Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Really kinda freaky. Acts like he's awake, and if you didn't know any better you wouldn't know. Except the little things. Leaving lights on, incoherent speech, it was kinda funny at first, but I'm wondering now if I need to do something to stop it. IF I can do anything to stop it.

BGG,

Connor, my 8 year old, has done it when he's extremely over-tired. He'll actually have a "conversation" that you're not really privy to.

It's been a while since it's happened but I generally just pick him up and put him back in bed. Freaked me out the first time....

George

He first started this stuff a couple years ago when we had him on singulair. Had night terrors, and seemed to get real emotional. There's usually 1 month out of the summer when his allergies kick off, and the singulair was to help that. After dealing with the consequenses we said "f" the singulair and just give him sudafed. The sleepwalking seemed to disappear, but has recently made a resurgence. I can't link it to any meds, as he's not on any.

MAGA

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yeah, my boy used to do it. It was kinda spooky the first few times. Had to make sure the doors were dead bolted and be extra careful by the stairs.

He hasn't done it now for about 5 years that I'm aware of.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Like the title says. Alot. No drugs, no underlaying tension or bad schit. Good kid, smart, healthy. Hung the moon. grin

Curious, as I never did as a kid, but am dealing with it now. Lots of folks on here have or have had kids, and I figured maybe somebody on here has dealt with it. Curious as to what you did and why.

Thanks
It's just another sleep disorder.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/5_steps_stopping_sleepwalker

My Grandma, God rest her soul, was one of those morbid old southern gals who thought nothing of scraing the shixt out of kids. I loved Grandma, but just sayin'...

She told this story about some family that lived on the edge of a cliff above some body of water. They had a son who would go out at night, strip down, and dive into the water and swim. The catch was, he didn't know how to swim. Evidently the dad had been observing this and told the mom who waited up and watched him dive off. She screamed, knowing he couldn't swim. It woke him up and he drowned. Grandma told this right after hearing that I'd Sleep Walked.

Whether the story is true or allegorical, I have no idea, but like the link says, it can be dangerous.

When it first started I tried to wake him up a couple times. Jesus that was never a good idea. Now, like others have said, we just tuck him back in and go on like it never happened.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BGG;
Our eldest used to do what you're describing and also went through a stretch of what we believe was called "night terrors" as well.

Link:
http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/sleep/terrors.html

The two would be combined sometimes and she'd be absolutely inconsolable when we'd find her. It made having a wood stove problematic to say the least and we made sure the doors were all locked.

A friend actually had to install hook and eye latches on their doors - taller than the child could reach, as the child would wander outside while sleep walking. Again in winter in Montana that wouldn't be a good thing.

Our daughter is now 17 and is a well adjusted, wonderful young lady, so like others have said, she grew out of it.

It did make for some pretty sporty sleepless nights for awhile though for sure.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir and good luck with your youngster's sleep disorder.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our 6yo boy does it. He doesn't talk a great deal, but does occasion.

We really have to watch that he doesn't do things like pee in the bathtub or in his trash can like he did a couple months ago.

Basically we let him do his thing, but we always keep a sharp eye on him when we hear him get out of bed.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tzone
Yeah, my boy used to do it. It was kinda spooky the first few times. Had to make sure the doors were dead bolted and be extra careful by the stairs.

He hasn't done it now for about 5 years that I'm aware of.

That's just it. If he doesn't use the bathroom, or wander into my bedroom I'd never know he was up. I wonder how often it happens I'm unaware of. Gonna have to figure something out.

Game cameras maybe? (that's a joke)

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
BGG;
Our eldest used to do what you're describing and also went through a stretch of what we believe was called "night terrors" as well.

Link:
http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/sleep/terrors.html

The two would be combined sometimes and she'd be absolutely inconsolable when we'd find her. It made having a wood stove problematic to say the least and we made sure the doors were all locked.

A friend actually had to install hook and eye latches on their doors - taller than the child could reach, as the child would wander outside while sleep walking. Again in winter in Montana that wouldn't be a good thing.

Our daughter is now 17 and is a well adjusted, wonderful young lady, so like others have said, she grew out of it.

It did make for some pretty sporty sleepless nights for awhile though for sure.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir and good luck with your youngster's sleep disorder.

Regards,
Dwayne

AHHH you guys are going to give me nightmares!

His motor control doesn't seem well enough to go down the stairs, or manipulate door handles, but who knows? He has run full speed down the hallway.

MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My brother had a bout of same when he was a lad, it turned out to a tonsil infection.
Antibiotics cleared up the infection and the sleepwalking.

Unlikely to be your lads problem...but you never know.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mine has done it a few times. Pretty similar to the other examples already given. Talks to us and appears to be awake but never remembers it the following day. Hasn't happened in a long time now, he is almost 12. Growing out of it maybe?

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Do you have a local sleep clinic? You could see what they say. I never made it outside that anyone told me about.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BGG:
I'm truly sorry as that's not my intention whatsoever sir.

Our daughter's motor controls were such that she never mastered door handles that well either, though she did make it into our bedroom a time or two - so that's why I mentioned the deadbolt.

Our wood burner is upstairs from where we all sleep and come to think of it she never made the stairs either.

Anyway sir, I do wish you all the best with this and didn't mean to add to your family's angst in dealing with it.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Originally Posted by Wingnut53
They grow out of it. The key is keeping the locks on the doors high enough they can not get out.

Exactly. My oldest use to do it, freaked me out the first few times, she did the talking thing too. But she grew out of it a couple of years after.

Me & little brother both did it as kids. Parents swore we would also sleep walk at the same time & carry on a conversation with each other! We both grew out of it by the time we were in high school, though.

Little brother used to sleep walk outside. Parents would usually hear the back door being un-locked & the door open! They found him wondering around in the back yard several times. He never woke up during those episodes, & they would lead him back to the house & back to bed. He never once woke up during these episodes!
Fortunately for him, we didn't live in town on a busy street!

He says my 16 year old nephew does the exact same thing, now. Wonder if it's hereditary?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Will chime in on this one. It is a zoo around here at night wife and one of the girls both sleep walk. The wife will gasp and say they are in the house they are in the house.
I grab the 45 clear the house and go back to the bed room and she is sound asleep twice this year. Losing my hair. They both will walk down the stairs walk talk pour milk never drink it. It is crazy. Wife says she has always done it. Me and older daughter sleep sound no issues.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I did it when I was little. We had a dead bolt out of reach on the door because my parents caught me one time heading out to play in the snow. I had my hat, coat and boots on over my pajamas. I remember waking up on the floor one time with them kneeling next to me.

My son was getting night terrors for a stretch where he'd sit up with his eyes open and mutter things but he never got out of bed. We would just sit next to him and rub his back and speak to him quietly and after a few minutes he'd lay back down and close his eyes.

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
BGG:
I'm truly sorry as that's not my intention whatsoever sir.

Our daughter's motor controls were such that she never mastered door handles that well either, though she did make it into our bedroom a time or two - so that's why I mentioned the deadbolt.

Our wood burner is upstairs from where we all sleep and come to think of it she never made the stairs either.

Anyway sir, I do wish you all the best with this and didn't mean to add to your family's angst in dealing with it.

Regards,
Dwayne

No worries sir.

At a balmy -12 currently I'd think the shock would wake him up and send him back inside pretty quick.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
be careful, many kids do sleep walk and grow out of it but if he is older it may be the sign of other problems, like sleep apnea.

I started sleep walking when I was probably around 19, I would dress my self, eat and and usually wake myself up in the livingroom of my apartment. One day however I woke up dressed for work trying to start my pickup, I was cognitive enough to open the hood and woke my self up slaming the hood of my pickup. Usually I just make frozen juice concentrate when I sleep walk. Then in Aug, I was put on a CPAP machine and low and behold if I use the machine I don't sleep walk, unfortunately with my current back situation I can't use my cpap so I pretty much sleep walk every night. Now I mix formula for the baby and leave bottles in his crib for him.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My youngest did it from about age 2 til 5 or 6...

Did it most often when he was over tired, or we got home late from somewhere...

first time was the worst as we had no idea til we woke up with him screaming at the top of his lungs in the middle of a pitch black night.
he was almost 2 and had gotten into the laundry room and the door closed behind him. Guessing he woke up when he couldn't get it back open.

Spooky and startling, but not overly dangerous, if you are aware and take some precautions.

He also had some episodes of night terrors for a couple of years...
nothing will get you out of bed faster...

Best of luck...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Im 29 and I do it still. Seems like I will tie in something that I am participating in, example- after putting out ant poision I got up flipped on the lights and started wiping invisible ants out of the bed, When me and a bud used to hunt snakes I would get up and SWEAR there were snakes along the baseboards. I was working on my stove in the camper and that night I told my wife to get out of bed and let the stove repairman in the front door.

When I lived at home I got in the shower (fully clothed) and the cold water woke me up when I turned it on.

Walked outside a hotel room in Elk City OK in my skivvies one night and the door shutting woke me up, SOB nearly called the cops on me when I went to the lobby and got a new key in my drawers. (didnt have any other options)

I kind of halfway know what Im doing but cant really think straight, its like a VERY realistic dream.

My parents would just tell me to go back to bed and I would. My wife tells me im making no sense and ill try to explain it to her until I finally wake myself up and realize what Im thinking is happening is not real.

Last edited by smithwr; 01/12/13.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My son also had these Dwayne.

He was near impossible to wake up. There were times when I'd carry him outside on the deck, in winter so the cold air would wake him up. That worked well, actually.

He'd wake up and the poor little guy wouldn't know what was going on.

Like I said previously, he's been sleep walk/terror free for about 4-5 years now.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My sister did it when we were growing up and I remember dad putting a lock on the front and back doors so she couldn't go outside. After awhile she quit doing it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,916
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.