Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There is definitely a lower population over here on the eastern part. I don't have numbers to back it up, or do I have first hand knowledge on seeing dead bucks/deer laying around, but from hunting this area for the past 10 years, I can say this is the lowest number of deer I have seen.

I would say the EHD would be a contributor here, but I also think, (again, pure speculation), but I think the late season antler less rifle season has had an effect also.

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Joe...AGREE!!! At least the friggin state reduced the season from 16 to 9 days this yr. They need to NOT HAVE IT THIS YEAR!!!! but of course they want their money...too bad its not the actual animals the DNR/state is worried about. Heck, im not sure there were 1300 'excess' does in our county but thats the number the put on this county for the rifle anterless season (of which many shed buck get whacked).

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It was about 5 years ago when the numbers were quite high, and I was an advocate for people eating lean, quality venison. I was successful turning people towards venison, evening butchering it, and giving it away. The people liked it so much that they request some each year. Now that numbers are low, I have to tell people that I don't want to wipe out my population at my hunting spots!

Some guys I know around here don't allow killing does anymore, only bucks. I never thought I would see the day where people would not want to take does.

I took a 140 class this year, and have a late season doe tag for the freezer (to go along with the buck of course..), but that will be it for me this year.

Congrats on your 160-180's!

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can't get dear and turkey in Wayne county it's because you are the one that's dead. It won't be the games falut. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
D
Dingmo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
This lease is still available; first guy backed out after we had a deal struck.

IC B2

D
Dingmo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
bump

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's been steadily declining where we hunt in Z3 the last few years. We saw fewer deer last year than we ever have. I didn't even go this season , but Dad did and said it was even worse than last year with the EHD outbreak due to the flood last year. They found dead deer all over. Sad deal.

Always wanted to hunt the Eastern side of the state, just haven't gotten around to it. Wouldnt mind hunting z4 either, there are some toads coming from there.

D
Dingmo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I've tromped around 800A+ in Wayne County and only found one doe that probably died of EHD. Our herd is healthy.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That's great. If it wasn't for the NR draw dilemma, I could lease this with some buds no problem.

Good luck with the lease.

Loder

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I hunt with a guy here in New Jersey that owns land in Southeast Iowa, he draws a NR bow tag about every three years and a gun tag about every two years. He has friends that put in and draw differnent years so someone is always hunting the property, especially during gun seasons. They shoot some huge deer on his property, I hope this helps.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 4,273 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,653
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.