Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#7270509 01/05/13
E
eton Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Just wondering how most people handle lubing and cleaning the lube off your resized cases.I use Imperial sizing die wax for lubing my cases. I lightly lube the outside body, shoulder and neck. I also lube the inside of the neck. After resizing a bunch of cases, I use paper towels soaked with mineral spirits to clean all the lube off the outside of the cases and Q-tips wet with mineral spirits to clean the inside of the necks. I let the cases dry for a day before loading. When I tried reducing the amount of lube used and eliminated lubing the inside of the necks I ended up with stuck cases. I was hoping you guys could show me a better way.

Thanks

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You only need to lube the bottom 1/3 of the case with the Imperial. I use a dry lube in the neck. I neck size until the rounds get snug to bolt closure then PFL the cases. Into the tumbler to clean the lube off the cases.Rick.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
When using Imperial, I just wipe my fingers around the neck/shoulder area. About every fifth case I drag the first joint of my forefinger at an angle around the mouth of the case.

I used to wipe off Imperial. But I've stopped. I just load and shoot.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use dry lube in the neck and the RCBS water soluble lube with a pad. Because it's water soluble, I just rinse it off and dry my cases in the sun or over a heating vent.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I switched to imperial from the RCBS water soluable stuff. The RCBS was rusting my dies like crazy. I tumble after resizing to clean the brass.

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I use Imperial too. I just touch the surface of the lube and rub it on the case body and neck for every other case. In other words, there's enough lube on my finger for two cases. I will dab my finger on the lube for every case for some of the larger cases and about every third case or so use the case mouth to scrape off a little lube on the inside of the neck to lube the expander button.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use the Hornady case lube spray and run an undersized nylon RCBS case neck brush with cotton cloth to clean off any remaining lube from within the case neck. Seems to work well for me. Takes a bit of time during sizing, but I'm more confident that neck tension is sufficient. I've never noted COAL growth of my loaded rounds.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I use a dry lube on the necks and sizing die wax on the case body wiped on with fingers. I dip a finger on the surface of the wax every other case and lube two cases per dip. When done sizing, I give each case a quick wipe with an old t-shirt.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
What brand of old t-shirt do you use? grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

E
eton Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the responses. I am going to look into the dry lube for inside case necks

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I dry lube the neck and RCBS the botton 1/3rd.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I went to carbide sizer buttons (no lube required), and use dillon spray lube on the outside which I tumble off later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just spray with Hornady One-Shot and tumble the cases. If I don't need to tumble the cases, I give each case a wipe with an old (clean and dry) wash cloth before I prime it.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by the_shootist
What brand of old t-shirt do you use? grin

Dang - never occurred to me to check. I'll need to report back - might be a couple different ones grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I prefer a water based lube such as Lee's paste lube. I put a small dab on my finger and rub the body and neck down, it cleans off very easily with a dry hand towel. I lube the inside of the necks with a qtip rolled in the paste lube and clean it out with an over sized nylon brush. Been using Lee's lube for at least 15 years and see no reason to change, it just plain works. One tube seems to last for 1000s of cases.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
for lubing the necks of cases, since they all pass over the same place.. I just take out the spindle, do a shot of Amzoil version of WD 40 on the sizing ball, and then screw it back in...

the sizing ball touches each cases neck, so why not lube one spot instead of the inside of 50 to 100 case necks?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I use the Hornady One Shot spray product. When finished sizing a batch, I use an old t-shirt with some acetone (outside of course) to remove ALL the lube. Just my OCD I suppose, but I did once set back the lugs on a .30-06, from not removing the lube well enough. After the gunsmithing bills, i decided just wiping them down wasn't doing a good enough job- thus the solvent...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,271
Posts18,486,613
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.