Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a 336 with a Leupold 1 piece base. I installed the base last year and have shot well with the rifle. I did notice daylight under the rear screws of said mount, and yes I put the screws on right and tightened them properly. I am thinking brass might make the best shim for this situation what say the gunsmiths?

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Sound like the screws are too long. I can remember if they go all the way through on the action I don't thing they do.
If they don't your screws need to be shortened.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by KLStottlemyer
Sound like the screws are too long. I can remember if they go all the way through on the action I don't thing they do.
If they don't your screws need to be shortened.

Actually I just took the thing apart...the base actually has a crown . I put a straight edge on it and the only areas it touches are at the rear screw and the 2 front screws. There are no marks or binding to indicate the bolt travel is hindered. There are only 2 front screws and one rear screw holding this thing on. I tried about every tightening sequence to get the "gap" to disappear but to no luck. It is still there. Other then bringing it to a machine shop to grind it flat it might be just as well to A. keep it as is B. try another brand of mount that has 4 mounting screws.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Accurglass gel.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Send it back as defective.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Craigster
Send it back as defective.

With the new info this is the best option.

Something's not right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The base not fitting flush at the rear is very common with re-barreled military rifles, and even some factory rifles.

For shims, I use aluminum soft drink cans. This is easy to cut and shape to fit under the base without being noticeable. These cans are also easy to cut with scissors.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Ok since when is a Marlin 336 a military weapon??
Did you read the first post??

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
i have used a feeler gauge and cut from shim stock of the proper thickness. best way is to bed the rear with acra glass..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I wrote the above post, I added 'Yes, I know the Marlin 336 is not a military rifle.'

Then, I erased it because I thought it was too smart azz, because I thought most people would realize that I knew it was a 336, and the same thing applies to most, or all rifles with bases on top of the receiver. The fix is the same, regardless.

Seems I should have left it in the post. There is always one.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it shoots well why mess with it?
It is just as likely that the receiver is off slightly and the scope base is fine.

If it were me, I would bed the rear of the base with acraglass gel and be done with it.

If you can't improve on silence, shut the #@&% up!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The fix is not the same.

It depends on how much of a shim we are talking about. and then I'm going to want to know what is off. Is the receiver out of shape or the base?
See I don't just start shimming a scope base because it doesn't sit correctly. I want to know precisely why it's not sitting correctly on the receiver and make adjustments from there.

I understand that no off the shelf base is going to fit perfectly but it sure as hell better not require shims unless you want more elevation adjustment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1234567

For shims, I use aluminum soft drink cans. This is easy to cut and shape to fit under the base without being noticeable. These cans are also easy to cut with scissors.

Same here. Cheap, easy to cut to size. About .001" thick.

If the base really is crowned, send it back. Scope bases should be flat. But since bases are made in mass production, they will not necessarily be a "drop in" fit or your rifle. I like to use JB weld for bedding the scope base and John McQuay at 8541 Tactical (look it up on YouTube.com) has a really well-done tutorial for the JB weld bedding method.

God made men, Samuel Colt made them equal!
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by KLStottlemyer
The fix is not the same.

It depends on how much of a shim we are talking about. and then I'm going to want to know what is off. Is the receiver out of shape or the base?
See I don't just start shimming a scope base because it doesn't sit correctly. I want to know precisely why it's not sitting correctly on the receiver and make adjustments from there.

I understand that no off the shelf base is going to fit perfectly but it sure as hell better not require shims unless you want more elevation adjustment.

Receiver top is perfectly straight checked it with a straightedge

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
It is probably the base then. Try running it along some crocus cloth or emery paper bearing down on the front end to take a few thousands off till it lies flat. You may have to shim under the scope at the ring then, to parallel the scope to the bore....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 52 invisible), 3,192 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,129
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.