Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have 400acres and would like to put some more cameras out. I have 2 currently but feel its not enough. What is your favorite camera and how many do I need? Also to keep deer on your place, do you feel feeders or food plots are better? Reason I'm asking is because we also have a separate cattle farm and I have about three calf creep feeders I was going to try for deer.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You need as many as you can afford or at least remember where you put them. For that many acres, I would have a dozen (and I'd forget where 8 of them were).

These are, for the money, I think about the best available
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cf...utm_campaign=website_recs&src=mbHome

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on the primos cameras, though i like the 35 better. simplier with switches instead of having program it with screen. had very good luck with the primos cameras, prob 10 or so in 2 years. Only 1 crapped out and was repaired under warranty.

dave

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+2 on the Primos Truth Cam 35. Nothing fancy but still available new from Natchez for $75 and refurbished 2 for $100

Good Service from mine. I have a Cuddeback Capture Flash camera and must have gotten the only good one cause I read lots of negative feedback on the Cuddeback products and customer (non) service.

Just put out a new Scoutguard 565 flash camera that I picked up from Trailcampro and it is showing some promise as well.

For lots of cameras I would go for the Primos 35 for the money you get a lot of camera.

Brent D, Was wondering how the 35 compares to the 46 if you would have both?

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have had good luck w/ Bushnell Trophy Cams. I shoot video clips only.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've had really good luck with BTCs, hard to beat them for the price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regardless of the brand selected, I'd suggest sticking with the simplest available. The more onboard bells and whistles there are, the more likely some feature or another is going to fail, and there may additional battery drain as well. KISS.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/03/13.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I use Moultrie cameras,great pictures but durability has been an issue after about a year,they begin to fail IME.

I am going to try the refurbished models.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the discussion and recommendations. I'm wanting to pick up a couple for my place as well. I do have a question though. For my needs, I'm not micro-managing inches of antler, is there any reason to spend more money for higher quality images? My BIL has one out (Wildgame) on the edge of a field and it takes great daytime photos and decent enough nighttime photos if they are close enough. For me the picture quality is good enough, but I would like a longer flash range. Any suggestions as to what brands have a very good flash range? Are the IR/Blackout flashes proven to not spook deer as bad or are they more to catch the buyer? TIA

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Chainsaw, I have only the 46s. No 35s. I want the extra distance. I get a lot of night shots with vague outlines of animals that are too far from the camera.

I have one Moultie (and another that was stolen). It has been servicable but nothing great. Easy on batteries but hell of a PITA to get the SC cards in and out on cold days in the field. I don't know what model it is, but it is pretty old and probably has been changed since then.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use 6 different brands. Best IMHO is my Moultrie i55s. Great battery life. These are all on feeders so there's 400 pics a week. Oh ya, plots and feeders to keep em around. Do both, and be happy happy happy

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the primos 35 have very good battery life (4 d batteries). I just checked a camera that had 2000 pics and was still at 70% battery. Had one take over 5k pics on one set of batteries.

dave

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Home built ones by someone that knows what he is doing
I bought a Homebrew camera made from a Sony S 600 camera (from memory)
Way out performs any other camera i had so far

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've had 3 wildgame inovations cameras for 3-4 yrs .these cameras have takin thousands of pictures .batteries last forever in these things.i have lots of game in my yard all summer long and some nights one camera will take 100 pics of bear and deer . they are very easy to use and cost less than 100.00each.

my cameras stay in my yard more than in the woods but they get used year round.

Last edited by srwshooter; 01/04/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i've had 3 wildgame inovations cameras for 3-4 yrs .these cameras have takin thousands of pictures .batteries last forever in these things.i have lots of game in my yard all summer long and some nights one camera will take 100 pics of bear and deer . they are very easy to use and cost less than 100.00each.

swrshooter, Are these flash or IR cams? What size battery do they take? Just Curious......

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive had a bushnell trophy cam and it takes great pictures. The only problem I have had is the sensativity of it. If in the woods I have to set senativity to low or it will take pictures of leaving blowing in the wind. First time I put it out it took 2200 pictures in 1 1/2 days. Battery life is marginal from what Ive read from other reviews.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Originally Posted by srwshooter

swrshooter, Are these flash or IR cams? What size battery do they take? Just Curious......

mine are IR type cameras and the take 4 c size batteries. i you are looking to buy some keep an eye on bass pro shop sales this time of year is when sell them at reduced prices

Last edited by srwshooter; 01/06/13.
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a Remington Ghost. It took great pics but crapped out after 6 months. Got it replaced, crapped out again after a year. Tried having the factory replace it again (wildgame innovations) and they basically told me to pound salt. Couple buddies have had wildgame cams and they have all had poor battery life and imo were junk.
Another buddy has a cuddeback and its great. But i can bring myself to spend that kind of coin..
My best luck has been with the low end moultrie cams had one go bad and returned it had zero problems since. Ive had a bear thrash one and i still use it. They take good pics and the battery life is good. Cost is about 120$

Hunt...
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I have great luck with lil acorn cams. Have 8 in use now, 4 are over 2 years old. some taking 800+ pics a week over feeders and plots. I also leave these out year round. Had an issue with 1 camera and Old Boys Outdoors replaced it with no question. 2 year warranty on these also. Cost a little more but I think you get what you pay for. I have 1 cam that has taken over 20,000 pics with no issues.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
i like my bushnell trophy cam

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (3333vl, 300_savage, AdventureBound, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 13,843 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,335
Posts18,546,250
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.