Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Hi guys,

Hoping for some input on the new T Bolts. I am a lefty and there aren't many nice .22 LRs for us. Does anyone own one? If so, how do they shoot? The local shop has one in synthetic left hand for $735 OTD. I like the way it feels, but that is a lot of money for a rimfire.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice guns, but I personally don't like the looks of the plastic stock. I believe the plastic should come with two mags.

Still, you might want to check with a few other LGS and see what they would charge if they were to order one for you. I think the price you are looking at is about $100 too much.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
think the price you are looking at is about $100 too much.

yup...have to check but i thought i saw a short barreled composite stocked T at my local toy store for around $600-ish a few days ago.

i have 3 T's, pretty fair shooters, would like a better trigger or at least one that is more easily modified; other than that pretty happy with them. shoot well, feed & function fine, very light weight & stock design fits me well. good walkin & stalkin guns for the squirrels...

combination of a very light gun with a heavier-than-it-should-be trigger makes it easy for me to throw a flier now & then when i don't pay attention, but i'm diggin em.

anyone here have one in 17HMR? was just curious as to any reports if so, have never read much on .17 T's. my English stocked T is a 22LR, maples are 22LR & 22mag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

============================================================

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the LH T-Bolt in 22 Mag and it is one of the most accurate rim fire's i own , Buy it, because you will love the accuracy and light weight of the T-Bolt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a synthetic .22 LR after reading bea175's reviews and absolutely love it.

[Linked Image]

$735 for a rimfire? Yeah, when you look at it in those terms it's expensive. Then again, you'll shoot it more than you will any other firearm you own, can afford to shoot it more than any other firearm you own, and if you're a small game hunter, you'll require more accuracy than any other firearm you own. $735 for a rifle that meets all of those requirements is pretty damned reasonable.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks to all who responded. Yes, Bricktop, I was thinking the same way as you (scary maybe :D), I have a Remington 581L that is a tack driver, but it lacks class and style. If the Browning can outshoot the 581L, I will be amazed.

When I stopped by the gun shop yesterday evening, the rifle sang a siren song. I was able to resist, so far, but I can't get away from the idea of a T Bolt to finish my days with. If there were any leftys in my family to pass it on to, I am sure I would get it. If it is still there when I go back in a couple of weeks, I will probably get it anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Thanks to all who responded. Yes, Bricktop, I was thinking the same way as you (scary maybe :D), I have a Remington 581L that is a tack driver, but it lacks class and style. If the Browning can outshoot the 581L, I will be amazed.

When I stopped by the gun shop yesterday evening, the rifle sang a siren song. I was able to resist, so far, but I can't get away from the idea of a T Bolt to finish my days with. If there were any leftys in my family to pass it on to, I am sure I would get it. If it is still there when I go back in a couple of weeks, I will probably get it anyway.
Your estate will have no problem disposing of it when you're gone. whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a righty and have no problem working a straight bolt with my off hand. Its a non factor at the bench. Not that big of a deal while afield either.

However, I had a wood stocked varmint 17 HMR that I sent packing because I couldn't get it to group any better than 1.5"+ no matter what I tried. The trigger wasn't terrible, but combined with the lightweight of the rifle itself it didn't do much to aid accuracy. Sent it packing and picked up a CZ 453 Varmint and got much better accuracy. I like the looks and feel of a T-bolt but my particular example left me unimpressed in the accuracy department - everything else was great.

Last edited by hillestadj; 01/06/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hillestadj
I'm a righty and have no problem working a straight bolt with my off hand. Its a non factor at the bench. Not that big of a deal while afield either.

However, I had a wood stocked varmint 17 HMR that I sent packing because I couldn't get it to group any better than 1.5"+ no matter what I tried. The trigger wasn't terrible, but combined with the lightweight of the rifle itself it didn't do much to aid accuracy. Sent it packing and picked up a CZ 453 Varmint and got much better accuracy. I like the looks and feel of a T-bolt but my particular example left me unimpressed in the accuracy department - everything else was great.
Whatever your alleged accuracy ills, the CZ is not even in the same league -- nor GAME -- as the T-Bolt. The T-Bolt was designed for scope use from the get-go, the CZ wasn't and scoping one is a minor pain in the ass. You're either stuck mounting something WAY too damned high or using something like Millet mounts (which SUCK). And don't even think about using a scope with a "normal" sized ocular bell on a CZ; i.e. a non-rimfire-specific scope. Then there's the matter of the triggers. Whatever faults you believe the T-Bolt possesses in that area, the CZ's is absolutely atrocious with a substantial amount of take up and heavy let off. And yeah, I've read all of the half-assed "fixes" and they're exactly that -- half-assed.

You get what you pay for. The Browning is well-made, capable of great accuracy, and has a company who will (mostly) stand behind their product.

The CZ is a cheap bolt action rimfire that takes a good deal of polish to bring it to the same level as the Browning. I briefly had a CZ and sold it in favor of the Browning.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
[/quote]Your estate will have no problem disposing of it when you're gone. whistle [/quote]

With the Internet, I think you are right. It is a different world than it was 20 years ago. When I was trying to buy my first left hand deer rifle, a local dealer refused to order it with the admonition that I would never be able to sell it when I got tired of it. I told him I wasn't buying it to sell, but to keep. I walked out and never went back. I still have the rifle that I found used in my great uncle's shop about a year later.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Whatever your alleged accuracy ills, the CZ is not even in the same league -- nor GAME -- as the T-Bolt. The T-Bolt was designed for scope use from the get-go, the CZ wasn't and scoping one is a minor pain in the ass. You're either stuck mounting something WAY too damned high or using something like Millet mounts (which SUCK). And don't even think about using a scope with a "normal" sized ocular bell on a CZ; i.e. a non-rimfire-specific scope. Then there's the matter of the triggers. Whatever faults you believe the T-Bolt possesses in that area, the CZ's is absolutely atrocious with a substantial amount of take up and heavy let off. And yeah, I've read all of the half-assed "fixes" and they're exactly that -- half-assed.

You get what you pay for. The Browning is well-made, capable of great accuracy, and has a company who will (mostly) stand behind their product.

The CZ is a cheap bolt action rimfire that takes a good deal of polish to bring it to the same level as the Browning. I briefly had a CZ and sold it in favor of the Browning.
got a leupold 6-18X40 vx II on a little cz 452 no problem

Last edited by ldholton; 01/06/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton

got a leupold 6-18X40 vx II on a little cz 452 no problem
Don't think so. Not without mounting it in fairly tall rings. I've been down that road with the CZ. Yeah, you can mount a scope like you're claiming, but it's not a straightforward process. No way, no how. And there's the matter of the dovetail rail on the CZ. CZ claims it's one dimension, but reality says it's another.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If Browning would have just not used all that plastic in the new T-bolts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 700LH
If Browning would have just not used all that plastic in the new T-bolts.
I considered that, too. However, the T-Bolt has always used either pot metal or some sort of composite for the trigger housing/trigger guard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dont know who pizzed in your Wheaties - just gave an honest assessment of my sample of 1 T-bolt. In the future I'll just defer to your superior knowledge and bow out of any conversation where we have differing opinions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dont know who pizzed in your Wheaties - just gave an honest assessment of my sample of 1 T-bolt. In the future I'll just defer to your superior knowledge and bow out of any conversation where we have differing opinions.
It's not an opinion, it's not a straight forward process of scope mounting on a CZ. That's a fact. As much as I hate to use an Internet message board as a point of reference, the fact that the girls over at rimfirecentral.com have compiled a multi-page list of how to mount a scope on a CZ for multiple mount/scope combinations says a hell of a lot. This is a point that seems to escape you: a CZ452 costs roughly $400, yet it will require a small amount of tinkering to mount a scope, the mount rail is of an inconsistent dimension (the CZ452 American is supposed to be 3/8", but is often more like 10mm or larger), the trigger needs work, and the trigger guard is a crudely formed piece of sheet metal. (Say what you will about the T-Bolt's composite trigger guard/housing, but it doesn't look homemade.) The $400 purchase price of a CZ usually necessitates spending another $200 to $300 in additional parts and accessories and innumerable man-hours to bring the level of functionality up to what you get in a T-Bolt. That's also a fact, not an opinion.

I would rather spend $700 or so right up front, mount a scope, and start shooting without trying to assemble a Rubik's cube of mount bases, rings, and scope. And then apply a half-assed fix to work over the trigger. You get what you pay for.

This is what I imagine of people who try and suggest something of CHEAP QUALITY:

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm a lefty and own a T-Bolt in 17 HMR and in 22 Mag. I will purchase another one in 22 LR next month. I find them delightful to shoot and extremely accurate. My 17 HMR is a varmint and the 22 Mag is a sporter.
For reference, I also owned a T-2 LH Belgium T-Bolt that my friend talked me out of. It is also an excellent shooter.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw this and thought of this thread, so throwing this your guys way.

Buds has Maple stocked 22 Mag T-Bolts in stock.
Would be extremely tempting if they were lefty's

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411552781

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

The one T Bolt I owned didn't impress me accuracy wise. It was a very nice looking rifle, but just didn't shoot that great. Every CZ I've owned or shot has impressed me with good if not excellent accuracy though. I've also never had any issues with mounting scopes on CZ rifles. I have CZ's scoped with various Bushnell Elites, Leupolds, and Nikon Monarch scopes. For actual use, I wouldn't trade any of my CZ's for a T Bolt. Now if I want good looks as well as accuracy, I grab a 54 actioned Anschutz.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Timbo

The one T Bolt I owned didn't impress me accuracy wise. It was a very nice looking rifle, but just didn't shoot that great. Every CZ I've owned or shot has impressed me with good if not excellent accuracy though. I've also never had any issues with mounting scopes on CZ rifles. I have CZ's scoped with various Bushnell Elites, Leupolds, and Nikon Monarch scopes. For actual use, I wouldn't trade any of my CZ's for a T Bolt. Now if I want good looks as well as accuracy, I grab a 54 actioned Anschutz.
I think you can tell any story you want. Looks like bullshit, smells like bullshit, tastes like bullshit.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 61 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,778
Posts18,477,043
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.