Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Hazcat Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I do have the correct bases, and the front one mikes out flat. They're pretty inexpensive, too, and my neighborhood gun shop has a dusty pair that I can get if things go amiss with these. Out of town this week, grrr, but that just gives me time to think it over.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another thing to check for is that when "back in the day" they were drilled for two block Weavers sometimes the rear holes are a little too far forward or a little too far back. A lot were drilled by "kitchen table" smiths that didn't have a template and were just looking to make a buck and they drilled a little off. At the time no big deal as a few shims and it all worked out. Well, not so much. Now when you buy those "old school" drilled and tapped 99s you've got to unfuk what was drilled [bleep] up from the get go.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

H
Hazcat Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Another thing to check for is that when "back in the day" they were drilled for two block Weavers sometimes the rear holes are a little too far forward or a little too far back.

I think you nailed it there. Lightfoot measured a one-piece leupold base for me and my holes are way off. It may have been drilled before the factory decided on their spacing, unless weaver had a template, or the weavers were offered after the factory D&T was started. A drilling template would have made sense, since the rear mount is shaped for a specific position on that graceful rear tang (jeez, that almost sounds dirty!) but I haven't been able to pull anything up on my searches. Oh well, life would be dull without challenges.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hazcat
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Another thing to check for is that when "back in the day" they were drilled for two block Weavers sometimes the rear holes are a little too far forward or a little too far back.

I think you nailed it there. Lightfoot measured a one-piece leupold base for me and my holes are way off. It may have been drilled before the factory decided on their spacing, unless weaver had a template, or the weavers were offered after the factory D&T was started. A drilling template would have made sense, since the rear mount is shaped for a specific position on that graceful rear tang (jeez, that almost sounds dirty!) but I haven't been able to pull anything up on my searches. Oh well, life would be dull without challenges.

I prefer dull. smile

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
Are you sure you have a Front and Rear base? The Rear base should be tapered to elevate the back end. The bases are supposed to be a matched set to get you reasonably level. Anyway, newer scopes give about 25-30 inches of adjustment to play with.
Good plan on not welding a screw in. Most cap screws are 4140 and could get real hard when welded. If you think you absolutely must weld... Open the hole to be welded large enough to be sure you are tapping into weld and not part of the receiver. I wish I had a junk receiver or piece of one to play with also. Good luck on it.

i have the bottom half of a reciever that you can have if you think it will do you any good ,Gary got the top half.

if you want it PM me your address and its yours.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,358
Posts18,527,128
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.