Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I will be honest. I've gone to Yellowstone once. It was during the summer. It was worse than Disneyland on Fourth of July. There were more people than trees. I'd like to go again, but in early autumn.

The park is beautiful. But expect long lines, even for showers. We left early due to the crowds. Remember that while you'll see lots of huge animals, they are wild yet they appear tame. They'll meander right through camp grounds and up to cars. They don't fear people. I would keep a safe distance. I saw tourists walking up to bison & moose. Not too bright...

BTW, I was once told of the famous Gardiner, MT elk hunt. I was fascinated until the guy came to the part about the hunt's intent was to thin out Yellowstone's elk herd. He called it shopping for a trophy. Shooting elk that're de facto tame wasn't my idea of a fair chase hunt. So I've never applied.

I've lived in CA my entire life & I've never been to Yosemite for the same reason. Crowds in a wilderness doesn't do it for me. But I've been told that Yosemite is beautiful as well. I just ain't too fond of traffic jams, which is why I will only go into LA if I absolutely have to, and I was born there; well, Inglewood actually, which is renowned for its urban artists that cops call taggers with spray paint.

I do wish you the best possible Yellowstone experience.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by MColeman
DON'T camp near Lewis River Canyon--I saw mosquitoes carrying off the bones of a buffalo after they had drained it. I think they were going to use it as wolf bait...

Yeah, they sure grow 'em big there. And West Yellowstone just might be the mosquito capitol of the civilized world!

...and LOTS of 'em. smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The times I went I stayed in a tent in the Madison campground. It wasn't uncommon to see buffalo there.

Take your time. Look around. A day trip down to Grand Tetons isn't a bad idea, either. (If you do, take a hike around Jenny Lake.) And I agree that a trip to Cody is very worthwhile. Make sure you do the walks around all the thermal features near Old Faithful, like fountain paint pots, etc.

And take lots and lots of pics!!!!

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Laguna
I will be honest. I've gone to Yellowstone once. It was during the summer. It was worse than Disneyland on Fourth of July. There were more people than trees. I'd like to go again, but in early autumn.

I thought the Fourth of July was early autumn in Wyoming/Montana.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I was there years ago. I think I was 8 years old. Pretty cool. I saw ' ole faithful', paint pots and the purple mountains with tons of animals, everywhere. I was given' my first 'big' knife from the store in the tree from Yellowstone. I cant wait till my kids are old enough to take them there. BTW, its gonna blow soon.

Last edited by fester; 01/14/13.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of great advice on where but my one piece of advice is bring a spotting scope and make sure all members of the family have their own set of binos.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The park is beautiful. But expect long lines, even for showers. We left early due to the crowds. Remember that while you'll see lots of huge animals, they are wild yet they appear tame. They'll meander right through camp grounds and up to cars. They don't fear people. I would keep a safe distance. I saw tourists walking up to bison & moose. Not too bright...

BTW, I was once told of the famous Gardiner, MT elk hunt. I was fascinated until the guy came to the part about the hunt's intent was to thin out Yellowstone's elk herd. He called it shopping for a trophy. Shooting elk that're de facto tame wasn't my idea of a fair chase hunt. So I've never applied.

I've lived in CA my entire life & I've never been to Yosemite for the same reason. Crowds in a wilderness doesn't do it for me. But I've been told that Yosemite is beautiful as well. I just ain't too fond of traffic jams, which is why I will only go into LA if I absolutely have to, and I was born there; well, Inglewood actually, which is renowned for its urban artists that cops call taggers with spray paint.

You know they do have this thing called "trails" that allow you to walk AWAY from people and INTO the wilderness.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have popup trailers you are not going to find a place in the Park, Tents yes. Your best bet is in any of the towns by an entrance, West Yellowstone, Jackson, Cody, etc. Between the South entrance and GTNP is Flagg Ranch and you can have a popup there. We live in Idaho so we go to Island Park, id which have lots of campgrounds, both private and Forest Service which have power hookups, though not sewer. You can day trip from each entrance and see the Park in it entirety. Grand Teton NP is also great to see. Have fun!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Two things from me, If you want to eat in the resturants make a reservation now. You will see way more animals if you are on the road before daylight. Rick

The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

Exact reason why I do not go to Cali. Study up, find the best time to go. Not too early, not too late. You may want to stay.

Last edited by idnative1948; 01/14/13.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Pugs
Lots of great advice on where but my one piece of advice is bring a spotting scope and make sure all members of the family have their own set of binos.

lol. and their own smokes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been going to Yellowstone since 1955. There are few hookups in the Park at all. Your best bet is a place like West Yellowstone at the west entrance with several RV parks. The campgrounds in Y stone have a lot of warnings about bears and most kids and many adults that are not used to that kind of stuff have trouble sleeping in a tent or tent trailer with soft sides. You can commute to the Park. Cody is the other great place to stay and deserves a trip on the way there or home.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
srp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bug juice and sunscreen. Just saying.

A fool uttereth all his mind - Proverbs 29:11
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,677
Posts18,534,241
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.