Print Thread
Hop To
#7287793 01/08/13
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Took the wife and kids to the same ranch that my boys killed their deer on a couple weeks ago. We had some management type bucks in mind. Found 2 bucks right off the bat. One was a big slick forkhorn, that was forsure a cull buck. The other had 7 good pts on right, but on the left was messed up. I looked at this buck through the spotting scope at 200 yds for 5 minutes. Both, me and the ranch owner decided that he was not broke, but did not make a rack on the left, other then the few full points that were visible. We decided that he fit the description of a management buck. About the time we decided that he needed to be killed, both bucks smelled a rat and high tailed it out of the country. We made a big circle around the brush that they ran into, and climbed a big peak out in the middle of a flat. I found both bucks bedded. They were 400 yds on the money. I got her dialed in, and then me and the kids made a big circle in the truck back to the creek. Both boys, and myself, with my 2 yo daughter on my shoulders headed down the little ridge, that if our plan worked, would push the bucks out of the brush/sunflower patch, and into the open. Once we got to the little ridge over looking the brush pile, the wind hit me in the back of the neck, and I seen both bucks get up and try sneeking out, in the right direction. Our plan was working. Watching the bucks clear the brush, then stop in a perfect opening, I seen the dirt fly up on the other side of the buck, and then I heard the shot. Not sure if the buck was hit, I kept my binos on the other forkhorn buck. He ran just a few yards, and stopped and was looking back. Again, I heard a shot. Then he left the country. Not ever seeing the other buck come out, I wondered what had happened. My phone then rang, and the words were what I wanted to hear. "Hunt Over". We made our way back to Mama and the ranch owner and one dead buck. The buck had came out of the brush, stopped in the only opening that he needed too, and 2 well placed shots later was dead. 402 yds exactly, with my 338 RUM, shooting 200 grain combined technology bullets. But, OOPS, this buck was not deformed, he was broke off. The buck actually had 2 main beams on the left. He must have broken them off not long after he had came out of velvet, because both breaks were rubbed clean, and just looked like round balls. I would have loved to see this buck before he got broke. The buck has nearly 7 inch bases, and 14 countable points as is. Hes going on the wall. I am very proud of her. She made a hell of a shot, or shots. Both shots were 1 inch apart, and about 3 inches behind the shoulder. The dirt I seen fly up, was the bullet after it had passed through the buck.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Toby Joe

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for you putting him on the wall. Quite a shot!

Ted

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to the wife!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nice great write up thanks for sharing it with us!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations Shelby ! Nice write up toby and super photo's. Well done all.
Rolly

Rolly
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta love a woman that can shoot a .338 RUM!

Congrats and thanks for the write-up!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That really is some impressive shooting. Pretty cool looking buck as well.

Is it Friday yet?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
congrats shelby

that gal can shoot any rifle good

FJB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (1_deuce, 300_savage, 17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 37 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,078
Posts18,501,572
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.