Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
OP Offline
C
Looking for a good hunting rifle in a 30-06 caliber. I have narrowed it between these two rifles. Like both of them and was just looking for a little input on both. Likes? dislikes? any problems with either? Thanks

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vanguards IMO are alot of value for the money

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I own both. My Vanguards (.257 & .270) are consistant tack drivers and seem well made. The 270 is about 20 years old, maybe more - never a problem. I don't think you can beat a Vanguard for the money. Having said that, I don't care for the looks of the new synthetic stocks. My Remmy (.260) has taken it's share of game, but won't hang with the Wbys accuracy wise. And it's bolt locks up about 15% on one lug and 0.0% on the other. It just stays in the closet. The Wby is a safer bet, IMHO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gravestone
Vanguards IMO are alot of value for the money

For a straight out of the box hunting rifle the S2 is a lot of rifle for the money. Hard to go wrong with one.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
the Vanguard S2 is very good. Out of the box, it will have a better trigger than the 700. The S2 is also a fairly heavy rifle, although mine is still very comfortable to me. For whatever reason, though, I generally prefer the feel of a 700.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My Vanguard S2 stainless steel 270 Winchester is the most
accurate rifle I own.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Excellent trigger, very accurate right out of the box, and a little paint can cure the ugly stock.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Model 700 everytime...

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rem 700. 100 times out of 100. You guys can have the Weatherbys

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the weatherbys a lot but I guess it depends on the 700 you are considering. If it is the discount synthetic stock vs the BDL. In actuality both are good guns and you should be lucky enough to wear either one out in you lifetime if you take care of it. Probably the same could be said of your kids.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have owned both, and neither of them have ever failed me with accuracy or reliability. Pick the one that you like best.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
For a medium weight rifle I'd just soon have the vanguard as a 700. I only have one rifle built off a vanguard but like it a lot.

At one time I'd have said the same but would have also said the 700 would save money not having to buy a trigger. The new 700's I've dealt with need a trigger swap too.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Should mention I don't have the new one but a vanguard from a few years ago

C
OP Offline
C
Is this you trying to sell or is this your new purchase?

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Series 2 Vanguard is superior in design and fit and finish. The trigger is just that much better.

The fit and finish, well, Remington is a bit of a joke right now. That Japanese quality control is something else...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've owned and used way more 700's than Vanguards but looking at them from a stand point of design and execution the Weatherby will always come out on top.

I've had many of them apart and have rebarreled maybe 40 or so 700's and 5 or 6 Vanguards.

The Vanguard has a one piece bolt...the 700,...three pieces all brazed together.

The Vanguard has an extractor very similar to the M16 extractor that is often retrofitted to a 700 bolt....the 700 extractor, while they do not often fail, is a piece of formed spring steel fit loosely into a groove. Later ones are not even riveted.

The Vanguard has a flat bottom receiver and an integral recoil lug.

The Vanguard has a firing pin assembly that's easily removed and reinstalled by hands only...a direct copy of the Sako L and A series rifles which the Vanguard copies a lot from. A long action Vanguard is almost a drop in fit into a Sako L61R/AIII stock.

The Vanguard is a LOT of rifle for the money.

Flame suit on and buttoned tightly......:-)

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by carvera1

Neither. This is a Vanguard S2 in 257Wby I owned until recently when I made the mistake of letting a close friend borrow it. He decided he didn't want to give it back and gave me cash instead. I have a custom 257Wby on the way from another forum member. However, I have an itch to try a 240Wby and it is now offered in the S2, so I may have another one soon. They really are hard to beat for the $.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rembo
I've owned and used way more 700's than Vanguards but looking at them from a stand point of design and execution the Weatherby will always come out on top.

I've had many of them apart and have rebarreled maybe 40 or so 700's and 5 or 6 Vanguards.

The Vanguard has a one piece bolt...the 700,...three pieces all brazed together.

The Vanguard has an extractor very similar to the M16 extractor that is often retrofitted to a 700 bolt....the 700 extractor, while they do not often fail, is a piece of formed spring steel fit loosely into a groove. Later ones are not even riveted.

The Vanguard has a flat bottom receiver and an integral recoil lug.

The Vanguard has a firing pin assembly that's easily removed and reinstalled by hands only...a direct copy of the Sako L and A series rifles which the Vanguard copies a lot from. A long action Vanguard is almost a drop in fit into a Sako L61R/AIII stock.

The Vanguard is a LOT of rifle for the money.

Flame suit on and buttoned tightly......:-)

+1 the only cons vs a 700 is action weight and availability of aftermarket parts. It is so much better designed and executed that it is not even fuggin funny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TATELAW

Neither. This is a Vanguard S2 in 257Wby I owned until recently when I made the mistake of letting a close friend borrow it. He decided he didn't want to give it back and gave me cash instead. I have a custom 257Wby on the way from another forum member. However, I have an itch to try a 240Wby and it is now offered in the S2, so I may have another one soon. They really are hard to beat for the $.

A friend? One who would take a friends gun and not give it back isn't a friend he's a user of people. This guy would have been chatting with local law enforcement and if that didn't work he would have been in a civil court. Personally I wouldn't trust this guy a with a gun or anything else I valued.

NRA Lifetime Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by TATELAW

A friend? One who would take a friends gun and not give it back isn't a friend he's a user of people. This guy would have been chatting with local law enforcement and if that didn't work he would have been in a civil court. Personally I wouldn't trust this guy a with a gun or anything else I valued.

Guess maybe that post came across wrong. It was meant to be funny. He's still my friend. After using that rifle he told me I could sell it to him or help him order it's duplicate online. And he really pushed for keeping mine. I have plenty of other rifles so I came up with a price and moved up to a custom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,375
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.