-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined the site in 1998 or 99... great place for African hunting information... that's about it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoy the site, especially the African hunting and gunsmithing sections. I don't read the political stuff, so it does not affect me in the least.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They have a forum just for lefties - left handed people, I should clarify. That's where I heard about the two very limited runs of Ruger LH stainless steel short action rifles and also the group buy of left handed Zastava Mausers.

Saeed al-Maktoum is a member of the royal family of the United Arab Emirates. Several years ago he sent me a $500 check as first prize in an old Poatal Match here at 24hcf. IIRC I bought something nice for myself with a couple hundred of it and donated the rest to the NRA.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I visit AR and the 'Fire on a daily basis. Two different deals, IMO. If you want to hunt Africa (anywhere in Africa), I can't think of a better site than AR in terms of up-to-date info. Everything from hunting regs, travel info, PH's and the areas they hunt, CITES-related stuff, etc, etc - it's there. For example, they were way out in front on the Botswana and Zambia situations.

The Gunsmithing and other hunting rifle-related sections are pretty good too. Quite a few ACGG members post there (yes, I know some are active here as well) and there's a good amount of wildcatters there and I find their input very informative.

If you don't like their political leanings, it's pretty easy - avoid those sub-forums. A lot like here.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pinotguy
I visit AR and the 'Fire on a daily basis. Two different deals, IMO. If you want to hunt Africa (anywhere in Africa), I can't think of a better site than AR in terms of up-to-date info. Everything from hunting regs, travel info, PH's and the areas they hunt, CITES-related stuff, etc, etc - it's there. For example, they were way out in front on the Botswana and Zambia situations.

The Gunsmithing and other hunting rifle-related sections are pretty good too. Quite a few ACGG members post there (yes, I know some are active here as well) and there's a good amount of wildcatters there and I find their input very informative.

If you don't like their political leanings, it's pretty easy - avoid those sub-forums. A lot like here.

I agree with all of the above.

From all I can see, Saeed al Maktoum is quite a good guy, a very fine, world class competitive shotgunner and extremely generous with many people, even those that he doesn't know. He is a member of the royal family of Dubai, though I don't know his exact role or if he is the one that runs Emirate Air and I understand he went to school in the US (Denver?) He is wildly crazy about guns and hunting, especially in Africa.

There are some threads on AR that demonstrate expertise and disclose both new and old information that I never see here -- and of course, vice versa. Both covered the Zastava LH Mauser group buy (I bought one) but I'd say AR provided better input on it.

I think you really need to follow both. Personally, I haven't seen anything there that I consider offensive to Americans (of which I am one.) But then, I've been out and around the world more than most and measure it against the truly stupid comments I get from all over. laugh

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I frequented AR many years ago. Then I found this place with very many knowledgeable people and without all the anti-USA crap. I've not logged on there in years.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They have a good African section, and a well informed combination gun bunch, so I go there to look in about every day.

I also have some good friends I hunt with now over on AR. Things have slowed there, and I think it's mostly due to the economy.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I visit both,here more now than there.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The classifieds over there use to be pretty damn good now days not much over there... The political forums I get a good laugh... The main one daman was banned then came back under a new alias and again was banned.. But there are several more of those clowns over there that are xtremely left leaning...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Seafire
...Walter, he's just a pompous horses asss...child of escaped Nazis who went to Chile, after WW 2... he hates anything to do with the USA..

That explains an awful lot right there.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AR earned its current status with great diligence and perseverance. Screw 'em.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pretty much stopped going over there. I spent most of my time on the net either here or watching streaming TV and some You tube, mostly history stuff. I am trying to ween myself off of the computer. With little or no work, its just a distraction. Even thou this is my favorite place on the world wide web, I have not posted a whole lot over the number of years I been here.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have spent time on both places. I really enjoy some of the different views from other countries as AR seems to have more members from all over the world.

The traffic has slowed down a little over there
I have met some really good people over there, and some from this site.

Lately (last couple years) I have been spending more time over here.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I spend time on both sites. There are personalities on both sites I just as soon never meet and I ignore when they post.

There are a few 400 Whelen fans over there which is a cartridge near and dear to my heart. We have some good discussions on the merits of this wonderful old wildcat.

I like both sites. I find as much good information and exchange of ideas on one as I do on the other. And there are buffoons on either site.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wouldn't belong to a site that would have you guys as members. shocked

OOPS! blush
Member Profile for partsman one of us

View/Edit Complete Profile

Date Registered: 11 April 2002
Karma Title: one of us
Interests: Hunting
Send Private Message to partsman
View Forum Posts by partsman

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by krp
Just checked my membership and it's still there, joined the same time as here though I've never posted... never posted anywhere until here in '08. Joined sites to use the search function on reloading info, many sites required membership to search.

The thing I remember about that time and AR was Seafire and his bluedot loads... tried some in a 243 and they where amazing.

Haven't looked there in a long time.

Kent

I joined there about the same time you did and made my first post last week.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Anjin
Originally Posted by pinotguy

I agree with all of the above.

From all I can see, Saeed al Maktoum is quite a good guy, a very fine, world class competitive shotgunner and extremely generous with many people, even those that he doesn't know. He is a member of the royal family of Dubai, though I don't know his exact role or if he is the one that runs Emirate Air and I understand he went to school in the US (Denver?) He is wildly crazy about guns and hunting, especially in Africa.

There are some threads on AR that demonstrate expertise and disclose both new and old information that I never see here -- and of course, vice versa. Both covered the Zastava LH Mauser group buy (I bought one) but I'd say AR provided better input on it.

I think you really need to follow both. Personally, I haven't seen anything there that I consider offensive to Americans (of which I am one.) But then, I've been out and around the world more than most and measure it against the truly stupid comments I get from all over. laugh

This, pretty much. I was a member on AR before I stumbled into this joint, actually. wink

It's a lot more diverse, and has more international stuff and some of the kind of hunting/traveling I am interested in than we do here. That said, I have become friends with, and spent time with more folks here. Good folks at both places, but had I to choose, I'd be here.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
They have a forum just for lefties - left handed people, I should clarify. That's where I heard about the two very limited runs of Ruger LH stainless steel short action rifles and also the group buy of left handed Zastava Mausers.

a little off topic, but I got into it with Bricktop over that subject... I had seen some lefty handed Ruger Stainless Left Handed Short Actions at a local gunshop.. almost bought one for Seafire Jr..but he wanted a right handed rifle, as he learn to shoot lefty with a right handed bolt...

but Bricktop called me every name in the book and kept on demanding the name of the gunshop, so he could call them over it... he kept on insisting Ruger "Never Ever Ever made a short action, stainless in a left handed action"

well I guess that makes 2 of us who supposedly were hallucinating when we saw them......

of course I have pretty much ignored BrickTop and his charming personality ever since...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by krp
Just checked my membership and it's still there, joined the same time as here though I've never posted... never posted anywhere until here in '08. Joined sites to use the search function on reloading info, many sites required membership to search.

The thing I remember about that time and AR was Seafire and his bluedot loads... tried some in a 243 and they where amazing.

Haven't looked there in a long time.

Kent

I've heard of that Seafire character and those Blue Dot loads...tried some of them and they worked real well... couldn't believe tho, the guy stole my handle.. so I had to use Seafire2 instead...

guy was some sort of nut as I remember him...

and that political forum was a zoo as I understand it..
between that guy BBBruce ( Beavis) and that other idiot Duhman ( aka Snottie Q, short for Snottie Queen).. some real moronic SOBs over there...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I belong to AR. It's a fantastic site for anything African. I don't go there as much, now, because I don't see me going back to Africa[for both physical and financial reasons]. Stay out of the political forum, and you don't have much trouble. They got trolls over there, same as here, just ignore them. I've metsome real great guys from that site at DSC. Don't know if I would have found the last outfitter I hunted with in Africa, if it wasn't for AR.

maddog

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 14,462 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,078
Posts18,541,462
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.