Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Sitting in the treestand last night hoping for a late season doe, I was looking down and this fella popped out of the cedar trees. I couldn't believe my eyes. I have heard we have cats in the area ( big and small) but had never seen one.

I know a 25-06 with a 100 grainer is not optimum for the fur but what ya gonna do? Actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

This one is getting a full mount. Who knows if I will ever get another chance. I hear we have a pretty good taxidermist just 90 min away in Rogers Ar , Karen's Taxidermy.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Beautiful! If a critter can look elegant, Bobcats do. Congrats! One day I hope to accomplish such a feat.

Youtube:
The complete idiots guide to atheism.
The Four Horseman. Discussions with Richard Dawkins
God Is Not Great. Christopher Hitchens
Do not fear education.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dat is a nice, well marked cat!

Congrats!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man I'm envious. Been four years since I've even seen a cat let alone called one....We have a few around but they aren't easy to find......Again I'm envious!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
big cat. Did you weigh him? Oh and yeah that hole is nothing for a good taxidermist to fix/hide. Congrats!

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That looks a lot like my wifes housecat!

Really though, that my friend is a gorgeous looking pelt. Will make a nice mount.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We've called 3 in the last 2 years while coyote hunting, but haven't been able to seal the deal. One of those included dad using the butt of his rifle to knock the cat back as it jumped the brush in front of him to get to the 'dying rabbit'. Another came in and sat behind and left of me, distance all of 5 yards. I couldn't move to shoot because it had me pegged. Stared at me for a good 5 minutes before getting nervous and bolting.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bbassi
big cat. Did you weigh him? Oh and yeah that hole is nothing for a good taxidermist to fix/hide. Congrats!

He weighed over 21#. Can't remember exactly how much. 32 in from nose to tail. I forgot to measure how tall but I am guessing 14"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nice cat, you gonna mount him or just skin him?

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice lots of spots
224TH

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice looking cat, and congrats!

I have never gotten one myself yet, but 2 days ago, I was calling coyotes and had one "show up" just 10 feet to my right! I didnt know what made the noise so close and when I turned my head, he was gone in a flash. Very cool experience!

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Cheesy
We've called 3 in the last 2 years while coyote hunting, but haven't been able to seal the deal. One of those included dad using the butt of his rifle to knock the cat back as it jumped the brush in front of him to get to the 'dying rabbit'. Another came in and sat behind and left of me, distance all of 5 yards. I couldn't move to shoot because it had me pegged. Stared at me for a good 5 minutes before getting nervous and bolting.

Watch what ya wish for. I think that .25c bullet just cost me $600.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Dat is a nice, well marked cat!

Congrats!

+ 1 It's a beauty!

Cheesy, a cat might let you move to shoot it without bolting. It is worth trying. grin They are a lot more unafraid than coyotes up close and it is not uncommon to have a cat simply watch while the hunter lifts or swings a rifle, etc. I've had coyotes inside of ten feet bolt with the first quarter inch I moved, but have had a number of bobcats watch while I got into a shooting position and shot up to three arrows at the same cat without having it bolt!

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
nice cat, you gonna mount him or just skin him?

I have shown the cat to a few guys around here and they seem to think it has nice markings. I don't know, this is the first one I have ever saw in person.

This could be one of those, once in a lifetime moments so,
this cat is getting a full body mount.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always wanted to do one in a sleeping pose, on a piece of driftwood or similar, with one leg hanging off the side.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I always wanted to do one in a sleeping pose, on a piece of driftwood or similar, with one leg hanging off the side.

In jest, I suggested,to my wife, a similar pose to sit on our mantle. Believe it or not, she liked the idea.

I think I am going for a lying down,head up, kind of looking around motif.

The head is nice size and well marked, the whiskers are very pronounced and I want to make sure I use all the good attributes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats man. Awesome cat!

really big cat,my first time to see this.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think the spots running down the legs to the feet are unique. Purdy cat. Congrats. Ever try trapping?

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Very beautiful cat!

Billington Ranch Taxidermy in Georgetown Texas is one of the best bobcat taxidermist's I have come across. She did a great job on my cat a couple years ago and currently is working on a coyote my wife shot.
We shipped the coyote to her priority mail from Nevada, just froze it and wrapped it in a piece of an old junk sleeping bag.

Before.
[Linked Image]
And after, it's the kitty laying down
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.