Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A number of you have requested more bear photos from my recent trip. So here you go, this ought to give some of you bear fanatics a little fix. These bears were all killed by bowhunters the first night of their hunt, the first week Casey (the owner of Lost River Outfitters) and I were there.
<br>
<br>This was this lady's first bear. This pretty gal has also taken a number of deer, a cougar or two, and the state record bow kill moose for a woman in Montana. In short you wouldn't want her chasing you with a bow in her hand. This 18 1/2" P+Y bear couldn't of gone to a nicer person. Her, and her husband were absolutely top drawer people. Her husband (on the left) btw, is the son of the guy that owns and runs Howard Hill Archery.
<br> [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>This young man (14 years old) on the right and his dad on the left both killed dandy bears their first night of hunting. This bear's skull was just shy of 18" and had a beautiful coat on him. When this kid shot the bear he had several bears around him and was really anxious for Casey to come and get him!
<br> [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Two night before this bear was killed I video taped this big bad boy at a scant 18 yards. I really should'a gone back and shot this bear, but in truth, I'm really glad this hunter shot it instead of me. I have a bear this size already and this was this hunter's first black bear. He was thrilled to say the least and the fact that his son scored on a very nice bear on the same night just made it all that much better. Just like the couple in the first photo this guy and his son were super people to be around and much deserving of their success. The bear's skull green scored at 20 12/16". That's a great bear anywhere!!!!
<br> [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Here's all three bears lined out side by side. What a great way to start off my 3 weeks up there. If you have debated whether to try bear hunting up there or not, these photos really ought to help you make up your mind. It was success like this for 3 weeks solid. It just doesn't get any better.
<br> [Linked Image]
<br>

Is it Friday yet?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks BigSky,
<br>Now that you've got us drooling and licking our chops. How do we get in touch with Casey? What would a 6 day 2 bear hunt cost? Feel free to pass along my email or email me and I'll send you my phone number.

Using Barnes bullets before they were cool.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Troy, thanks for the photos. But, but, but...... I didn't think you could kill bears with bow and arrow grin.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Any color-phase (brown, blonde etc) in the area?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big Sky,
<br>While I've never met or hunted with Casey,I can vouch that he is a REALLY nice guy.He's about the only person I've ever talked to short of Big Stick that actualy admits to owning,using and likeing a 378 Weatherby. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Do you know if he ever ended up building a 416 Weatherby with that barrel from John Ricks?I told him about John's barrel,and he got pretty excited but he then left to go hunting with you and he hasn't gotten back to me on whether or not he got the barrel.
<br>
<br>WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Sky,
<br>
<br>Thanks for sharing the pics! My first bear hunt is next year and it is always great to see hunters out doing their thing!!
<br>
<br>Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Was the father in the father-son duo missing a part of one of his fingers, by chance? Looks like a relative I havent seen in a while.

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There were some color phased in the area but neither I nor any hunters once I arrived saw any. The week before my arrival two cinamons were killed. One was smallish the other was a dandy with 19+" skull. I was really hoping for a colored bear, but it's predominately black up there. However they really are some of the prettiest black pelts I've ever seen. Really long shiney and glossy. WheelchairBandit, Casey is still toying with the 416 idea. I think he just wanted to get all his hunters taken care of this spring and then he'll get back to messy with the rifle. He did have kind of a fun rifle in camp though. It was a double barreled 20 gauge coverted to a sidexside 45-70 using barrel sleeves. Fun to shoot, but weighed a ton. Oh and to whoever asked about the fingers on the father/son team I believe everyone had their fingers, or at least I didn't notice any missing. MuleyStalker don't get me started with that bows wounding bears thing...you know better.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
grin [Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nice animals and thanks for sharing those pictures with us.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sounds like a great bow hunt to me. Any links for this place?
<br>
<br>Brian

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's the link to their website. http://www.lostrivercanada.com/

Is it Friday yet?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,373
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.