members in the hunter's campfire forum.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
But he said in sub zero weather in remington 700's he had the bolts shear and break.

Was the guy part of a drug study ?

grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You mean there are actually hunter's there ?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great....now I'm gonna have to send all my 700 bolts to Gre-Tan to have those little screws installed...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
musta be a guy talking himself into ruger grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I'm sure this has happened to some members in the hunter's campfire forum.

Laughin'....

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lived in as cold a place as you can get, lots of guys running Rem 700's and I never heard of this happening. Not saying it cant as -40 to -50 degree weather can [bleep] up a whole lot of stuff but Remington bolts falling off is a new one to me.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ykrvak
I know some people have had issues with the bolt handles coming off with 700's. I also know that cold weather can make things very brittle. That being said, I've never had a remington fall apart when being fired in -40's and -50's type temps. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't happen. If a particular rifle is prone to having bolt handles break off, then yes it would make sense that it could happen more easily at very cold temps. Other than that, I would say I have no idea what he was talking about.

Actually, I don't see where it would be more prone to happen in extremely cold temps. Although cold temperatures seem to increase the break rate of things (very generic grouping) -40 or -50 isn't real extreme from a metallurgical perspective. Now the bolt freezing up and someone pounding on it with something is a whole different scenario.

More like some kind of urban legend (untruth)...

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn
You mean there are actually hunter's there ?

By law, not many on the freak show can even own firearms.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
the guy is not bogus, quite knowegeable on firearms, also was a professional guide on big game in idaho for a number of years. He was talking minus 20 type of weather by the way.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Was the guy trying to trade in his 2012 apocalypse survival kit? crazy It is -8 at my house as I type this. Maybe I should put my one of my Remingtons outside and snap off a few inches of barrel off in the morning to make myself that carbine I always wanted grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never called the guy bogus, but honestly -20 isn't really cold when you live in the interior of Alaska and lots of guys shoot in those temps, cant fathom not hearing about a problem like that regarding Rem 700's in a place where it can be -20 5-6 months out of the year and everybody hunts!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've been using 700's in temperatures well below zero for several decades now and never had a problem, either in cold or warm temperatures. Have probably put well over 100,000 rounds through 700's. Maybe I've just been lucky!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple Model Sevens which I've used for 15-20 years, several times in weather that dipped into the minus 30s somewhere. And I've killed stuff with them then - at least when the firing pin had enough momentum. I've also run a Model 700 in some cold temps that didn't seem to phase it. That specimen was one which gave up it's bolt handle, but did it in the 20s above. (I suspect the cold temps actually helped keep the silver braze frozen tighter since it failed when it was warmer! whistle )

Jet airplanes routinely run in -60� F temps. I suspect we'd hear about cold metal fatigue in them quite regularly if cold temps were a serious issue with metals such as those used in rifles. Remington's occasional problems with bolt handle failures is not a materials or design problem. Rather, it is an assembly and QC issue.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Bolt handles have been known to fall off 700's. Almost all will never have a problem. If you got a good one it won't fail, if you are unlucky to get one of the very few bad ones it will. I don't think cold weather is a factor.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
I've probably hunted in -20�, -30� and one time I was crazy and killed an elk at -39� ... I could hardly wait to cut a hole in that old fella and dip my hands in it's WARM GUTS.

Almost all my cold weather work has been with Remington 700s; here in Hells Canyon of the Snake, in norteastern Montana and in central & northern Alberta.

Simply no problems to report with Remington 700 bolt handles or anything else.

Note: I DO run my 700 bolt innards ABSOLUTELY DRY when used in extreme cold weather. Clean all the grease off the spring & firing pin and spray with a military moly. I lubricate my locking lugs & cocking helix with a suggestion of Shooter's Choice Cold Weather Lube.

A little bit of cold weather preperation to the working parts of the bolt surely saves a possible grease-induced misfire when it's incredibly cold.

But the 700 bolt handle ... it ain't a problem. Not in the cold and not in the hot.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
must have been in 1986 when it was -42. my 700 worked on a bull my buddies win 70 froze.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,109
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.