-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like fun, I am going to cheat and set 5 of them at 100m and shoot once at each one, just for kicks. I think I will use full cans, they're probably pretty safe.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]
<br>I did the can thing yesterday and had a hoot. I promise that you will enjoy it, and I bet that you will be amazed at the punishment an empty can takes. Everbody knows that you can bang all day at one witha 22lr, but with a 375 H&H? I was sure surprised.
<br>
<br>I tried the paper target tonight. Lots of fun too, but I think it is more fun to see the cans go flying at impact [Linked Image] . Also the paper will not be a challenge for you unless you try to hurry the shot. 5 seconds is still just a tad too fast for me, but maybe with practice....

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Rolly- I'm going to give it a try, and will do it off-hand, but does "a field position" mean it has to be off-hand? What other positions might Cooper have been talking about?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Acy - Seated, squatting and kneeling are all much more effective than offhand, especially if you practice these positions, and are able to use your sling.
<br>
<br>Bill in NE - I'll certainly try to submit some targets for this Poatal Match, but who knows if it will all come together. I'll definitely do some "accelerated heart rate" shooting, just to see how that affects me.
<br>
<br>Also, I saw in another forum that you'll be in San Francisco later this month. Perhaps we could hook up for a beer/coffee/meal.
<br>
<br>Regards,
<br>Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That statement is so disapointing. I don't follow Cooper but I do know that the "teacup" example is about the MOA ratio of the ten ring at 200 yards which is used for rapid fire postion rifle competition. So I guess that's how Cooper came up with it. And competent shots do hit it almost all of the time from prone. The other positions are more difficult for most.
<br>
<br>Good shooting can be done. It comes from competition. If you do compete you will find that you can shoot much better than you thought.
<br>
<br>

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What do you think of this definition of "field positions"?
<br>
<br> Any unaided position the shooter can assume and still take the shot in the allotted time. The only exception to "unaided" would be a shooter in a semi-permanent cast, brace, wheel chair or other device that is on or takes the place of injured/missing body parts. Shooters who fall into this description would still have to deal with the 5-second time limit. The idea being the game animal or armed enemy will not cut you slack due to a disability.
<br>

Rick

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think Col Cooper's train of thought is that the person starts with the rifle at "Port Arms" or the "Ready Position" as he calls it, then, on command assumes any position he desires and fires one round into a 3" circle @ 100m, all within 5 seconds including looping up if desired.
<br>
<br>If anyone has read The Art of The Rifle he alludes to this kind of testing in the last chapter. Col Cooper seems to have no time for persons who desire perfection in their groups only those who desire to excel as shooters under pressure.
<br>
<br>Just my take on the above,
<br>Bob
<br>

"This country, this world, the [human] race of which you and I are a part, is great at having consensuses that are in great error." Rep. John Dingell (D-MI)
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think that this illustrates how a relatively accurate rifle that fits a shooter well is all that is needed for good shooting. For most, money would be better spent on ammo than "extras". Not making this some anti-expensive/custom gun thread, just making an observation.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Why do we shoot our pistols with both hands? Because it's easier to hit things that way. Cooper didn't come up with this idea, but he is the reason we all do it, and he approaches rifle shooting the same way. If you haven't read The Art of the Rifle, you really owe it to yourself to do so immediately.
<br>
<br>Has anyone tried the Rifle Ten or Snaps as outlined in The Art of the Rifle? You need a 300m range and a rangemaster who will let you run around on it with a loaded rifle, but both are GREAT exercises. I shoot them every chance I get, especially if I've been feeling like a badass. They can be a brutal dose of reality. Okie John.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 21, 56 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,457
Posts18,489,764
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.