Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is this true? I heard at the gun store. What are the specifics?

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
I heard at the gun store.

It must be true!

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i believe they are moving some "assembly" operations to portugal. however, it would not surprise me if they moved everything to a foreign country. after all, the owner (fn) is foreign, and the labor is cheaper offshore. fn is in the business to make a profit for their shareholders, so i can't fault them if profits will increase. our regs are making it increasingly more difficult to produce products in america. ymmv.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I just like the idea of buying American guns. Not that I would not buy guns from another country. I just would like the American icon Winchester to stay in America. That way I know Americans are getting paid to produce the rifles I buy.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Theyre just moving "some" operations to Portugal. But mark my words. In 10 years the whole [bleep] gun will be made there.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's not as bad. I do stress buying American wherever I can. Seems to me that's a dying idea for the less informed

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I heard (here at the 'Fire, so take that for what it's worth) that Winny is moving all Model 70 "assembly" operations to Portugal. Parts manufactured in the US, shipped to Portugal, and returned to the US as assembled rifles.

Makes my decision easy, Remington it is.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That is rather sad, if true.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Makes my decision easy, Remington it is.

Same here.....

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will reserve judgement until I see some results. The crap that Remington and Marlin have put out lately might as well have been "assembled" in Croatia. I have had several Browning handguns that were assembled in Portugal and the fit and finish was everything that one could want in a factory product.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not surprising.
Winchester is made by Browning and they have been assembled in Portugal for years.
Doesn't seem to have affected quality at all.
It is all about the cost to put the product out the door.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i believe they are moving some "assembly" operations to portugal. however, it would not surprise me if they moved everything to a foreign country. after all, the owner (fn) is foreign, and the labor is cheaper offshore. fn is in the business to make a profit for their shareholders, so i can't fault them if profits will increase. our regs are making it increasingly more difficult to produce products in america. ymmv.

+1 ... Like it or not, we are now part of a global economy. Frequently it boils down to finding the cheapest labor source, or going out of business. Why are Dodge trucks made in Mexico ? Why are Chevy Aveos made in South Korea ? Why doesn't a Ford Mustang qualify as "Made in America" ? I do not like it either. But it is becoming the way of the world. Companies either adapt, or fold up shop...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The M70 is a Browning product, and Browning doesn't make anything, it's been jobbed out to FN-SC. Not sure how much is made at the FN plant anyway. The trigger is a Browning unit and that I think is jobbed out elsewhere. The stocks are not made by FN and the wood stocks I believe come from one of the Italian gun makers. The bottom metal is not made by FN but is jobbed out elsewhere. So already, they have parts made and assembled elswhere that are then shipped to FN-SC to assemble with the parts they make. Only thing changed now is that it is more cost effective for Browning to have everyone, including FN-SC send their parts to the Portugal operation for assembly. I wouldn't expect much to change with the end product when it comes out the box.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/02/13.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Makes my decision easy, Remington Savage it is.

Couldn't agree with you more :-) Or Cooper or Shaw or Kimber or Defiance

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I wonder if the prices on the Winchester M70 will drop, remain the same, or rise!

SD

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
FN moved all of the Browning line to Portugal a long time ago though Browing has a HQ in Utah.
It makes sense to me as they have all this located in a central spot.
Belguim browings are assembled in Portugal.
I would by a wnn assembled there.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll bet that the prices of Pre-64's goes up.
B.I.F.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think a foreign made M70 would be about as satisfying to own as any other foreign made replica of the older classics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Makes my decision easy, Ruger it is.

Same here.....

smile

Last edited by avagadro; 01/03/13.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Belgium Brownings" have been greatly coveted for the biggest part of a century. Though I have several of those I too would like to see the whole FN/Winchester/Browning product made literally lock, stock & barrel here in the U.S. but it doesn't look likely. There are some great areas here in the Southeast I'm sure could provide the minimal labor required for new production methods. Nashville, Huntsville, Columbia, Knoxville, Charlotte, on & on.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,187
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.