-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This certainly wouldn't be the point to get into the "Push Feed" vs. "Controlled Feed" debate. How about defensive loads for "pig squealers"?

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2nd,
<br>
<br>Boy, you sure make it HARD for a guy to keep a STRAIGHT face! I think that we've moved over into the area of lubricants and that's all I'm going to say on that subject. I wonder if Imperial Sizing Wax would............., oh never mind!
<br>
<br>Please stop!
<br>
<br>Bearrrly264
<br>
<br>

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very good to see that this place has returned to normal!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sky,
<br>
<br>Beings you've had a little time to stew on your recent bout of poor luck,I'm sorta curious.
<br>
<br>I know you've shot Remingtons that don't suck and I don't doubt you for a second,in the relating of your experiences with less than sterling examples of the same.
<br>
<br>Soooo,with that insight and your recent good fortune allowing you to play with some seriously nice(and accurate)Irons,I have a question.
<br>
<br>What would be your go to Make and Model,taking all of those experiences into account? I'll narrow it down to an off the shelf factory rifle as your first choice. The second choice can be as imaginative as you think your Lovin' Bride would allow you to scheme(grin).
<br>
<br>Interested in your findings and the reasons for it.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Does a Dakota 76 count as an off the shelf factory rifle?

IC B2

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick,
<br>
<br>My take on Big Sky, is that he's a 100% Browning A-Bolt man. He'll not be denied...
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

Brian

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Eye,
<br>
<br>Yes it certainly do,in my book..........
<br>
<br>
<br>BW,
<br>
<br>OUCH!!!.................(grin)

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Only problem with the Dakota 76 is that you tend to cringe at the thought of taking it out of its velvet-lined case, where it might come into contact with the elements. [Linked Image] I've really got to get over that.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quick comment on three subjects--
<br>Remingtons- I have a 700 in 270 that is such a POS that I fully intend to drop it into a deep lake someday, I am afraid to let my kids have it and would be ashamed to sell it to someone
<br>Blain- I have bumped heads with him on another board, and have had doubts about his claims, he seems unsuitable for such a position- but since being here I have been impressed with his knowledge of firearms
<br>Jeeps- I have an old CJ7 that will climb just about anything short of a tree, but I'm not sure I would want to drive it up Muleys road after a Colorado winter storm

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hawkeye, I've always had a "thing" for Savage 99's.
<br>
<br>About ten years ago I found a 99EG (built in 1956) that was in 100% new and unfired condition (chambered in 308 Win). This was one of the factory "drilled and tapped" models with the "Savage 99" logo moved down on the side of the receiver. I bought it for $350! To keep it "traditional" I bought one of Leupold's then new 2.5x "Alaskan" scopes (7/8" steel tube) and mounted it on top in Redfield jr. mounts. It looked right out of the 1956 edition of "Guns Digest!"
<br>
<br>This rifle also shot wonderfully... I constantly got 3/4" groups with 150 grain handloads... problem was the thing was absolutely unblemished and pristine... the thought of dragging it around and mashing it made me sick so I sold it to a 99 collector (wish I hadn't done that!).
<br>
<br>Now, all I own are stainless 70's stocked in "African Walnut" (fiberglass)!
<br>
<br>Bard

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick, stop trying to change the subject from panties back to guns. You haven't been out in the woods long enough yet (grin). Hey Muley, if you get cold down there in my reloading room, you can barrow my fur lined jock. It is the warmest "sleeping bag" I have ever used. Kinda warm and fuzzy too. Oh, and Grand Slams suck! They are blunt and shed velocity worse than a flying railroad tie. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After reading this thread I sure am glad I stuck with my old (1920's & 30's) Winchesters and that cheap ol' Griffin & Howe custom Mauser circa 1929. Them and my two Winnie lever guns ALWAYS work! Not to mention the Winchester 62A now in it's third generation in the family, Oh well guess I got lucky.
<br>
<br>Of course if you just want to get rid of them I believe the trigger guards are big enough to get an anchor line through and my son could use em for anchors on his flats boat! That's a joke son! LOL
<br>
<br>

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
T LEE, don't you know that Mauser 98s have weak and dangerous actions compared to Model 700 Remingtons? [Linked Image] Hope you go easy on it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know, I never put more than 100 or so rounds through it a year. And my son only shoots it about once a month. After all it is 73 years old and we would not want to abuse it. LOL
<br>
<br>I wonder how many thousand rounds have been fired in it since it was built, it might be getting ready to let go on us any time now!
<br>
<br>OH YEAH! I forgot to mention it is an over powered 30-06 caliber for such a weak action! They really should have built it in .22WRF at most right?

Last edited by T LEE; 07/11/02.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Big Stick, that's a fair question but awfully tough to answer, well at least the first part. To be perfectly honest the only lower end rifle I'm even slightly considering is a Winchester Stealth in .308. Pretty hard to find anything to not like about them except the safety, but that's a small thing that I can adjust to. Moving up the scale slightly I fondled a new Weatherby Super Varmiter today. Ummmm, that Weatherby was pretty nice and I'm thinking I may have to have one before too long but in an Accumark or Super Big Game of course it will be in .257 Weatherby. (Is there any other Weatherby calibers?)grin On the custom end of things I'm really wanting a GA Precision Rock rifle waaaaaay more than is healthy. However my beer-budget income will likely dictate I settle for a clone as near as possible. Yes, it will be on a Remington action. I still like their actions over all, but I'm just a little more than fed up with my poor luck lately. The rings and mounts just arrived today for that .257 you sent me. I'll get it put together and be shooting in the near future. I have high hopes for good things. If all goes well I have an action just waiting for a new barrel.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whewwwwwww!
<br>
<br>There's hope for you yet(grin). Just makin' sure you weren't goin' off the deep end on me!
<br>
<br>I'm gonna build a rifle I believe you'll very much like. It will be "The Boulder"(grin). Rem700 long action based. Badger bottom metal,TS&S base/rings(clipslotted,as they are coming on line shortly),Hart S/S 1-10",#7 fluted,in 300Winny and 25" long. The stock will be an HTG,I'm thinkin' Woodland or Desert camo,heavy-filled,Decelerator and flushcups. Rifle Basix trigger,Tyler trigger shoe(love those fat triggers)and Leupie 3.5-10X. All metal matte black.
<br>
<br>That blueprint has been in my mind,for a long while and I've debated barrel maker,bases/rings and specific chambering countless times. I think the aforementioned,will be the final blueprint(unless I change my mind again).
<br>
<br>Now noone tell Big Momma,cuz it might be her Xmas present!................

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That certainly sounds like a fine plan. Only one more thing would make it perfect. You should plan on coming down here for it's maiden voyage. Plains deer or antelope would be the perfect host for that set up. I think you'll very much like that Hart barrel, they sure make me look good anyway.

Is it Friday yet?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Sounds like a rifle any woman would love for Christmas.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm soooooo tempted to go PacNor 3-groove. A pard will have his rebuilt 7STW back,in a couple days. It will be wearin' a PacNor #2 contour,S/S SuperMatch,1-10",3-groove that is 26" long. I can taste it!
<br>
<br>I'm thinkin' work is going to take me very late in the year,with even a slight bit of help from the weather. If that's the case,I'll try to make plans for next Fall('03) in your neck of the woods. You can shoot The Boulder,I'll tote the 257Wby!.................

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well you know the door is always open if you are in town. Oh and the hunting and finding something to shoot at is always good too.

Is it Friday yet?
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,839
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.