Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Still haven't gone yet, definitely want to. Two sons in college, still have to work. Almost checked out two years ago with heart failure, better now, but only 60% or so which is as good as it's going to get. Have started on my bucket list since I got ill in late 2010:

1. Make sure my family is well provided for: check!

2. Took entire family to Europe on vacation: check!

3. Successful brown bear hunt in Alaska: check!

4. Youngest son doing well in college, oldest son out of the Rangers pretty
healthy and doing well in college: check!

5. Family trip to Hawaii:

6. Bear hunt with my two sons:

7. African hunting trip (cape buffalo and plains game):

I still hope to get it all done in the next 5 years, time will tell. I may be able to move up the plains game hunt since I have a business trip to JoBerg in the next year or two, but the cape buffalo hunt will have to wait.

smile

Last edited by colorado; 01/01/13.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by colorado
I may be able to move up the plains game hunt since I have a business trip to JoBerg in the next year or two, but the cape buffalo hunt will have to wait.

smile

Once here, give me a call I'm sure I can hustle up a cold beer somewhere.

It is never to delayed, until heath problems or old age capture up with you. Just keep in mind for those on the barrier, you will die with cash unspent that probably would have compensated for a journey to African countries.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
219 Zipper:

I agree with the post that said if you can breathe, you can go. Pick your venue carefully and select a PH who will accommodate your physical limitations. Perhaps Namibia would be a good choice, as Windhoek has very good medical care and you can hunt a few hours away from there. There is good medical care in SA as well. Join Global Rescue or Medjet.

I moved heaven and earth to go on safaris every year until I completed my Big Five. The sacrifices I had to make to complete that goal were well worth it.

Remember what Mario Andretti once said:

"If you're ever going to do it, do it now!
If you wait, all you get is older."

Book a flight to Dallas and go to the DSC show, which starts Thursday. Walk around and talk to people. If you can't make it to Dallas, Go to SCI in Reno. You will never regret your safari. With it, you will have memories. Without it, all you will have is dreams.

Well put. Three of my hunting buddies have more physical ailments than I can list. And all three are older than my parents but they went to the SCI show talked to the PH and booked hunts the PH's made sure they had the time of their lives and that their age or illnesses were not a factor. Heck one guy is legally blind and he took some animals and had a great hunt.
You are probably not too old or too sick. You might be suprized with what some PHs will be able to hunt with so go to SCI tell them what you are limited by and you will probably book a hunt of a lifetime.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
I may be able to move up the plains game hunt since I have a business trip to JoBerg in the next year or two, but the cape buffalo hunt will have to wait.

smile

Once here, give me a call I'm sure I can hustle up a cold beer somewhere.

I will, Pieter will you be at SCI Reno?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I waited until I was 65 to go on my first African hunt, and I'm glad I went. Shot a 55" kudu, two 40" gemsbok, a zebra, a warthog and two baboons. Here's a picture of my kudu.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BulletBud; 01/05/13.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will, Pieter will you be at SCI Reno?

I have not done Reno but have done the Shot Show and DSC. Also did various smaller shows and at Bass Pro HQ in Springfield Mo.

It always astonishes me to be speaking more Afrikaans in the US than in Pretoria.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Great Topic. After reading this I will keep the hope alive!

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Still haven't gone yet, definitely want to. Two sons in college, still have to work. Almost checked out two years ago with heart failure, better now, but only 60% or so which is as good as it's going to get. Have started on my bucket list since I got ill in late 2010:

1. Make sure my family is well provided for: check!

2. Took entire family to Europe on vacation: check!

3. Successful brown bear hunt in Alaska: check!

4. Youngest son doing well in college, oldest son out of the Rangers pretty
healthy and doing well in college: check!

5. Family trip to Hawaii:

6. Bear hunt with my two sons:

7. African hunting trip (cape buffalo and plains game):

I still hope to get it all done in the next 5 years, time will tell. I may be able to move up the plains game hunt since I have a business trip to JoBerg in the next year or two, but the cape buffalo hunt will have to wait.

smile

Great bucket list but why not combine #6 with #7 and take your sons on an African hunt instead of a brown bear hunt? It costs less and the weather's better.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1234, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,211
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.