Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hi there

I'm having problems with my BLR .308. When I work my lever on the BLR, the hammer doesn't stay cocked.

I tried it a few times over different occasions. It only stays cocked if I work the lever slowly. If I work the lever as I would when hunting, it will only stay cocked 1/10 times (i.e., unacceptable).

When the breach is open, I only have to barely touch the hammer to give it that 1/2 a hair diameter movement to lock the hammer down. So, what's the problem here? I don't see much wear on the hammer itself. I don't see to much wear on the bolt that cocks it!

So is it the metal bolt moving inside the aluminum housing that's causing wear and too much play? There is some movement of the bolt in the alumimum housing when the lever/breach is open. I'm thinking the issue would be solved if I put more metal on the bolt so it pushes the hammer down the required milimeter (yes - I'm Canadian - about a hair to 1/2 hair diameter). Have any others had this problem? What was your solution. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Off hand I would say take it back to who ever messed with the trigger and have them correct it. Tell them to look to see it the sear spring is in place. If it is, then it sounds like they cut he spring or the sear engagement too short. Have them obtain a new sear, hammer, spring or all three, and try again.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks Malm,

I never messed with the trigger myself (I bought the gun new), but I did let my uncle use it and he is known to "tinker" unnecessarily with things. I will check to see if he did any tinkering while my BLR was in his possession.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When the hammer follows the bolt, one of two things is happening, (a) either the sear spring is too light, out of position or missing, or, (b) the hammer and/or sear have been whittled on to the point where they no longer hold hands when jarred. If I were a betting man I would bet the problem lies with the sear. It is the easiest to get to, requiring very little disassembly.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 56 invisible), 18,835 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,855
Posts18,537,573
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
11 minutes ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.