Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're onto something.

A spreader bar screwed into the A pillars with the mirror clamped to that would work.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked up "rear view mirror adhesive" on the innanet and came up with a couple of solutions.

Either the 3M or the Loctite kit. If I had to glue the mirror back on in my truck these would be my choices. I trust both brands implicitly and if you've used either product and they didn't work it's not the product that failed.

Both kits contains not only glue but also an activator. The Loctite product is approved by GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

Here's the links for both.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/me...ite-Rear-View-Mirror-Repair-Adhesive.htm

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...nid=JJHQSCX1N5gsMDCVJW7L8SglRF5L45T8R3bl

I can't speak from experience gluing on a rear view mirror but I've have used super glue (cyanoacrylate adhesive) with an activator (accelerent) and it does make a difference.

Follow the directions to the letter and make sure you remove all traces of the old adhesive.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
After mine fell off in my Chevy truck I just threw it behind the seat. So long as you have 2 side mirrors you don't need a rearview.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
fish head, I think it was the Loctite kit I used last summer. I followed the directions, scraped the old adhesive off, temps were fine, etc. Mirror fell off after about 7 months.

I think I'll try AJ's tip of drilling a hole through the windshield and using a bolt. Does anybody know whether I should use a fine thread or coarse thread tap on glass? grin

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
After mine fell off in my Chevy truck I just threw it behind the seat. So long as you have 2 side mirrors you don't need a rearview.

I'd like to throw this whole vehicle. It's getting to the point where it's starting to cost me money same as if I were still making payments on it. frown

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin
fish head, I think it was the Loctite kit I used last summer. I followed the directions, scraped the old adhesive off, temps were fine, etc. Mirror fell off after about 7 months.

I think I'll try AJ's tip of drilling a hole through the windshield and using a bolt. Does anybody know whether I should use a fine thread or coarse thread tap on glass? grin

Use a self tapping/self drilling sheet metal screw. That way you won't need to use a nut on the backside.

Another fish head tip ... countersink it deep enough so the wipers won't hang up. wink

One more thought. Does the mirror have a tab than can be replaced? If it does then you can be assured that you have a fresh surface for the adhesive to stick to. It should be easy enough to see and feel if the glass is clean.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I'd like to throw this whole vehicle. It's getting to the point where it's starting to cost me money same as if I were still making payments on it. frown

There ain't no 'free' rides.....just sayin'......

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22

There ain't no 'free' rides.....just sayin'......

That's a fact!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head

Use a self tapping/self drilling sheet metal screw. That way you won't need to use a nut on the backside.

Another fish head tip ... countersink it deep enough so the wipers won't hang up. wink

One more thought. Does the mirror have a tab than can be replaced? If it does then you can be assured that you have a fresh surface for the adhesive to stick to. It should be easy enough to see and feel if the glass is clean.

Hey, that's a darned good tip. I would hate to have to cut a notch out my wiper blade to keep it from hanging up on the screw head. laugh

Yeah, the mirror does have a removable base that glues on first, then after the adhesive dries, the mirror is installed and set screw snugged up. I always clean the surface of the tab with MEK and fine sand paper before re-gluing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a new tab. It might have a special coating that aids in adhesion.

That's what I'd do.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head
Buy a new tab. It might have a special coating that aids in adhesion.

That's what I'd do.

Worth a try. I'll see what I can find.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Loctite has new super glue out and has different kinds (quick dry, strongest, ect.)....I have used that stuff on everything and it works better than anything I have ever used before

Including Gorilla Glue

Last edited by Boococky; 01/09/13.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I rarely get more than 2 years out of a windshield, due to the dirt roads. New glass come with the bracket already installed.......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,437
Posts18,470,834
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.