Print Thread
Hop To
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am considering these 2 as options for my wife. Roger is about $100 more. Is it really any better? If so in what regard? Taurus has exposed hammer which can be cocked for single action trigger pull which might be nice at times but it also could be a negative in quickly getting it out of a purse.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you have just answered your own question. Other than that both handguns are pretty much equal, although there are some real Taurus haters here on the forum that will disagree with me. You might also want to consider one of the S&W 638 or 642 revolvers, although this will bump up the price by a couple of hundred bucks.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neither. Get her a KelTec PF9 or P3AT. Come by here and check out ours, and even go shoot them if you like. P3AT is avaialble for about $250 out the door and the PF9 is only slightly larger, quite a bit more powerful, has no external safty - which I abhor on a pocket gun - and can go home with you from this weekends gun show for about $300-325 total. Both have pretty darned good and easy to pull DAO triggers with fairly short takeup.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OOPS! My brain was thinking LCP when I read your question because I have been on the phone and texting back and forth with our mutual freind Ben G about small pocket auto pistols.

LCR all the way! Wait until you try the double action triggers on both side by side. NO comparison, the LCR is a totally new design and rocks. Wipes out all of the other previsoud double action revolver pulls save for an older Python, and is better even than our '68 Colt COBRA! Single action pull is of no importance or value in a pocket gun and learning to shoot it by manipulating the hammer first is a GREAT way for a loved one to lose a gunfight.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
However, I still consider the PF9 to be the superior daily carry firearm even over the LCP. We sold Sherri's LCP this past weekend for goodresons, and the Colt Cobra will be on the table this Saturday for the same ones. Compared to the PF-9, both revolvers are PHAT! And, the PF-9 holds 8 with one in the tube, and a better double action trigger pull than even the quite excellent for a revolver LCR.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if all else is equal, I'd go taurus for the price difference...
they really are a remarkable company...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Mark, tell me more as to why you like the Kel-Tec PF9 over the Ruger LCP in 9mm. Those sound like good options. Overall I think my wife would do better with a revolver as they are just so simple. She does also tend to have trouble working a slide. We should probably try yours as you kindly offered.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
You might also want to consider one of the S&W 638 or 642 revolvers, although this will bump up the price by a couple of hundred bucks.
Nope. The J-frames sell for around $420, so they are cheaper than an LCR and only a little more than a Taurus. The Tauri polymers are bulky and you'll have trouble with finding a holster for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In before Travis....

I like Taurus, they have some haters, but I like their guns

With that being said, I think Ruger stuff is better and I don't think you could go wrong with the LCR....I hear nothing but great things about them

and Travis

GFY

laugh

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by safariman
OOPS! My brain was thinking LCP when I read your question because I have been on the phone and texting back and forth with our mutual freind Ben G about small pocket auto pistols.

LCR all the way! Wait until you try the double action triggers on both side by side. NO comparison, the LCR is a totally new design and rocks. Wipes out all of the other previsoud double action revolver pulls save for an older Python, and is better even than our '68 Colt COBRA! Single action pull is of no importance or value in a pocket gun and learning to shoot it by manipulating the hammer first is a GREAT way for a loved one to lose a gunfight.

This +1 the LCR trigger is much nicer than a 642

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rufous
Mark, tell me more as to why you like the Kel-Tec PF9 over the Ruger LCP in 9mm. Those sound like good options. Overall I think my wife would do better with a revolver as they are just so simple. She does also tend to have trouble working a slide. We should probably try yours as you kindly offered.

Sherri and I were all set to buy her an LCP until we looked at it. It has an external manual safety and that is a total non starter for a beggining shooter or anyone else who is not going to traind and practice the draw + release the safety maneuver enough to make it second nature and an automatic muscle memory repsonse.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I would take a Ruger over a Taurus any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I have had some bad experiences with Taurus and will never buy another one.

I am sure some may have had the opposite experience, but this is my opinion based on my own experience.

Safariman, There must be several different models of LCP because the LCP I have in my hand as I type this has no external manual safety.

edit: You must be talking about the LC9 and not the LCP

Last edited by Notropis; 01/10/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Notropis

edit: You must be talking about the LC9 and not the LCP

Yes he is, LCP has no safety

LC9 needs no safety

Last edited by Boococky; 01/10/13.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boococky
In before Travis....

I like Taurus, they have some haters, but I like their guns

With that being said, I think Ruger stuff is better and I don't think you could go wrong with the LCR....I hear nothing but great things about them

and Travis

GFY

laugh
"they have some haters" >is a understatement ...as i agree, "they suk" x10........now they mite be doing something rite....but prior to 2003'...they suk x15

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW, my brain just ain't firin on all 5 cylinders! I know, totally, that the LCP and LCR have no external safety's and have no earthly idea how I screwed up my posts so badly. I WAS thinking LC-9, which we were interested in until we saw the safety and I completely misseed that the LC9 was not part of this disscussion. DOH! (Hitting head with palm of hand repeatedly....)

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Pain meds will do that to ya, BTDT.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The LCRP.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is an elevator gun. No need for target practice concepts (single action). No snag, shoot it from your coat pocket or purse if need be. You'll be buying new underwear if you ever need to use it that way anyhow, so you'll already be in the store when you replace them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rufous
I am considering these 2 as options for my wife. Roger is about $100 more. Is it really any better? If so in what regard? Taurus has exposed hammer which can be cocked for single action trigger pull which might be nice at times but it also could be a negative in quickly getting it out of a purse.

in my conversations with a man that has sold guns for over 20 years at a local shop the return rate on Taurus handguns is higher than other equally priced models manufactured by other venders. A Keltec or Bersa is a better choice, I am not a Taurus hater simply a conveyer of a learned opinion.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,283
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.