Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have no idea how much weight to give an answer to this question on this thread, but here goes.

1) Does a 50mm objective give a brighter image than a 40mm objective when the power of each results in the same size exit pupil?

2) Is it easier to make an exceptional 50mm objective lens as opposed to making an exceptional 40mm one?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
1) Does a 50mm objective give a brighter image than a 40mm objective when the power of each results in the same size exit pupil?

I will sorta answer the above question. Although the answer will be two binoculars and not two scopes. But at leased you will get something to rebut or agree with.

Sunset is at 4:47 today. I went back out and laid them on the sandbags at 4:40. With the Nikons 7X35 I could barely make out the fork of the antlers on the fence 131 yards away. At 4:44, if I didn't know they were antlers, I could not at make them out. Back and forth every minute between them and the Bushnells 8X40 proved again what I have stated many times here: "Larger exit pupil helps in low light" is an internet optical myth. The Bushnell allowed me to see the fork until 4:54. That�s an extra fourteen minutes. Finally at 4:59 I could not tell the antlers were there. For those who don�t know exit pupil is the objective diameter divided by the magnification power. Both have an exit pupil of 5mm.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AlanW
I have no idea how much weight to give an answer to this question on this thread, but here goes.

2) Is it easier to make an exceptional 50mm objective lens as opposed to making an exceptional 40mm one?
The size of the exit pupil determines the amount of light available to the ocular lens regardless of power. Back in the day, it was easier (cheaper) to make quality lenses that were smaller. However, with today's manufacturing methods high quality larger lenses are easy to make.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by PaleRider
I don't believe I've ever read anything that Chuck Hawks wrote that I found interesting.......... smile

laugh

laugh laugh laugh & raise you one laugh

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm confused about something written here. Somebody wrote that they used a higher power scope to identify a target was a doe not a buck.

Do people really point a scoped rifle at unknowns to identify a target? Would you use a hammer when you need a wrench? I'm stumped that this would still happen! How could anyone point a rifle loaded or not at an unknown target?

This is what field glasses are for. You identify your target before you point a high powered rifle at it. It's not just simple courtesy towards other people and property, but basic common sense and gun safety.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do people really point a scoped rifle at unknowns to identify a target? I'm stumped that this would still happen!

Some do. Where I used to work at the door plant I had a boss who told me that's what scopes are made for. He used his rifle scope to glass for game. I never hunted with him.

How could anyone point a rifle loaded or not at an unknown target?

I bet at least half the folks who post on 24hour do it. When I was young I used to and bet most have.

Would you use a hammer when you need a wrench?

Millwrights do the opposite all the time. If they could they would.

I'm confused about something written here. Somebody wrote that they used a higher power scope to identify a target was a doe not a buck.

Do people really point a scoped rifle at unknowns to identify a target? Would you use a hammer when you need a wrench? I'm stumped that this would still happen! How could anyone point a rifle loaded or not at an unknown target?

This is what field glasses are for. You identify your target before you point a high powered rifle at it. It's not just simple courtesy towards other people and property, but basic common sense and gun safety.

If you go back into your history you will see you posted that you told one of your clients to turn up his scope so he could see the animal in low light. I have used your experience as additional proof that turning up the magnification on your scope allows one to go longer into low light.

You are the same as the guy above who pointed a scoped rifle at a KNOWN target, a deer, to verify whether it was a buck or doe. The hunter found the deer with 8X binos; to use your term "field glasses". In the light available he could not tell if it was legal with his 3-9X scope. I had to turn up my scope all the way to 25X to verify whether the hunter was going to shoot or not. I do NOT apologize for pointing a loaded or unloaded rifle at a game animal I or someone with me might shoot if it is legal. The scope is the last chance to verify a legal kill.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JJHACK

I have to say I agree with Ringman. The target is identified, it's a deer, you're not compromising safety at all by putting it in the scope to decide if it's a shooter or not. If you're glassing or checking out movement with your scope then that's a different story, but there's nothing unsafe about looking at something you already know to be a deer through your scope for a final evaluation.

In the south where I hunt if you see a deer and can tell it's got a decent rack on it then you'd better be looking through your scope at it pretty quick or you won't get another chance. I've had good bucks get past me because I screwed up and tried to evaluate them through my binoculars instead of my scope. Our deer don't typically stand around in open fields in the daylight waiting for you to look them over and decide if you want to get your gun up.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,340
Posts18,526,828
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.